OMG, Trump Just Shot Himself in the Ass on H1-B Visas

OK, I know politicians evolve and they change their minds on issues. The less important the issue, the more likely they will change on it, and vice versa. People are OK with a dude changing his mind on something over the course of years, but when it comes to voting for a President who says, for example, they want to subsidize widget making in this country, you expect them to stay decided on that for at least a few years.

If they have gone around the country saying that widgets are so important then they change their mind a few months later and say, nah, we dont need widgets so much, then everyone realizes that they are dealing with a person who has 'no sand', as we used to express it. They are like a weather vane and and you dont use weather vanes for guidance to follow them, or you are lost when you need to know the direction to head home. You use a compass, of course that might jiggle and swing around, but it eventually points toward magnetic north.

Donald Trump has been telling everyone for months now that he wants to curtail the abuse of the H1-B visa system as has Ted Cruz. Tonight during the debate Trump said he has changed his mind and now he is OK with expanding H1-B visas. WTF?

Is there anything else this man is going to change his mind about? The odds look pretty high after this bullshit.

Donald Trump, you have betrayed a major constituency. Working Americans in the STEM fields have been shunted aside for decades now since George HW Bush increased the H1-Bs by a factor of x20 in 1990.

A great many of us who have had to train our replacements, get laid off while the rest of the STEM staff was all H1-Bs and you knew that they werent allowed to do that by law, but no one would do a damned thing about it, a great many of us have been pulled toward you and Ted Cruz.

Thank you for helping me realize that you cannot be depended on to remain steady and show some sand.

I think Trump may have just given Ted Cruz the nomination.

This is the same Donald Trump whose resort in Florida abuses the visa system to hire foreign workers instead of American workers.

Why are you shocked by this?

Yes a SUB CONTRACTOR he hired, hired foreign workers...If you are going to lie, make sure others don't know the TRUTH, which escapes you almost always!

Oh shut up- you have no regard for Truth- ever. I know you are here just to kiss Trump's ass- so here are some of the actual facts:

“Since 2010, nearly 300 United States residents have applied or been referred for jobs as waiters, waitresses, cooks and housekeepers there. But according to federal records, only 17 have been hired,” the New York Times’ Charles Bagli and Megan Twohey wrote on Thursday. “In all but a handful of cases, Mar-a-Lago sought to fill the jobs with hundreds of foreign guest workers from Romania and other countries.”

For at least 15 years, according to the Labor Department, Mr. Trump’s properties have requested guest-worker visas, including at Mar-a-Lago, the former estate of the cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, where the initiation fee alone is $100,000. Housekeepers from abroad ensure that the venue’s eight seaside cabanas are spotless, the Dorian stone from Genoa shines and the lavish guest rooms and suites in the main house, an 89- year-old mansion in the Hispano-Moresque style, are fresh for visitors. Foreign workers prepare meals and serve them at the beachfront bistro or the main dining room, and deliver cocktails at wedding receptions in the elegant White & Gold Ballroom or the more recently built Donald J. Trump Ballroom. From October to May, tourism’s high season in Palm Beach, Mr. Trump himself can often be found at the club on weekends

Trump, they wrote, also sought guest workers at his other properties in South Florida and in Virginia and New Jersey.

“He has also sought guest workers at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach and Trump National golf club and spa in Jupiter, as well as at his vineyard in Virginia and golf clubs in New Jersey,” Bagli and Twohey wrote, before adding that it’s thus far unclear how many visas he’s actually gotten:

According to records Mar-a-Lago submitted to the Labor Department, it had received at least 296 local names for 520 seasonal jobs since 2010. Some applied directly to the club; others were referred through a job placement service. Mar-a-Lago hired 17, about 6 percent of the local applicants, the records show.

New York Times Hits Donald Trump Over Guest Workers at Mar-a-Lago - Breitbart

I have been hearing this for several years now- and I think we need a complete reform of the temporary worker visa system. There is no doubt it is being abused by employers who find that foreign workers are less expensive and become virtually tied to them while they are here.

