One Mans Epic Letter to His Former Slave Owner.....

Priceless is all I can say. I cant comprehend the level of self entitlement and self delusion the former slave owner has. The slave owner actually has the nerve to write his former slave and ask him to come back to the plantation after he was freed by the Union army. Here is the emancipated mans epic and sarcastic answer.

There Was Never Any Pay-day For the Negroes Jourdon Anderson Demands Wages

Dayton, Ohio, August 7, 1865

To My Old Master, Colonel P.H. Anderson, Big Spring, Tennessee

Sir: I got your letter and was glad to find you had not forgotten Jourdon, and that you wanted me to come back and live with you again, promising to do better for me than anybody else can. I have often felt uneasy about you. I thought the Yankees would have hung you long before this for harboring Rebs they found at your house. I suppose they never heard about your going to Col. Martin’s to kill the Union soldier that was left by his company in their stable. Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living. It would do me good to go back to the dear old home again and see Miss Mary and Miss Martha and Allen, Esther, Green, and Lee. Give my love to them all, and tell them I hope we will meet in the better world, if not in this. I would have gone back to see you all when I was working in the Nashville Hospital, but one of the neighbors told me Henry intended to shoot me if he ever got a chance.

I want to know particularly what the good chance is you propose to give me. I am doing tolerably well here; I get $25 a month, with victuals and clothing; have a comfortable home for Mandy, —the folks here call her Mrs. Anderson),—and the children—Milly, Jane and Grundy—go to school and are learning well; the teacher says Grundy has a head for a preacher. They go to Sunday- School, and Mandy and me attend church regularly. We are kindly treated; sometimes we overhear others saying, “Them colored people were slaves” down in Tennessee. The children feel hurt when they hear such remarks, but I tell them it was no disgrace in Tennessee to belong to Col. Anderson. Many darkies would have been proud, as I used to be, to call you master. Now, if you will write and say what wages you will give me, I will be better able to decide whether it would be to my advantage to move back again.

As to my freedom, which you say I can have, there is nothing to be gained on that score, as I got my free papers in 1864 from the Provost- Marshal- General of the Department of Nashville. Mandy says she would be afraid to go back without some proof that you are sincerely disposed to treat us justly and kindly; and we have concluded to test your sincerity by asking you to send us our wages for the time we served you. This will make us forget and forgive old scores, and rely on your justice and friendship in the future. I served you faithfully for thirty-two years and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy, our earnings would amount to eleven thousand six hundred and eighty dollars. Add to this the interest for the time our wages has been kept back and deduct what you paid for our clothing and three doctor’s visits to me, and pulling a tooth for Mandy, and the balance will show what we are in justice entitled to. Please send the money by Adams Express, in care of V. Winters, Esq., Dayton, Ohio. If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past we can have little faith in your promises in the future. We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense. Here I draw my wages every Saturday night, but in Tennessee there was never any pay-day for the Negroes any more than for the horses and cows. Surely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

In answering this letter please state if there would be any safety for my Milly and Jane, who are now grown up and both good-looking girls. You know how it was with Matilda and Catherine. I would rather stay here and starve, and die if it comes to that, than have my girls brought to shame by the violence and wickedness of their young masters. You will also please state if there has been any schools opened for the colored children in your neighborhood, the great desire of my life now is to give my children an education, and have them form virtuous habits.

P.S. —Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson
Your butthurt over a letter from a former enslaved person is touching.

Good thing Herewego is familar with the vernacular of that day

Go read some letters from that era written by white people.
Maybe his lack of education threw me off.

No it was just the fault of your lack of education, sorry

Actually it's more about not giving a rats ass about what happened to some dude 150 years ago.
Thats must be why you commented on the thread. :laugh:

I'm surprised you came back after your last race baiting fail thread.
I doubt everything you post only because you're such a liar.
Tell us more about those ancient african civilizations that were so advanced.
I need a good laugh today.

