NY Offers "Free" College to Every Student Whose Family Makes under $125k

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I did a search and didn't see a thread on this, so if there is one I apologize.

Many issues with this:
(1) Why is it set at $125k? $125k a year is not that much money anymore. Esp in NY it is middle class. These people will struggle to send their kids to college also.

(2) It is not free! It will come from tax dollars. So the $125k+ earners will have to pay for their kids tuition and everyone else's!

(3) College costs will skyrocket in NY. For the $125k+ families they are going to pay the highest tuitions in the world.

It used to be attack the rich! Now it is attack the upper portion of the middle class!

One of the best ways to make something really expensive is to make it "free".

Cuomo is also closing Indian Point which provides 25% of the electricity for NYC and Westchester country.

Now you see how Progressives turn everything into Venezuela

Snowflakes are hilarious.

It's another BIG government money grab.

They'll turn college into 13-16th grades. WONDERFUL.

Many issues with this:
(1) Why is it set at $125k? $125k a year is not that much money anymore. Esp in NY it is middle class. These people will struggle to send their kids to college also.

(2) It is not free! It will come from tax dollars. So the $125k+ earners will have to pay for their kids tuition and everyone else's!

(3) College costs will skyrocket in NY. For the $125k+ families they are going to pay the highest tuitions in the world.

It used to be attack the rich! Now it is attack the upper portion of the middle class!

They should concentrate less on academic colleges and more on Vocational schools. Also, the grants should be limited to STEM degrees and maybe things like accounting only.

We don't need any more over-educated baristas.

The devil is in the details. Few cogent taxpayers would begrudge the cost of college tuition for top students pursuing meaningful degrees or certificates. I hope this benefit is not going to be handed out to students studying ethnic or gender studies.

It's a good thing. Anyone can look at anything and think up other ways other people should've done it. For example: if $125k isn't high enough then what is?

The peanut gallery will just scream "it should be more! Or less! Or something other than what it is!

$125k in NY isn't a lot of money. Do you want to reduce crime or nah?

Many issues with this:

Make the Rich Businessmen Who Mandate This Tell Their Sons to "Work Their Way Through College"

There is only one issue, which the educationists never let us think about: the student still has to live miserably on part-time jobs, like a slacker who is afraid to grow up. It's the same as telling a construction worker, "You won't get paid until this four-year project is finished, but you won't have to pay for the tools you use." Free tuition is a desperate attempt to save this indentured-servitude system. If students aren't paid, they're not worth anything.

Forum List

Back