Oh ... My ... Gawd ... Ellison Checks Out

Really expected more reaction to Ellison's death. Maybe it is the thread title?

IMO, the best and perhaps most misunderstood SF writer of all time, he was both passionate about his work and the most controversial figure in all of science fiction; he is a man I think I understood. Some of his short story collections include:

A Touch of Infinity
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, and
The Beast That Shouted Love At The Heart of the World

Many of his themes involved time travel.

He wrote the best episode of THE OUTER LIMITS including:

Demon With A Glass Hand (starring Robert Culp as an android from the future with the lady who would be Spock’s Wife), and
Soldier (staring Michael Ansara who would be the last of the original Klingons), which many believe was the basis for the movie ’Terminator.’ He actually sued about that, settled, and got screen credit.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (The Prince of Doom)

The wrote the best episode of Star Trek, ‘The City On The Edge of Forever,’ for which he had a bitter and long-lasting disagreement with Gene Roddenberry over for the TV rewrite. If you never read the original version, it is a must read. Harlan spent a great deal of time around the sets of Star Trek for the first season and so much work was put into his episode that it was next to last shot for the season. It was the only episode that ever competed with and probably surpassed the second pilot: Where No Man Has Gone Before.

He also wrote two episodes for Babylon 5 ( A View From The Gallery, and, Objects In Motion). He was also creative consultant.

Harlan once labeled himself as possibly the most contentious person on the planet—— as part of a dispute over fulfillment of a contract, he mailed the publisher 213 bricks postage due, followed by a dead gopher, via 4th class mail.

Rest in Peace Harlan.

ellison1978.jpg

Last edited:
Asimov once pronounced him "The Best Writer in the World". Perhaps hyperbolic, but his stacks of awards lend some credence to that assessment.

I discovered his work at age 13, a very long time ago. I finally met him in 1995 on the "Dream Corridors" tour during slack time at the signing at a book store owned by a friend of mine. I clutched two large grocery bags filled with his books, and asked if he'd mind signing a few. He was very gracious, signed every one, and kept up a running stream of conversation for the 20 minutes or so it took to sign them.

Difficult to believe there will be no more Harlan Ellison stories.

never heard of him...I don't read science fiction....
all the same

RIP Harlan Ellison

I did read some Jules Vern but sci-fi always had those damn names in them like the Bible that was hard to pronounce.

I am devastated. I used to date him back in the day.
Jeesus your that old!?
He gave me a book he had edited an anthology "Again Dangerous Visions " every story in the book had been signed by the author. Ray Bradbury, David Gerrold, the greats. I gave the book to my son. It's worth a fortune.

The world is a bit dimmer without Harlan Ellison in it.

"City on the Edge of Forever" was the original Trek's finest and most deeply haunting hour.

Seeing the title only at first, I thought the thread was about Keith, and I smiled.

Then I read the thread and I was sad.

Rest in peace Mr. Ellison, and thank you.

Sadly and perhaps a bit embarrassingly, I have known the name for years and yet I don't believe I've read him. Again sadly, his passing will push me to seek out his work.

Forum List

Back