What about if for each H2B issues- an American had to be hired for the same position- with equal or higher salary? It should cost these companies- and benefit American workers- so the incentive will be to always hire Americans first.

And by the way- the same applies for low skilled jobs like the ones Trump's resort hires foreigners for- these are not jobs you need- but there are always low skilled Americans willing to work as cooks and waiters- rather than hiring foreign workers for those positions. Those people need jobs just as much as hi tech workers do.

Well since we are playing fantasy scenarios, I like your idea of having an American hire for every guest worker, but how about this instead; just make it illegal for a company to have more H1-B or other immigrant visa workers on your payroll in any category than Americans?

But I think a special tax deduction, and the ONLY deduction, for corporate taxes be say 30% of the costs for hiring Americans on top of the already used deduction for employee business costs? And couple that with a tariff on all guest workers of 50% with a minimum pay of the local areas market average + 20%? IF they *Really* cant find Americans then they really have no choice and the money can be used to TRAIN AMERICANS workers.

But one thing is now crystal clear; corporations have completely lost the faith and confidence of the vast majority of working class Americans that was built up since 1980. Corporate greed has undone all that good will and proven the Marxists right about one thing; we are engaged in class warfare and it is the Wealthy Brahamin class of Corporate managers that started it.

Donald Trump has been telling everyone for months now that he wants to curtail the abuse of the H1-B visa system as has Ted Cruz. Tonight during the debate Trump said he has changed his mind and now he is OK with expanding H1-B visas.

Well, first of all, we need to work the H1-B program so that we allow them to come here and work, but not allow them to supplant Americans from their existing jobs. We'll say "We're sorry, but that job is taken. Go look for a job like everyone else. You don't get preferential treatment."

I agree but we also need to reduce the numbers brought in at least until all our native American STEM people can find employment in their career fields.

This is something that directly impacts me. I am a software engineer and at the age of 58 coming off two years of disability due to a bad back, I am not getting the responses on my job search that I used to get prior to the H2-B explosion in the late nineties.

I have been hearing this for several years now- and I think we need a complete reform of the temporary worker visa system. There is no doubt it is being abused by employers who find that foreign workers are less expensive and become virtually tied to them while they are here.

What about if for each H2B issues- an American had to be hired for the same position- with equal or higher salary? It should cost these companies- and benefit American workers- so the incentive will be to always hire Americans first.

And by the way- the same applies for low skilled jobs like the ones Trump's resort hires foreigners for- these are not jobs you need- but there are always low skilled Americans willing to work as cooks and waiters- rather than hiring foreign workers for those positions. Those people need jobs just as much as hi tech workers do.
AMEN!

Well since we are playing fantasy scenarios, I like your idea of having an American hire for every guest worker, but how about this instead; just make it illegal for a company to have more H1-B or other immigrant visa workers on your payroll in any category than Americans?

But I think a special tax deduction, and the ONLY deduction, for corporate taxes be say 30% of the costs for hiring Americans on top of the already used deduction for employee business costs? And couple that with a tariff on all guest workers of 50% with a minimum pay of the local areas market average + 20%? IF they *Really* cant find Americans then they really have no choice and the money can be used to TRAIN AMERICANS workers.

But one thing is now crystal clear; corporations have completely lost the faith and confidence of the vast majority of working class Americans that was built up since 1980. Corporate greed has undone all that good will and proven the Marxists right about one thing; we are engaged in class warfare and it is the Wealthy Brahamin class of Corporate managers that started it.

Labor is much more of commodity now.

And not to be a Debbie Downer- while I absolutely want something like you propose- we also have to guard against companies just shipping the IT jobs overseas entirely- something that is more and more feasible.

I might sound somewhat satirical here but the remedies you propose remind me of Affirmative Action. Brainy foreigners are outperforming native born Americans in academic achievement in our own Universities, thus, they are, by the RW definition, more qualified. As a group, those brainy individuals have become a commodity, one that may have far reaching implications on the balance of power in the world. Our government wants those near geniuses working for us, not against us. Looking into the future, it seems , the people we elected have partnered with corporations and scientific organizations to encourage these bright individuals to stay here even if it means disrupting the ambitions of less qualified native born Americans. Funny how things come full circle, isn't it?

