Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Not

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other, please advise

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.

That North Carolina can no longer call its elections democratic is shocking enough, but our democratic decline goes beyond what happens at election time. The most respected measures of democracy — Freedom House, POLITY and the Varieties of Democracy project — all assess the degree to which the exercise of power depends on the will of the people: That is, governance is not arbitrary, it follows established rules and is based on popular legitimacy.

The extent to which North Carolina now breaches these principles means our state government can no longer be classified as a full democracy.

Read more here: North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

It seems to me, conservatives are FINE with no democracy, as long as their party is in charge.

You seem pretty confused. The conservatives won an election done in a representative republic style of government.

Do you, or do you not want a democracy? You understand a true democracy is run by referendum, right?

The least democratic part of our government is the Supreme Court. You understand that, right?

I'd be just fine with a True Democracy actually, cuz I'd win just about every way possible. In a representative republic I am forced to make a reasonable argument.

That's something you wouldn't understand.
no, govenor fecal matter McCracka lost her election here in NC

Yet there is a Supreme Court in North Carolina. Do you want a democracy or not? Seems you complain about it, then when you lose by democratic vote, you run to an undemocratic Supreme Court.

No wonder you're confused by all this

In the just released EIP report, North Carolina’s overall electoral integrity score of 58/100 for the 2016 election places us alongside authoritarian states and pseudo-democracies like Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone. If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world.

Indeed, North Carolina does so poorly on the measures of legal framework and voter registration, that on those indicators we rank alongside Iran and Venezuela. When it comes to the integrity of the voting district boundaries no country has ever received as low a score as the 7/100 North Carolina received. North Carolina is not only the worst state in the USA for unfair districting but the worst entity in the world ever analyzed by the Electoral Integrity Project.

That North Carolina can no longer call its elections democratic is shocking enough, but our democratic decline goes beyond what happens at election time. The most respected measures of democracy — Freedom House, POLITY and the Varieties of Democracy project — all assess the degree to which the exercise of power depends on the will of the people: That is, governance is not arbitrary, it follows established rules and is based on popular legitimacy.

The extent to which North Carolina now breaches these principles means our state government can no longer be classified as a full democracy.

Read more here: North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

It seems to me, conservatives are FINE with no democracy, as long as their party is in charge.

Well, thats a biased article, because someone claims NC does not respect democracy does not make it true. Im sure every one of the points made has a good rebuttal. meanwhile here in Democratic California where I live, there was not even a Republican senator on the ballot, just two democrats to choose between.
. Yeah I bet Republicans are getting scarce in that liberal hell hole. Sad thing is, is that through Hollywood they (the libs) wanted the entire country to go the way of California, but thank God there is still great resistance against that disasterous thinking.

Forum List

Back