Priceless is all I can say. I cant comprehend the level of self entitlement and self delusion the former slave owner has. The slave owner actually has the nerve to write his former slave and ask him to come back to the plantation after he was freed by the Union army. Here is the emancipated mans epic and sarcastic answer.

Sir: I got your letter and was glad to find you had not forgotten Jourdon, and that you wanted me to come back and live with you again, promising to do better for me than anybody else can. I have often felt uneasy about you. I thought the Yankees would have hung you long before this for harboring Rebs they found at your house. I suppose they never heard about your going to Col. Martin’s to kill the Union soldier that was left by his company in their stable. Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living. It would do me good to go back to the dear old home again and see Miss Mary and Miss Martha and Allen, Esther, Green, and Lee. Give my love to them all, and tell them I hope we will meet in the better world, if not in this. I would have gone back to see you all when I was working in the Nashville Hospital, but one of the neighbors told me Henry intended to shoot me if he ever got a chance.

I want to know particularly what the good chance is you propose to give me. I am doing tolerably well here; I get $25 a month, with victuals and clothing; have a comfortable home for Mandy, —the folks here call her Mrs. Anderson),—and the children—Milly, Jane and Grundy—go to school and are learning well; the teacher says Grundy has a head for a preacher. They go to Sunday- School, and Mandy and me attend church regularly. We are kindly treated; sometimes we overhear others saying, “Them colored people were slaves” down in Tennessee. The children feel hurt when they hear such remarks, but I tell them it was no disgrace in Tennessee to belong to Col. Anderson. Many darkies would have been proud, as I used to be, to call you master. Now, if you will write and say what wages you will give me, I will be better able to decide whether it would be to my advantage to move back again.

As to my freedom, which you say I can have, there is nothing to be gained on that score, as I got my free papers in 1864 from the Provost- Marshal- General of the Department of Nashville. Mandy says she would be afraid to go back without some proof that you are sincerely disposed to treat us justly and kindly; and we have concluded to test your sincerity by asking you to send us our wages for the time we served you. This will make us forget and forgive old scores, and rely on your justice and friendship in the future. I served you faithfully for thirty-two years and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy, our earnings would amount to eleven thousand six hundred and eighty dollars. Add to this the interest for the time our wages has been kept back and deduct what you paid for our clothing and three doctor’s visits to me, and pulling a tooth for Mandy, and the balance will show what we are in justice entitled to. Please send the money by Adams Express, in care of V. Winters, Esq., Dayton, Ohio. If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past we can have little faith in your promises in the future. We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense. Here I draw my wages every Saturday night, but in Tennessee there was never any pay-day for the Negroes any more than for the horses and cows. Surely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

In answering this letter please state if there would be any safety for my Milly and Jane, who are now grown up and both good-looking girls. You know how it was with Matilda and Catherine. I would rather stay here and starve, and die if it comes to that, than have my girls brought to shame by the violence and wickedness of their young masters. You will also please state if there has been any schools opened for the colored children in your neighborhood, the great desire of my life now is to give my children an education, and have them form virtuous habits.

P.S. —Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson
Are we supposed to believe that blacks could write that articulately today, let alone 1865?

Epic Fail.

More jungle-bunny civilizations, at least those are fairy-tale fails.
The thread was not made for you to agree or disagree. I'm not concerned with what you dont believe. What cave chimps think dont merit consideration.

Good thing Herewego is familar with the vernacular of that day

Actually it's more about not giving a rats ass about what happened to some dude 150 years ago.

I think I will quit posting since you doubt everything I post.
laugh.gif

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson
The proper grammar would be "you're," not "your," idiot.

And I don't think I've ever witnessed a bigger racist than you, ever, anywhere.

