Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

I want my toilet back that uses 5 gal per flush!
I want my house built with no insulation to save costs.
I do not want a safe car with air bags seat belts and crumple zones. And safety glass? I want my face shredded in a 10 mph impact.

I want to go to the drug store and buy Morphine without a prescription.
3 yr olds should be able to buy whiskey.

Sheesh wake up people and stop being political puppets.

The bulb banning is a corporate driven mandate. Less power used means less power plants need to be ocnstructed and the power grid does not require costly upgrages and expansion.

Less broken windows means less work for window repairmen, I guess we should all go toss a baseball through our neighbors window right now.

Less power WASTED means better overall economic efficiency.

This should alleviate some concerns about accidentally shattering a CFL in your home.

At least it does for me.

Safety Incandescent Lamps, Compact Fluorescent Lamps | Shat-R-Shield CFL

Shat-R-Shield offers plastic-coated, shatter-resistant / shatterproof compact fluorescent (CFL) lamps. A versatile, high-efficiency
replacement for incandescent lamps, Shat-R-Shield CFLs offer superior performance with longer life, lower wattages - lower utility costs,
fewer relamping cycles and safety from the risks of broken glass.

If a Shat-R-Shield fluorescent lamp is accidentally broken, virtually all glass, phosphors and mercury are safely contained within the clear and
tough, skin-tight plastic coating.

But I can still see people just chucking them in the trash just like many do now with button cell batteries.

This should alleviate some concerns about accidentally shattering a CFL in your home.

At least it does for me.

Safety Incandescent Lamps, Compact Fluorescent Lamps | Shat-R-Shield CFL

Shat-R-Shield offers plastic-coated, shatter-resistant / shatterproof compact fluorescent (CFL) lamps. A versatile, high-efficiency
replacement for incandescent lamps, Shat-R-Shield CFLs offer superior performance with longer life, lower wattages - lower utility costs,
fewer relamping cycles and safety from the risks of broken glass.

If a Shat-R-Shield fluorescent lamp is accidentally broken, virtually all glass, phosphors and mercury are safely contained within the clear and
tough, skin-tight plastic coating.

But I can still see people just chucking them in the trash just like many do now with button cell batteries.

Excellent point how many whining of the CFL's actually dispose of their old toxic batteries properly?

You know you are talking about the Bush administration, right?

they do now ;)

Whitehall, check out when the whole "ban the bulbs" thing went down, the dates, you will see what dean means.

It was a Democratic Congress policy, but a Republican President signed the bill. But it doesn't matter one whit whether they have a "D" or an "R" beside their name, the effect of taking away choices, opportunities, options, and freedoms is the same for the American people.

And honestly people, if we don't wake up in a big hurry here and start smelling the stench and cleaning it up, there is going to be more and more and more of this.

If CFLs and LED lightbulbs are so superior to incandescents, just put them on the market and promote the hell out of them. And if they are the better or more desirable product, the American people will buy them. If incandescent bulbs become too undesirable to be profitable, the manufacturers will discontinue making them.

The only thing the government should be doing is teaching and promoting energy conservation. They should not be micromanaging it.

Since Obama has been president, it's been difficult for him to get anything passed. Why? Because you need a 60 to 40 majority in the Senate to pass anything. During the last two years of the Bush Administration, the senate was divided 49 to 49 with two independents.

What the hell is wrong with you right wingers? It took the Republicans in the Senate AND the Republican president and you want to blame what you don't like on the Democrats? Really?

You guys better stop or some on the left will think you might be imbeciles.

Thanks for this PC. It reminded me that I've got to start hoarding light bulbs soon.

Why would you hoard light bulbs when the fluorescent bulbs cost $1?

compact-fluorescent-bulb.jpg

I dunno, It is kind of a religious or political thing to oppose the squiggly bulbs for some.
Like electric cars and such.

if they pose no danger US....why did i get the answer i got from the State about what to do if one breaks?...

How the hell did the administration ever get away with promoting light bulbs made with toxic heavy metals as being "green"? If you read the instructions (how much paper does it take to instruct the public how to screw in a lightbulb) you have to call in a haz-mat crew if you break one of those mercury based light bulbs. Sometimes you break one over your head and are showered with toxic stuff in your eyes. How green is that? How do you trade off energy logic when the president takes half a dozen 747's to Norway to campaign for a Chicago winter Olympics that ain't gonna happen. It's all a liberal shell game.

You know you are talking about the Bush administration, right?

you fucking far lefties are behind this shit too Dean......you no doubt have one burning in your ass so you can see where your going.....its been on for years i bet.....

December 18, 2007

U.S. Energy Bill Phases Out Incandescent Light Bulb

The energy bill, which passed the Senate last week and which the U.S. House could pass as early as today, will phase out incandescent light bulbs in the next four to 12 years in favor of compact fluorescents, halogens, and LEDs, USA Today reports.

