Not a Trick Question

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon
Who feels better, safer, more capable of defending their home twenty with their firearms rather than without? I know, stupid questions draw stupid answers but the question needed to asked in the face of all these appeal to emotion polls running 24/7 in the news and dried up hagfish actors suctioning up out of the muck to throw their has-been skin on the new gun law call bandwagon. To make things more interesting, if you so choose, please share personal experiences of times in your lives when having a gun either saved your bacon or at least made you feel a whole lot safer. Let's keep it to civilian experiences only; the military took all the choice out of your decision to be armed over there.

I'll go first, duh.

Yes, we feel much safer all the time. No brainer, right?

My wife and I were somewhere one time and for whatever reason we were well armed. While we were there we went about our business openly and legally carrying both long guns and sidearms. The place was remote, there were bad guys around which was something we did not know for certain until we were about to leave. Essentially, to this day I am 99% sure we came out of that situation unscathed because we were very visibly very well armed. We never fired a shot or pointed a weapon at anyone; we were just . . . armed. Here's to deterrence . . .

Last edited:
Who feels better, safer, more capable of defending their home twenty with their firearms than without? I know, stupid questions draw stupid answers but the question needed to asked in the face of all these appeal to emotion polls running 24/7 in the news and dried up hagfish actors suctioning up out of the muck to throw their has-been skin on the new gun law call bandwagon. To make things more interesting, if you so choose, please share personal experiences of times in your lives when having a gun either saved your bacon or at least made you feel a whole lot safer. Let's keep it to civilian experiences only; the military took all the choice out of your decision to be armed over there.

I'll go first, duh.

My wife and I were somewhere one time and for whatever reason we were well armed. While we were there we went about our business openly and legally carrying both long guns and sidearms. The place was remote, there were bad guys around which was something we did not know for certain until we were about to leave. Essentially, to this day I am 99% sure we came out of that situation unscathed because we were very visibly very well armed. We never fired a shot or pointed a weapon at anyone; we were just . . . armed. Here's to deterrence . . .
I don't know. I've never carried, and never was in an extremely uncomfortable situation. Luck I guess

Does bear hunting count? I'd hate to do that again without a rifle.
Other than some stranger showing up banging at my door at 3AM in a secluded AK spot, never had a gun out for a person

Is this a reference to that story you told a while back about that place you rented in the sticks?

Because that story kind of gave me the heebie jeebies just reading it.

Who feels better, safer, more capable of defending their home twenty with their firearms rather than without? I know, stupid questions draw stupid answers but the question needed to asked in the face of all these appeal to emotion polls running 24/7 in the news and dried up hagfish actors suctioning up out of the muck to throw their has-been skin on the new gun law call bandwagon. To make things more interesting, if you so choose, please share personal experiences of times in your lives when having a gun either saved your bacon or at least made you feel a whole lot safer. Let's keep it to civilian experiences only; the military took all the choice out of your decision to be armed over there.

I'll go first, duh.

So nothing happened, either way, but you're convinced guns saved your life. That's similar to my exerience. Years ago, I had front row seats to a Carley Simon concert. When she and I made eye contact, I was 99% convinced she wanted to have sex with me. Sometimes, you just know,---- right?

Back during the first car-jacking "craze" of the late 80s - early 90s I had two blacks try it with me in Manassas, Virginia when I stopped at a red light. I was driving a nice K5 Blazer at the time.

I caught sight of them in my trailer mirrors siding-up on either side and armed myself with a M1911A1 as I could not go anywhere due to a car in front of me.

The one on the passenger side tried the door (locked) and the other one I greeted at my window with the .45. They both beat feet through a yard and I drove off, if they had a weapon I did not see it.

It was a pretty low-rent encounter but yeah, I was glad I was well armed.

Forum List

Back