You win the prize.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson

You win the prize.
Oook....Now what? Do you feel less emotional now?

laugh.gif
Just stick to jungle bunny civilizations. We all get a kick out of that. The very thought of a few jungle bunnies pondering the schematics of a pyramid is the stuff of comedy itself.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson

You win the prize.
Everybody here knows what you are, jambo, I don't have to tell them.

From your old servant,

Jourdon Anderson

You win the prize.
Everybody here knows what you are, jambo, I don't have to tell them.
But you just did tell them. Why did you do that? Whats next now that you have vented? Did you just call me a "hello"? :laugh:

A slave that knew how to read and write

:lmao:

and I love how he used modern English as well

:rofl:

Modern English?
How do you think that they wrote back then?
With thee's and thou's?
Old English was from 1470 to 1700.
From 1700 on they spoke just like we do today without our slang. By the way they had their own slang back then.
I think you have a pre conceived notion from movies.

Here is a letter from President Lincoln in 1863
Executive Mansion Washington November 20, 1863

Hon. Edward Everett. My dear Sir:
Your kind note of to-day is received. In our respective parts yesterday, you could not have been excused to make a short address, nor I a long one. I am pleased to know that, in your judgment, the little I did say was not entirely a failure. Of course I knew Mr. Everett would not fail; and yet, while the whole discourse was eminently satisfactory, and will be of great value, there were passages in it which transcended my expectation. The point made against the theory of the general government being only an agency, whose principals are the States, was new to me, and, as I think, is one of the best arguments for the national supremacy. The tribute to our noble women for their angel-ministering to the suffering soldiers, surpasses, in its way, as do the subjects of it, whatever has gone before.
Our sick boy, for whom you kindly inquire, we hope is past the worst. Your Obt. Servt.
A. Lincoln

Letter by Abraham Lincoln to Edward Everett

laugh.gif
Just stick to jungle bunny civilizations. We all get a kick out of that. The very thought of a few jungle bunnies pondering the schematics of a pyramid is the stuff of comedy itself.
The fact that Black people came up with those concepts must bother you immensely.
laugh.gif

Tell us how the cave chimps actually did it instead.

laugh.gif
The fact that Black people came up with those concepts must bother you immensely.
laugh.gif

Tell us more! Enlighten us with the stories of jungle bunny civilizations,

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Cave chimps first. Show us the progression.
laugh.gif

Why does a thread about a freed slave get these white boys all upset?

Seems like any mention of blacks make whites upset. I posted a thread on Black Wall street and the same people were in there whining about...everything

Why does a thread about a freed slave get these white boys all upset?

Seems like any mention of blacks make whites upset. I posted a thread on Black Wall street and the same people were in there whining about...everything
If you have ever seen chimps at the zoo lose it you would know why. Anything that is out of the norm results in a full scale chimp out.

Priceless. I guess the stress of having to do his own work took its toll. :laugh2:

Jordan Anderson - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"Colonel Anderson, having failed to attract his former slaves back, sold the land for a pittance to try to get out of debt.Two years later he was dead at the age of 44. Prior to 2006, historian Raymond Winbush tracked down the living relatives of the Colonel in Big Spring, reporting that they "are still angry at Jordan for not coming back," knowing that the plantation was in serious disrepair after the war."

I bet some of the white boys upset over the letter are related.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Seriously, let's compare ancient Greece, going back 5000 years ago and a recorded history 2600 to ancient Ghana, whose first recording was 800 AD by others. Sub-Saharan blacks are 2000 years beyond Europeans, and yet 100s ot thousands of years beyond the rest of humanity and evolution.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Seriously, let's compare ancient Greece, going back 5000 years ago and a recorded history 2600 to ancient Ghana, whose first recording was 800 AD by others. Sub-Saharan blacks are 2000 years beyond Europeans, and yet 100s ot thousands of years beyond the rest of humanity and evolution.
What cave chimps say about Africa is not valid. They were still in caves when Africans had their civilizations. How would they know? BTW start another thread on this so I can clown you. Get back on topic.

Forum List

Back