official USMB Juneteenth 2016 thread

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
Started in Texas if I remember correctly...

As I recall my Texas history lessons it was on June 19, 1865 Union soldiers landed in Galveston with the news that the war was over and the slaves were free. It was the first time there were enough Union soldiers to overcome the resistance in the state to the Emancipation proclamation and the end of the war. There are some theories as to why it took so long... There's a story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom, some think the news was deliberately withheld by the slave owners to maintain the labor force on the plantations, another theory is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest. No one knows if any of these are true.

It is an official state holiday in Texas.

As I recall my Texas history lessons it was on June 19, 1865 Union soldiers landed in Galveston with the news that the war was over and the slaves were free. It was the first time there were enough Union soldiers to overcome the resistance in the state to the Emancipation proclamation and the end of the war. There are some theories as to why it took so long... There's a story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom, some think the news was deliberately withheld by the slave owners to maintain the labor force on the plantations, another theory is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest. No one knows if any of these are true.

thanks for the info

thanks for the info

The pleasure is mine. For whatever reason, Juneteenth has always fascinated me...

Juneteenth celebrates the (1) end of slavery and (2) the craven surrenders of Lee and Johnston and Magruder.

Forum List

Back