I am against the H-1B programs. But that is because I am more of a jingoist than a corporatist. Still, I see the rationale behind H-1Bs and it is unsettling!

I might sound somewhat satirical here but the remedies you propose remind me of Affirmative Action. Brainy foreigners are outperforming native born Americans in academic achievement in our own Universities, thus, they are, by the RW definition, more qualified. As a group, those brainy individuals have become a commodity, one that may have far reaching implications on the balance of power in the world. Our government wants those near geniuses working for us, not against us. Looking into the future, it seems , the people we elected have partnered with corporations and scientific organizations to encourage these bright individuals to stay here even if it means disrupting the ambitions of less qualified native born Americans. Funny how things come full circle, isn't it?

I am against the H-1B programs. But that is because I am more of a jingoist than a corporatist. Still, I see the rationale behind H-1Bs and it is unsettling!
The only outperforming that is going on is the foreigners outperforming Americans at being willing to work for LOWER WAGES as well as LOUSIER WORKING CONDITIONS. Any other claims (labor shortage, academic achievement, etc) is all bull. The companies just want to boost their PROFITS by means of cheap foreign labor. It is DOMESTIC OUTSOURCING, just like hiring illegal aliens, except that these guys do it legally.

That being said, since this whole thread has turned into a mass of confusion and twisted facts, be it known that >>>
Trump recanted his remarks about H1B visas, just minutes after the debate. The media was a little slow to pick up on it. Better late than never. It's a big relief. I was considering dropping my support of him. I was busy all day today, and only found out about the recant just now.

Donald Trump quickly recants new stance on immigrant guest-workers - Washington Times

Oh shut up- you have no regard for Truth- ever. I know you are here just to kiss Trump's ass- so here are some of the actual facts:

“Since 2010, nearly 300 United States residents have applied or been referred for jobs as waiters, waitresses, cooks and housekeepers there. But according to federal records, only 17 have been hired,” the New York Times’ Charles Bagli and Megan Twohey wrote on Thursday. “In all but a handful of cases, Mar-a-Lago sought to fill the jobs with hundreds of foreign guest workers from Romania and other countries.”

For at least 15 years, according to the Labor Department, Mr. Trump’s properties have requested guest-worker visas, including at Mar-a-Lago, the former estate of the cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, where the initiation fee alone is $100,000. Housekeepers from abroad ensure that the venue’s eight seaside cabanas are spotless, the Dorian stone from Genoa shines and the lavish guest rooms and suites in the main house, an 89- year-old mansion in the Hispano-Moresque style, are fresh for visitors. Foreign workers prepare meals and serve them at the beachfront bistro or the main dining room, and deliver cocktails at wedding receptions in the elegant White & Gold Ballroom or the more recently built Donald J. Trump Ballroom. From October to May, tourism’s high season in Palm Beach, Mr. Trump himself can often be found at the club on weekends

Trump, they wrote, also sought guest workers at his other properties in South Florida and in Virginia and New Jersey.

“He has also sought guest workers at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach and Trump National golf club and spa in Jupiter, as well as at his vineyard in Virginia and golf clubs in New Jersey,” Bagli and Twohey wrote, before adding that it’s thus far unclear how many visas he’s actually gotten:

According to records Mar-a-Lago submitted to the Labor Department, it had received at least 296 local names for 520 seasonal jobs since 2010. Some applied directly to the club; others were referred through a job placement service. Mar-a-Lago hired 17, about 6 percent of the local applicants, the records show.

New York Times Hits Donald Trump Over Guest Workers at Mar-a-Lago - Breitbart
Since you're going to quote from the New York Times article, how about presenting the OTHER SIDE of the story, in that very same article. Here's some of that ; more of the "actual facts">>

"For anyone not hired, the employer must tell the Labor Department why. Among the reasons Mar-a-Lago gave: that the applicants could not be reached or were not qualified, as Mr. Trump suggested in his recent interview, and that they did not want the jobs.

