Out of state carry: Riddle me this

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Per the USSC in v Bruen:
Held: New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense.

From this, it is clear that the 2nd Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm for self-defense, and the exercise of that right cannot be prevented by a state.

I live in Ohio and have an Ohio carry permit.
CA only allows the carry of a firearm with a permit.
CA does not recognize my OH carry permit
CA will not issue a carry permit to anyone who does not live in CA
Under CA law, it is impossible for me to legally carry a gun in CA
Thus
CA violates my 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense.

How am I wrong?

Per the USSC in v Bruen:
Held: New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense.

From this, it is clear that the 2nd Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm for self-defense, and the exercise of that right cannot be prevented by a state.

Thus
CA violates my 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense.

How am I wrong?
You're not wrong; However, States' rights and laws are mighty powerful in the US.

It is a legal paradox.
We retain every other right in the BoR in every other state but the 2nd? How does that even fucking work?
Civil rights shouldnt be subject to the whims of some dickheads in other state capitols.

It is a legal paradox.
We retain every other right in the BoR in every other state but the 2nd? How does that even fucking work?
Civil rights shouldnt be subject to the whims of some dickheads in other state capitols.
The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.”
- v Bruen

How am I wrong?
You are not wrong. The city of Modesto, CA has a municipal ordinance that prohibits the OPEN carry of weapons inside city limits. It is my understanding that variations of this are state wide. According to this website, the prohibition has exceptions, but I see the law as a violation of the 14th amendment as well as the second due to these exceptions. Open Carry in California | Giffords

"A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, unless you are interstate traveling"

You are not wrong. The city of Modesto, CA has a municipal ordinance that prohibits the OPEN carry of weapons inside city limits. It is my understanding that variations of this are state wide. According to this website, the prohibition has exceptions, but I see the law as a violation of the 14th amendment as well as the second due to these exceptions. Open Carry in California | Giffords
CA law:
Long guns and handguns may be openly carried in unincorporated rural areas where firearm discharge is not prohibited by local ordinance. In a county with a population of less than 200,000 residents, a permit to carry a handgun "loaded and exposed" may be issued by the county sheriff, valid only in the issuing county. A person may also open carry if he or she "reasonably believes that any person or the property of any person is in immediate, grave danger and that the carrying of the weapon is necessary for the preservation of that person or property."

So, I cannot legally walk the Pacific Coast Highway while carrying a gun.

So, I cannot legally walk the Pacific Coast Highway while carrying a gun.
Depends on whether or not it is in an incorporated area AND whether the sheriff issued you a permit or if you are military, a LICENSED hunter, blah blah blah. These are all infringements on the right to keep and BEAR arms. The NRA and the CRPA should be suing the state for all of these unconstitutional laws.

Why odious gun laws are not decried as Jim Crow laws is beyond me.

It like the law in NC where you have to have a local LEO sign-off to buy a handgun.....That law was enacted in order to keep guns out of the hands of blacks yet it's still in force. WTF?

Per the USSC in v Bruen:

Thus

How am I wrong?

The carry permit is going to have to be like your drivers license......I can drive in any state with my Illinois license.....and that isn't even a Right.

The carry permit is going to have to be like your drivers license......I can drive in any state with my Illinois license.....and that isn't even a Right.
Or... there will be no permits.
A state cannot deny you the exercise of your rights simply because your state does not require a permit to do so.

Forum List

Back