Our new puppy

We won't get Ariel until around Dec. 22, instead of Dec. 10. Apparently, they made a mistake. Dec 10 would make her only 6 weeks, and she is supposed to be 8 weeks.

Although I understand and agree with the reasoning the waiting is difficult. :eusa_whistle:

In the meantime I have been researching how to deal with and train a puppy. We are also going to put her in classes in week 10.
How fun.

Congrats.

Good idea on the classes. Also, start watching Dog Whisperer, or read some stuff from Cesar Milan and or the Monks of New Skete. Great stuff...easy and it works so well.
hey hows Winston???
*Sniff* Winston (the Basset) is gone. About two years ago, now.

So is Fitz (the setter), now. He went down this summer.

Watson, the Westie, is still around and doing great as a result of Cesar Milan's stuff. I had to start crating him after Fitz died because he was way too anxious - and destructive - being left alone without Fitz around. That crate worked like a charm. He's much happier.

Your pup is a cutie.

Get ready for the housetraining. LOL You'll get plenty of fresh winter air.

My latest is a GSD mix. She was already housebroken, thank God. I have her in obedience classes right now and she's doing pretty darned good. I will be showing her in same.

So glad your a dog owner. This pup will bring load of love your way.

We finally broke our impasse.

As I mentioned in another thread, my wife has been really pushing for a puppy, but I hesitated for quite some time because I am afraid the puppy will spook our cat George.

Also my wife wanted a King Charles Cavalier and I wanted a Lab.

I agreed to get the puppy, and my wife gave in to getting a Lab.

We bought a chocolate lab called Aerial.

In the picture below she is 4 weeks old, we pick her up around Dec. 10th. She is now in Kentucky.

Aerialpuppypicture.jpg

What a beautiful little girl

I found out I won't be getting Ariel until 3 days after Dec 22nd instead of Dec 11. The breeder made a mistake. On Dec. 22nd she will be about eight weeks. She will get the vacatinations at that time, and then we have to wait 3 days.

The waiting is extremely difficult. This will be my first dog since I was a child, when I had a St. Bernard, named Yael.

Aerial will be sent ground transportation in a van, rather than flown, from Kentucky. That makes me happy. It's much less traumatic for the puppy.

The waiting is killing us

I can't wait to get my chocolate lab.

We won't get Ariel until around Dec. 22, instead of Dec. 10. Apparently, they made a mistake. Dec 10 would make her only 6 weeks, and she is supposed to be 8 weeks.

Although I understand and agree with the reasoning the waiting is difficult. :eusa_whistle:

In the meantime I have been researching how to deal with and train a puppy. We are also going to put her in classes in week 10.

Congratulations on your new little girl. She looks sweet. Training classes are a great idea, but you might want to do some research before you expose her to other puppies at such a young age. Until a puppy has had the full series of puppy shots, with one being given after the age of 16 weeks, she's not really protected against communicable diseases. Usually by 16 weeks, you can be fairly certain that the mother dog's antibodies have passed and a vaccine can take. Just a thought.

Aerial will get her shots in her eighth week. That's why we have to wait 3 days before she can be transported.

The shots should be fully effective in 2-3 weeks, which means she should be fully vaccinated by week 10 when the training starts.

Aerial will get her shots in her eighth week. That's why we have to wait 3 days before she can be transported.

The shots should be fully effective in 2-3 weeks, which means she should be fully vaccinated by week 10 when the training starts.

Unfortunately, a puppy is not often fully vaccinated with the 8 week shot. Parvo, as well as other vaccines, are given in a series hoping to catch the window of time at which the maternal antibodies the puppy received in it's mother's colostrum wear off and before potential exposure to parvo virus. The link leads to a great article, particularly the portion on prevention.

Parvovirus in Dogs

Thank you, the waiting is extremely difficult.

He's a dog virgin, BBD.

BBD's avatar shows a black Lab.
Or was before he changed to a snow man.

I watched a National Geographic Explorer show on dogs the other night, off Netflix...I think it's called "Dog Science" or something like that. Very informative show on dog genetics/behavior and even a little on breeds.

Your pup looks very sweet. I thought she looked sad, but when the yawn came I realized she's just SLEEPY!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUL0KCIc48[/ame]

Last edited:
We finally got Aerial Wednesday. She is 8 weeks old. She flew in from KY to MI.

She really is very adorable. Housebreaking is a challenge. I took her out twice in the middle of the night.

DSC00183.jpg

Forum List

Back