NY Times: Cuomo and de Blasio didn’t keep up with the outbreak

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Better late then never I suppose.

Finally, belatedly, the NY Times has published an article which takes a hard look at the coronavirus response by Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio. The article concludes that neither elected official did a great job responding to the virus:
For many days after the first positive test, as the coronavirus silently spread throughout the New York region, Mr. Cuomo, Mr. de Blasio and their top aides projected an unswerving confidence that the outbreak would be readily contained.
There would be cases, they repeatedly said, but New York’s hospitals were some of the best in the world. Plans were in place. Responses had been rehearsed during “tabletop” exercises. After all, the city had been here before — Ebola, Zika, the H1N1 virus, even Sept. 11.
“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Mr. Cuomo said on March 2. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”…
“We can really keep this thing contained,” Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference about virus preparations in late February.
“Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do,” said Mr. Cuomo, seated with Mr. de Blasio, at a news conference on March 2. “We have been ahead of this from Day 1.”
But they weren’t ahead of it, they were behind. The Times notes that during the same March 2 news conference the Governor discussed the first confirmed case in the city, a woman who had flown to New York from Iran a week earlier. “Out of an abundance of caution we will be contacting the people who were on the flight with her from Iran to New York,” Cuomo said. But that never happened. No one ever followed up with other passengers and Cuomo never mentioned it again.

Last edited:
I don't blame them as no one knew how contagious or dangerous C19 wound up being.

Finally, belatedly, the NY Times has published an article which takes a hard look at the coronavirus response by Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio. The article concludes that neither elected official did a great job responding to the virus:
For many days after the first positive test, as the coronavirus silently spread throughout the New York region, Mr. Cuomo, Mr. de Blasio and their top aides projected an unswerving confidence that the outbreak would be readily contained.
There would be cases, they repeatedly said, but New York’s hospitals were some of the best in the world. Plans were in place. Responses had been rehearsed during “tabletop” exercises. After all, the city had been here before — Ebola, Zika, the H1N1 virus, even Sept. 11.
“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Mr. Cuomo said on March 2. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”…
“We can really keep this thing contained,” Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference about virus preparations in late February.
“Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do,” said Mr. Cuomo, seated with Mr. de Blasio, at a news conference on March 2. “We have been ahead of this from Day 1.”
But they weren’t ahead of it, they were behind. The Times notes that during the same March 2 news conference the Governor discussed the first confirmed case in the city, a woman who had flown to New York from Iran a week earlier. “Out of an abundance of caution we will be contacting the people who were on the flight with her from Iran to New York,” Cuomo said. But that never happened. No one ever followed up with other passengers and Cuomo never mentioned it again.

You said it.

The times was late....way fucking late.

The Cuomovirus got out and was running naked in the streets all the while he was tuning his fiddle.

Deblazio should be jailed for his pathetic performance.

You said it.

The times was late....way fucking late.

The Cuomovirus got out and was running naked in the streets all the while he was tuning his fiddle.

Deblazio should be jailed for his pathetic performance.
Well, Deblazio is a lazy pos.

I don't blame them as no one knew how contagious or dangerous C19 wound up being.

We knew what was going on in China and how potentially dangerous it was, but the CDC would end up not telling people who traveled on air planes with other people from China who were identified as having Covid, and Biden scorned Trump for restricting travel from China saying he was xenophobic.

I listened to the Hugh Hewitt show today and he played instances last year and in January and February where he was warning people about this pandemic and the seriousness of it and the fact that the press and WHO and CDC were not. Instead, they were all too focused on the Trump impeachment.

Forum List

Back