Passing along some info on 2020 filing and stimulus payments.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
As I finalize our 2020 returns there were some surprises I thought I'd share FYI. First, I found that the IRS comments on reporting EIP payments received is incorrect, or at least out of date. I verified this with TurboTax support. There is a worksheet for stimulus rebate that requires you to enter any previous EIP payments as income, which I think is fair. However this contradicts this statement I pulled from IRS.gov:

A11. No, the payments are not includible in your gross income. Therefore, you will not include the payments in your taxable income on your Federal income tax return or pay income tax on your payment. They will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2020 Federal income tax return.
These payments will not affect your income for purposes of determining eligibility for federal government assistance or benefit programs.

So there's that. There is also no mention of the college age dependent stimulus on the rebate worksheet. It is still 17 and under.

Finally for those of use taking 401K dispersements and getting SSI, they are allowing you to spread the tax payment over 3 years. For me that was a big difference but may not be for most folks.

As I finalize our 2020 returns there were some surprises I thought I'd share FYI. First, I found that the IRS comments on reporting EIP payments received is incorrect, or at least out of date. I verified this with TurboTax support. There is a worksheet for stimulus rebate that requires you to enter any previous EIP payments as income, which I think is fair. However this contradicts this statement I pulled from IRS.gov:

A11. No, the payments are not includible in your gross income. Therefore, you will not include the payments in your taxable income on your Federal income tax return or pay income tax on your payment. They will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2020 Federal income tax return.
These payments will not affect your income for purposes of determining eligibility for federal government assistance or benefit programs.

So there's that. There is also no mention of the college age dependent stimulus on the rebate worksheet. It is still 17 and under.

Finally for those of use taking 401K dispersements and getting SSI, they are allowing you to spread the tax payment over 3 years. For me that was a big difference but may not be for most folks.
I guess that is the benefit to being firmly ensconced in the middle class. I didn't have enough deductions, so short form. Already have the refund. HaHa, bought a gun and some ammo with it.

There is a worksheet for stimulus rebate that requires you to enter any previous EIP payments as income, which I think is fair.
EIP payments are not included as income. There are no taxes on them. The IRS just wants to know if you received the stimulus payments or not. If you didn't, you will received them as positive amounts (refunds) on your 2020 tax return.

I am a volunteer tax preparer and have done over 50 so far this year. My clients who did not receive one or both stimulus payments got them by filing their 2020 returns.

While I think the stimulus payments will have a net negative impact on our economy, you might as well get yours since everyone else is.

There is a worksheet for stimulus rebate that requires you to enter any previous EIP payments as income, which I think is fair.
EIP payments are not included as income. There are no taxes on them. The IRS just wants to know if you received the stimulus payments or not. If you didn't, you will received them as positive amounts (refunds) on your 2020 tax return.

I am a volunteer tax preparer and have done over 50 so far this year. My clients who did not receive one or both stimulus payments got them by filing their 2020 returns.

While I think the stimulus payments will have a net negative impact on our economy, you might as well get yours since everyone else is.
That's what I thought until got to the EIP rebate worksheet in Turbotax. I ran error check to make sure and then talked to a Turbotax support person and she said the worksheet is correct, EIP1 and EIP2 are entered. Now they don't go to the AGI line but they reduce or eliminate EIP3.

We use TaxSlayer. The EIP1 and 2 data doesn't go to AGI. It's just a flag to let the Government know that you didn't get EIP1 or EIP2.

From what I know, there is absolutely no impact from what is entered on EIP3.

Forum List

Back