"our job is to bash the president".......

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Well, our job is to bash the president, that's what we do." --
Evan Thomas[Editor of NewsWeek] responding to a question on whether the media's unfair to Bush on the TV talk show Inside Washington,
February 2, 2007.Newsweek's Evan Thomas: 'Our Job Is To Bash the President' | NewsBusters

Really now?
So where is the "presidential bashing" now???

I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God."
Evan Thomas on Hardball, June 5, 2009.
Newsweek?s Evan Thomas: Obama Is ?Sort of God? | NewsBusters

It is just plain common sense that when people donate money to a candidate they obviously want the candidate to win! Well DUH!!
So it is plain common sense you want others to share your opinion about the candidate YOU donated to.
It is also plain common sense that the person with the loudest bullhorn usually gets the attention.

SO... using common sense would it not be logical to assume if:
"Senior executives, on-air personalities, producers, reporters, editors, writers and other self-identifying employees of ABC, CBS and NBC contributed
more than $1 million to Democratic candidates and campaign committees in 2008, according to an analysis by The Examiner of data compiled by the
Center for Responsive Politics.

The Democratic total of $1,020,816 was given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks, with an average contribution of $880.

By contrast, only 193 of the employees contributed to Republican candidates and campaign committees, for a total of $142,863.
The average Republican contribution was $744.

Obama, Democrats got 88 percent of 2008 contributions by TV network execs, writers, reporters | The Daily Caller

Now If 1,160 (85%) of 1,353 employees of ABC,CBS & NBC gave $1.02 million (88%) to Democrats do you think these donors are stupid?
If you don't think they are stupid, then do you think they wanted the Democrats to win?
If they want them to win would they put news favorable or unfavorable to democrats i.e. Obama? Duh!!!
FACTS:
In 1964, 94% of media professionals voted for Democrat Lyndon Johnson over Republican Barry Goldwater.
In 1968, 86% voted for Democrat Hubert Humphrey over Republican Richard Nixon.
In 1972, 81% voted for Democrat George McGovern over the incumbent Nixon.
In 1976, 81% voted for Democrat Jimmy Carter over Republican Gerald Ford.
In 1980, twice as many cast their ballots for Carter rather than for Republican Ronald Reagan.
In 1984, 58% supported Democrat Walter Mondale, whom Reagan defeated in the biggest landslide in presidential election history.
In 1988, White House correspondents from various major newspapers, television networks, magazines, and news services supported Democrat Michael Dukakis over Republican George H.W. Bush by a ratio of 12-to-1.
In 1992, those same correspondents supported Democrat Bill Clinton over the incumbent Bush by a ratio of 9 to 2.
Among Washington bureau chiefs and congressional correspondents, the disparity was 89% vs. 7%, in Clinton’s favor.
In a 2004 poll of campaign journalists, those based outside of Washington, DC supported Democrat John Kerry over Republican George W. Bush by a ratio of 3-to-1. Those based inside the Beltway favored Kerry by a 12-to-1 ratio.
In a 2008 survey of 144 journalists nationwide, journalists were 8 times likelier to make campaign contributions to Democrats than to Republicans.
A 2008 Investors Business Daily study put the campaign donation ratio at 11.5-to-1, in favor of Democrats. In terms of total dollars given, the ratio was 15-to-1.
Research on Media Bias - Discover the Networks

So in light of the above common sense that those with the loudest bullhorns..i.e. MSM.. get the attention.
And if they have the attention they certainly don't want to piss away their contributions!
The easiest way to protect their donations is as follows:

Only 29 percent of the narrative on Governor Romney was positive while 71 percent was negative.
Study Finds Widespread Bias in Mainstream Media Coverage of Election | Women of Grace
This means 70% of the stories were negative which far out balances the 29% positive!

A Media Research Center analysis of all 21 ABC, CBS and NBC evening news stories about Romney’s trip found that virtually all of them (18, or 86%) emphasized “diplomatic blunders,” “gaffes” or “missteps.”

"47% of Americans " story..
Over three days, the broadcast network morning and evening shows churned out 42 stories on the tape, nearly 90 minutes of coverage. The tone was hyperbolic; ABC’s "Good Morning America" called it a “bombshell rocking the Mitt Romney campaign,” while ABC "World News" anchor Diane Sawyer declared it a “political earthquake.”

Five ways the mainstream media tipped the scales in favor of Obama | Fox News

There are thousands of studies,facts,etc. validating MSM bias and MSM help in Obama's election.. BESIDES the FACTS 85% of these "news" people donated to Dems/Obama!
Remember the NewsWeek editor calling Obama a "god" is hard to see him coming down negatively on his "god"!

the media helped GWBush march us to war in Iraq by promoting his lies.

they are corporate.

pretending Obama is treated with respect in the media is horseshit

they are corporate.

I'm seeing signs of senility

If her statement about the media and Iraq is inaccurate, why are journalists now speaking out saying they regret their complacency?

I don't fixiate on the past. Her last sentence is beyond absurd however. Hence my observation.

Last edited:

they are corporate.

If her statement about the media and Iraq is inaccurate, why are journalists now speaking out saying they regret their complacency?

Please for the interest of logical rational discussion would you do as I strive to do provide the sources for your "complacency" observation as I'd like to know exactly what "journalists" are "speaking" out??? SOURCE???

Two questions:

1. Why isn't the conservative MEDIA defending Obama the way it defended Bush for 8 years, if you want to insist that the media has some obligation to be consistent, and,

2. why isn't this thread in 'Media' where it belongs?

why did the media not report that Bush was faking the WMD numbers?

why did people like Phil Donahue get fired when they had top ratings?

Two questions:

1. Why isn't the conservative MEDIA defending Obama the way it defended Bush for 8 years, if you want to insist that the media has some obligation to be consistent, and,

1. There was much dismay on conservative media about Romney. But by it's nature media gives a pass to it's perceived side no matter who that may be.

2. I'm gonna have to ask to see your thread police badge.

Please for the interest of logical rational discussion would you do as I strive to do provide the sources for your "complacency" observation as I'd like to know exactly what "journalists" are "speaking" out??? SOURCE???

Let me google that for you

Dissent used to be "the highest form of patriotism." Now it is the lowest form of racism. Why isn't this glaring example of intellectual dishonesty repugnant to our friends on the Left?

Two questions:

What conservative media?? Who would that be? Certainly not Fox as here is their standings in the conservative/liberal spectrum...

Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News,"
The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.
Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.
The most centrist outlet proved to be the "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer." CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown" and ABC's "Good Morning America" were a close second and third.
"Our estimates for these outlets, we feel, give particular credibility to our efforts, as three of the four moderators for the 2004 presidential and vice-presidential debates came from these three news outlets — Jim Lehrer, Charlie Gibson and Gwen Ifill," Groseclose said. "If these newscasters weren't centrist, staffers for one of the campaign teams would have objected and insisted on other moderators."

The fourth most centrist outlet was "Special Report With Brit Hume" on Fox News, which often is cited by liberals as an egregious example of a right-wing outlet.
While this news program proved to be right of center, the study found ABC's "World News Tonight" and NBC's "Nightly News" to be left of center.
All three outlets were approximately equidistant from the center, the report found.

"If viewers spent an equal amount of time watching Fox's 'Special Report' as ABC's 'World News' and NBC's 'Nightly News,' then they would receive a nearly perfectly balanced version of the news," said Milyo, an associate professor of economics and public affairs at the University of Missouri at Columbia
Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist / UCLA Newsroom

Forum List

Back