One of the reasons for high unemployment numbers

And I thought it was because Republicans screwed up the economy by deregulating Wall Street and encouraging American jobs get moved to overseas so CEO's can make a fast "big" buck.

Hmmm, guess I was wrong. Turns out it's the middle class accepting unemployment insurance. They could live on the street. That would save us a ton of money.

You're usually wrong... that should not come as a shock

Only true for a small percentage. Unemployment pays squat compared to what you can get for working, and folks will always go for the biggest check they can get.

OTOH, unemployment is a huge cost for the business owner, and each marginal employee comes with a huge premium cost. In some places, as much as 1000 per month.

I think a large number collect unemployment AND work. Their net income is actually up. There are enough employers who can use some extra help, but only on a part-time basis and at a cheap rate. They pay cash and the employee continues to collect the full uneployment benefit.

And the fact that there are 6 times as many people looking for work as there are jobs?

That doesn't play any role in the rate of continued and long term unemployment?

How stupid do you have to be to buy into this FOX apologist nonsense, anyway?

Does this mean the unemployed are turning down jobs?

If they don't meet their unrealistic expectations of salary, yeah. I see it happen nearly every day at my other job.

This is the PURPOSE of Unemployment....to give the person let go by their employer, time to find a job that was on the same level as the one the employer released them from...so that the people hunting for jobs do NOT have to take the job at the seven eleven and can spend the time to find another engineering job.

If they don't meet their unrealistic expectations of salary, yeah. I see it happen nearly every day at my other job.

This is the PURPOSE of Unemployment....to give the person let go by their employer, time to find a job that was on the same level as the one the employer released them from...so that the people hunting for jobs do NOT have to take the job at the seven eleven and can spend the time to find another engineering job.

I agree, but where does it end?

My point is that nearly two years is going too far. At some point you are just putting off the inevitable, and making the pain much worse when it finally gets to accepting a job at a lower salary.

My point is that nearly two years is going too far. At some point you are just putting off the inevitable, and making the pain much worse when it finally gets to accepting a job at a lower salary.

well, I think the normal 6 months needed and an extension, but I do believe that an additional 6 months is needed during these times, but not beyond that.... so, I could see capping it at a year....right now....we as a country can not afford to give more support to them than that...nor can the employers afford higher UE insurance costs.

well, I think the normal 6 months needed and an extension, but I do believe that an additional 6 months is needed during these times, but not beyond that.... so, I could see capping it at a year....right now....we as a country can not afford to give more support to them than that...nor can the employers afford higher UE insurance costs.

See? We agree. I said that I agree with extending it past the normal 26 weeks due to the state of the economy, but going to nearly 4 times that length is really prolonged the inevitable.

Bingo.

Nice to see you have eyes and the ability to understand the folly of Liberal policies.

Course you have to be unemployed in the first place but many of them aren't finding work because it's easier just to suck off the tit.

So I get it now.....

We don't have a high unemployment rate...we just have lazy people

You could say that...but you'd be wrong. We have a high unemployment rate. It doesn't matter much what caused it to some. However unless things change double-digit unemployment will be our constant companion.....something Obama is fully willing to accept.

What part of the story confuses you, exactly?

Let us assume that people took the first job they were offered.

Then we'd STILL have five unemployed people for every person who took a job and ZERO jobs for them to take.

Do you get it NOW?

What part of the story confuses you, exactly?

Let us assume that people took the first job they were offered.

Then we'd STILL have five unemployed people for every person who took a job and ZERO jobs for them to take.

Do you get it NOW?

...and the numbers would be lower. A nearly 17% reduction in the number of unemployed is a bad thing?

And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said that they should take the first offer that comes along. I have even specifically said that benefits should have been extended to double the amount that was offered prior to the crash.

But two years is too long. A year of truly looking for a job, if you are serious, you will have more than one offer. May not be what you want. May not be anywhere close to what you were making, but at some point there has to be a cut off. To say otherwise is delusional.

" They" like unemployment. It guarantees that many more idiots will join the military in preparation for The War of all Wars. No draft required.
Onward Empire !

Forum List

Back