Ninth Circuit Orders New Trial in Criminal Dumping Case

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A self-described “dirt broker” will be getting a new trial after the Ninth Circuit overturned his 2018 conviction for illegally dumping pollutants into nearly 12 acres of protected wetlands.

James Lucero charges trucking companies and contractors a fee in exchange for providing an open space to dump dirt and construction debris.

He was sentenced to 30 months in prison after a federal jury found him guilty on three counts of violating the Clean Water Act by knowingly discharging pollutants into the Mowry Slough — part of the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge in Newark, California.

This is actually kind of an interesting case.

The court ruled that a judge must properly inform the jury on the law. He can't add anything and he can't leave anything out. I have no problem with that.

The court ruled that a judge must properly inform the jury on the law. He can't add anything and he can't leave anything out. I have no problem with that.
I do not have a problem with that either.the law must be enforced as it is written. judges do not have the power to change the law, that is up to congress

Forum List

Back