That was the case for Austin L. Cohen of Delray Beach, who received a call from Mar-a-Lago and a tour of the 20-acre resort after sending in his résumé for a wait staff position that paid $10.60 an hour for at least 30 hours a week.

Mr. Cohen said that he ultimately chose to keep looking for a permanent job, and that he wanted benefits; the job listing did not mention any.

“It was more like a temporary position,” Mr. Cohen said. “You work six months and then you’re out of work again. It was my decision not to take the job.”

Some applicants said they decided against working at Mar-a-Lago because, like some other private clubs, it discourages gratuities; its job listings say “no tips.” Local labor analysts say that private clubs often lose job candidates to restaurants where tipping is permitted."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/u...club.html?smid=tw-share&_r=3&mtrref=undefined

Trump is absolutely right. I live in Florida. I've been here 27 years. Florida has a seasonal employment situation. The state is inundated with northerners and Canadians who live in Florida just during the winter months, and not many Americans want to work just for 6 months, if that long. Many apply out of desperation, but never follow through. This is common all over the state in winter.

You also have a lot of people who apply who aren't qualified, have no experience or training (the foreign workers come from a group of trade school graduates), and/or have criminal records (which is why they're unemployed to begin with).

Finding clean record, qualified workers, who want just temporary work for a few months in Florida during the winter, is not a simple task.

Last edited:
I owned a business for 12 years. I sometimes ran ads in local newspapers for people for sales and clerical work. I also used temp services. Of the last 2 times I employed, I got about 100 applications. Of these about 10 were qualified, and of those, 4 chose to actually take the job (others had applied elsewhere in addition)

Of the ones who weren't qualified, many had massive foreign accents making them ineligible for sales. Others were American born, but had criminal records, stunk like a barn, were poorly dressed, or talked like they had marbles in their mouths. Some had offensive attitudes, and others were just too passive for sales and lacked experience.

Just because you get applicants, doesn't mean you get employees.

Wanna hire this guy ? or gal ? or it ? >>>

upload_2016-3-4_22-57-2.jpeg

The only outperforming that is going on is the foreigners outperforming Americans at being willing to work for LOWER WAGES as well as LOUSIER WORKING CONDITIONS. Any other claims (labor shortage, academic achievement, etc) is all bull. The companies just want to boost their PROFITS by means of cheap foreign labor. It is DOMESTIC OUTSOURCING, just like hiring illegal aliens, except that these guys do it legally.

That being said, since this whole thread has turned into a mass of confusion and twisted facts, be it known that >>>
Trump recanted his remarks about H1B visas, just minutes after the debate. The media was a little slow to pick up on it. Better late than never. It's a big relief. I was considering dropping my support of him. I was busy all day today, and only found out about the recant just now.

Donald Trump quickly recants new stance on immigrant guest-workers - Washington Times

Indeed, Trump has recanted his remarks about H-1B visas as I predicted in post #90. But that doesn't undermine the causal relationship between the H-1b program and the corporate perception that the program provides a higher qualified labor force at a cheaper price.

The general population is convinced that Asians are superior scholars ( Indian Asians and those emanating from the Far East). If it isn't true, US media sources ought to stop saying it.

Indeed, Trump has recanted his remarks about H-1B visas as I predicted in post #90. But that doesn't undermine the causal relationship between the H-1b program and the corporate perception that the program provides a higher qualified labor force at a cheaper price.

The general population is convinced that Asians are superior scholars ( Indian Asians and those emanating from the Far East). If it isn't true, US media sources ought to stop saying it.
Of course they ought to stop saying it. They also ought to stop saying that there is a labor shortage, and that's why they need to import workers. (also a total lie).

H1-Bs are not immigrants. I dont see any reason NOW to believe that he was ever thinking about H1-Bs in his comments as he was speaking about foreign students who want to stay in the country and create jobs and become Americans, which is NOT an H1-B.

I and millions of others were misled by the moderators spinning the context to think it was about H1-Bs, so they fooled me. I have read that transcript multiple times now and see that in fact it was never about H1-Bs.

Forum List

Back