NYT Publishes Swastika Crossword Puzzle on First Day of Hanukkah

Not sure I would have seen it had someone not told me it was there, but once you are told it is there you can kind of see it
Had you said you wouldn’t have seen it had no one said anything but once you’re told it’s there you can’t help but see it I’d have believed you. Im calling shenanigans on your actual post.

With their history, you would think they would be more careful.

AA15slqw.img

Newsweek
Newsweek

FollowView Profile

The New York Times Speaks Out on Claims Its Crossword Resembles Swastika​

The New York Times has spoken out in response to social media claims that its crossword published Sunday resembles a Nazi swastika.

Images of the crossword were shared on Twitter, and a host of detractors also pointed out that the puzzle was published on the eve of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.

Democratic strategist Keith Edwards was among those who shared criticism of the puzzle, tweeting: "This is the NYTimes crossword puzzle today on the first day of Hanukkah. What the hell, @nytimes?"

In a follow-up tweet in response to criticism of his initial statement, he wrote, "I personally believe swastikas shouldn't appear in the New York Times, intentionally or otherwise. Didn't think that would be a controversial take."

"Democratic strategist Keith Edwards was among those who shared criticism of the puzzle, tweeting: "This is the NYTimes crossword puzzle today on the first day of Hanukkah. What the hell, @nytimes?"

Jesus Christ.

What kind of moron thinks they did that on purpose? Who actually believes someone sits down and graphs out a crossword puzzle? There are hundreds of free crossword puzzle generators on the internet. All you do is plug in your word and hint and it generates the puzzle Free, Online Crossword Puzzle Maker - Crossword Labs

And no, that isn't a swastika. It has a shape inside it that resembles one. But only if you remove 60% of the rest of the puzzle.

This is as dumb as saying "the Catholic church said kill all Jews! They did a press release last week about Christmas and jesus but it contained every letter needed to spell out kill all Jews!!!!!!!"

Jesus Christ.

What kind of moron thinks they did that on purpose? Who actually believes someone sits down and graphs out a crossword puzzle? There are hundreds of free crossword puzzle generators on the internet. All you do is plug in your word and hint and it generates the puzzle Free, Online Crossword Puzzle Maker - Crossword Labs

And no, that isn't a swastika. It has a shape inside it that resembles one. But only if you remove 60% of the rest of the puzzle.

This is as dumb as saying "the Catholic church said kill all Jews! They did a press release last week about Christmas and jesus but it contained every letter needed to spell out kill all Jews!!!!!!!"

I don't think they did it on purpose, but you would think some editor would have noticed the similarity and made sure it wasn't published.

The puzzle's author, Ryan McCarty, says he is extra careful with words...
I (and surely most editors) would never include KKK or KLAN in a puzzle, but I might try and include BLACKKKLANSMAN, the 2018 Spike Lee movie, because of the powerful social message the film presents..
[Link]

65733529-11554343-image-a-5_1671459692741.jpg

65714891-11554343-The_Times_has_yet_to_comment_on_the_puzzle_which_was_published_S-a-9_1671460004426.jpg

The NYT says that lots of puzzles are swastikas. Funny, but I can't confirm that....

1671500087304.png

1671500119217.png

1671500170311.png

1671500310321.png

Forum List

Back