Under the measure, all light bulbs must use 25 percent to 30 percent less energy than today’s products by 2012 to 2014. The phase-in will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014. By 2020, bulbs must be 70 percent more efficient.

“The amount of energy that’s being saved by the light-bulb standard alone is more than has been achieved since 1986 for all appliances combined,” Earl Jones, senior counsel for General Electric, said in a Bloomberg article. GE recently announced that it was restructuring its lighting business to help the company respond to demands for more energy-efficient products, directly affecting the companies ability to manufacture incandescent
http://www.environmentalleader.com/2007/12/18/us-energy-bill-phases-out-incandescent-light-bulb/

bush did not veto this?

Last edited:
The bulb banning is a corporate driven mandate. Less power used means less power plants need to be ocnstructed and the power grid does not require costly upgrages and expansion.

no one is banning any bulbs......the wattage a is being toned down.....LED's are supposed to take over in a short time anyway.....they are trying to see if they can get them to burn brighter without burning it out.......

I don't like the light that cfl's give off (even newer ones) and they hum - uh, yes they do - and it is bothersome. Therefore, I'm stocking up on incandescents. When/if LEDs get up to speed and I like their like and they don't emit any sound I"ll buy them.

The whole point that many are making in this thread is that it isn't the government's job to dictate what companies sell us (not talking about harmful products here so get off of that). As many have stated ... sell both, promote both and let folks decide what they want to buy. Not enough people are buying the cfl's now? Then look at why they're not and solve that problem. But uncle has no business doing this.

I don't like the light that cfl's give off (even newer ones)
Jeez I hope you don't work in a modern building then.

and they hum - uh, yes they do - and it is bothersome.
Seriously? Never heard em. I'm 33 - maybe you're younger and have a higher pitch range?

The whole point that many are making in this thread is that it isn't the government's job to dictate what companies sell us (not talking about harmful products here so get off of that).

Congress has the authority to regulate commerce among the states in a manner consistent with our national interests. Its in our national interests to not needlessly waste energy. If we played by your rules we'd all be burning leaded gasoline, the average fuel efficiency of a U.S. vehicle would be around 5 mpg, and thosuands more would die every year in auto accidents from cars that have a lack of sufficient safety devices.

You like the incandescents fine then hoard as many as you can. No doubt one reason there is a lapse of time between the passing of the bill and its taking effect is so folks who are obsessed with ancient technology can hoard it.

Last edited:
I don't like the light that cfl's give off (even newer ones) and they hum - uh, yes they do - and it is bothersome. Therefore, I'm stocking up on incandescents. When/if LEDs get up to speed and I like their like and they don't emit any sound I"ll buy them.

The whole point that many are making in this thread is that it isn't the government's job to dictate what companies sell us (not talking about harmful products here so get off of that). As many have stated ... sell both, promote both and let folks decide what they want to buy. Not enough people are buying the cfl's now? Then look at why they're not and solve that problem. But uncle has no business doing this.

Eggzackley! Give Americans the choice and they'll generally choose the better product. As previously posted we use CFLs several places in the house because they do last longer and use less energy. But when I want the highest quality of light, I prefer the 100 watt incandescents. It is great having a choice. As CFLs and LEDs are improved, they may eventually be more practical and desirable than the incandescents and, when that day comes, I would phase out the incandescents myself.

Somebody mentioned low flow toilets. The government didn't mandate those. Somebody invented and started marketing them and the government, ever more intruding into our lives whether Republicans or Democrats are in charge, decided everybody should use them. But what savings is there if you have to flush a low flow two or three times and the old style once? What savings is there is you have to use 3 or 4 CFLs to obtain somewhere near the light quality of one 100 watt incandescent?

Safety glass was never mandated by the government before somebody invented it and it was already in wide use. Who in their right mind would choose anything different when it is needed?

In most things the free market gets us to where we want to be while leaving our choices, options, and opportunities intact.

Last edited:
I don't like the light that cfl's give off (even newer ones)
Jeez I hope you don't work in a modern building then.
one of the reasons i was told the Cfl's will be replaced by LED's in the near future......a LOT of people cant stand the light they give off.....it will and can trigger migraines or just a nice headache in some people like Epileptics.....

one of the reasons i was told the Cfl's will be replaced by LED's in the near future......a LOT of people cant stand the light they give off.....it will and can trigger migraines or just a nice headache in some people like Epileptics.....

I'm sorry your were told wrong by a bunch of fear mongering righties. The law actually doesn't give a shit if its CFL or LED or even incandescent, as long as the efficiency standard is met.

Guess what will happen if there are enough people that don't like the light given off? The free market will come up with a way to fix that while still meeting the energy standard.

Last edited:

I'm sorry your were told wrong by a bunch of fear mongering righties. The law actually doesn't give a shit if its CFL or LED or even incandescent, as long as the efficiency standard is met.
really?.....i was told wrong?.....the light from these CFL's dont bother anyone?......and how you got what you said from what i said ...is beyond me.....:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back