NY SCOTUS rules elephants are not humans

Delldude

Sheep Dipped Boy Scout
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2014
Plasticville U.S.A
See how they see it when Trump is the elephant in the room.

ALBANY, N.Y. — Elephants are not human beings with constitutional rights, the New York State Court of Appeals ruled on Tuesday.

The advocacy group had argued that the situation amounted to a cruel confinement. And Happy, as an intelligent being, should be able to sue under habeas corpus rights against improper detention.
“No one disputes the impressive capabilities of elephants,” Chief Judge Janet DiFiore wrote in the majority 5-2 decision. But, she wrote, “nothing in our precedent or, in fact, that of any other state or federal court, provides support for the notion that the writ of habeas corpus is or should be applicable to nonhuman animals.”
Two of the court’s seven judges dissented, saying Happy should be afforded a better life.

“Historically, the Great Writ of habeas corpus was used to challenge detentions that violated no statutory right and were otherwise legal but, in a given case, unjust,” Judge Rowan Wilson wrote.
Happy the elephant at Bronx Zoo is not a person, New York’s top court rules

I can't even fathom how stupid the two dissenting judges must be....I'm sure one or both will be nominated by the dems to the fed bench in 3, 2, 1. ;)
That was my first reaction as well...

"Who are the two moonbats that dissented and when will they be removed from the court?"

Breaking -- Elephants aren't human. In other news...water is wet......film at 11...

A very bad legal strategy.

It goes without saying that animals do not have Constitutional Rights. That comes under the rule of common sense.

However, no organization or person should mistreat or abuse an animal. If they were trying to get the Elephant released on the basis of cruelty, simply being confined is not cruel if the animal is well cared for and its needs provided along with enough space for the animal to roam fairly unrestricted.

Well, New York is in.......well.....of the United States. An the New York Supreme Court is of New York. Therefore, by the transitive property, the New York Supreme Court is of the United States.

Then again, maybe not.

No finer Elephant movie than ...
- Water for Elephants - { 2011 }, starring Reese Witherspoon.
It begs to be watched again and again.
I watch every year.
Then there's the Bill Murray elephant comedy :
- Larger Than Life - { 1996 } with inarguably The most
crazed performance by skinny Trucker Tip Tucker played
relishly by Mathew McConaughey.
BTW as an avowed Film buff I am issuing a warning.
Better get older DVD's NOW.If and when available.
Because in the last couple years there has been a trend
to stop issuing or reissuing older Films on DVD.Probably in a move
to help out streaming services and Netflix.

Forum List

Back