New York Governor Announces Steps To Ban LGBT Conversion Therapy

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
“We will not allow the misguided and the intolerant to punish LGBT young people for simply being who they are,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Saturday announced new executive orders aimed at banning the controversial practice of so-called conversion therapy, which seeks to change people’s gender identity and sexual orientation.

The measures announced by Cuomo include bans on public and private health care insurers from providing reimbursement for conversion therapy for people under 18. Additionally, no mental health facility licensed, funded, or operated by the state will be allowed to provide such therapy to minors.

“Conversion therapy is a hateful and fundamentally flawed practice that is counter to everything this state stands for,” Cuomo said in a statement. “We will not allow the misguided and the intolerant to punish LGBT young people for simply being who they are.”

Conversion therapy has been criticized as harmful by many of the country’s top health bodies, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Psychological Association.

A federal report released in October declared that such therapies “are coercive, can be harmful, 
and should not be part of behavioral health treatment.”

“Being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender is not a disease, disorder, illness, deficiency, or shortcoming,” Dr. Warren Seigel, chair of the New York State Academy of Pediatrics, said in a statement supporting Cuomo’s decision.

The ability to be who you're is part of being free. I've seen enough of what the isis does to people and I know that religion demands people to follow a fundie crock of shit line.

In which their own I guess...

Last edited:
“We will not allow the misguided and the intolerant to punish LGBT young people for simply being who they are,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Saturday announced new executive orders aimed at banning the controversial practice of so-called conversion therapy, which seeks to change people’s gender identity and sexual orientation.

The measures announced by Cuomo include bans on public and private health care insurers from providing reimbursement for conversion therapy for people under 18. Additionally, no mental health facility licensed, funded, or operated by the state will be allowed to provide such therapy to minors.

“Conversion therapy is a hateful and fundamentally flawed practice that is counter to everything this state stands for,” Cuomo said in a statement. “We will not allow the misguided and the intolerant to punish LGBT young people for simply being who they are.”

Conversion therapy has been criticized as harmful by many of the country’s top health bodies, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Psychological Association.

A federal report released in October declared that such therapies “are coercive, can be harmful, 

“Being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender is not a disease, disorder, illness, deficiency, or shortcoming,” Dr. Warren Seigel, chair of the New York State Academy of Pediatrics, said in a statement supporting Cuomo’s decision.

The ability to be who you're is part of being free. I've seen enough of what the isis does to people and I know that religion demands people to follow a fundie crock of shit line.

Can't "unmake" someone who is gay or transgender. Trying to force them to be straight is not longer covered by insurance in NY

Sounds like a violation of the 11st Amendment to me.

Who cares, right?

Can't "unmake" someone who is gay or transgender. Trying to force them to be straight is not longer covered by insurance in NY

What if that person wants to undergo the therapy?

Fuck their rights?

Fuck their rights?

they can pay out of pocket.

Fuck their rights?

Oh, wait...Obamacare won't cover it?

NOW, you want people to pay out of pocket?...lol

Whatever, but, to ban gay therapy would be unconstitutional.

Fuck their rights?

It is good to hear that you believe in government! ;) I do too but I just disagree on the way to use it.

Fuck their rights?

Did you bother to read the article?

It looks like the governor of New York has learned from Obama that he can do any damn things he pleases with an executive order.

It won't be long before people start to wonder why we have a Congress or state legislatures.

Fuck their rights?

Why should it be required to force gays to be straight with controversial

>>American Psychological Association
“All major national mental health organizations have officially expressed concerns about therapies promoted to modify sexual orientation. To date, there has been no scientifically adequate research to show that therapy aimed at changing sexual orientation (sometimes called reparative or conversion therapy) is safe or effective.“ http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
“No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology. Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding. Therefore, these mainstream organizations long ago abandoned classifications of homosexuality as a mental disorder.“
http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
The American Psychological Association also reviewed more than 83 studies (done by others) from 1960-2007 in its report on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE).
(See here: http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/therapeutic-response.pdf).
Page 41-42 does a good job at showing the studies both past and recent concerning concerns of harm.
They had this to say:
“We found that there was some evidence to indicate that individuals experienced harm from SOCE. Early studies documented iatrogenic effects of aversive forms of SOCE. These negative side effects included loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality, and anxiety. High drop rates characterized early aversive treatment studies and may be an indicator that research participants experienced these treatments as harmful.”
American Psychiatric Association
In its position statement on Psychiatric Treatment and Sexual Orientation the APA states:
“The potential risks of “reparative therapy” are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient. Many patients who have undergone “reparative therapy” relate that they were inaccurately told that homosexuals are lonely, unhappy individuals who never achieve acceptance or satisfaction. The possibility that the person might achieve happiness and satisfying interpersonal relationships as a gay man or lesbian is not presented,nor are alternative approaches to dealing with the effects of societal stigmatization discussed“
http://www.glsenboston.org/JustTheFacts.pdf
“No. All major professional mental health organizations have gone on record to affirm that homosexuality is not a mental disorder. In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association’s Board of Trustees removed homosexuality from its official diagnostic manual, The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Second Edition (DSM II). The action was taken following a review of the scientific literature and consultation with experts in the field. The experts found that homosexuality does not meet the criteria to be considered a mental illness.”
http://www.psychiatry.org/lgbt-sexual-orientation<<

Why should tax payers pay for such a harmful therapy that does not work?

Other countries have banned the therapy or are no longer paying for it.

Can't force a gay person to not be gay against their will. Can't change the brain chemistry through behavioral therapy that is harmful. Gays are not dogs. You might teach one to salivate at the sight of a girl but that is not the same as un-attraction of the same sex with pain, just make them hesitate to touch. Can't make the eye dilate and sexual organs to respond, or not respond. Without the punishment and pain, the behavior returns only you make the gay feel guilty and even suicidal.

Being gay begins in the womb because of the fluctuations in proteins and hormones during brain development. You can't un-do that.

Being gay is natural and physical, not behavioral or some metal illness. It might begin in the brain development, but it is not psychological. It cannot be un-learned. You can't shock a person into not being attracted to the same sex, just teach them to hate themselves for how nature created their brains.

Fuck their rights?

Most countries have banned the use or at least stopped recommending it for mental patients as well.

Fuck their rights?

Why should it be required to force gays to be straight with controversial

>>American Psychological Association
“All major national mental health organizations have officially expressed concerns about therapies promoted to modify sexual orientation. To date, there has been no scientifically adequate research to show that therapy aimed at changing sexual orientation (sometimes called reparative or conversion therapy) is safe or effective.“ http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
“No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology. Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding. Therefore, these mainstream organizations long ago abandoned classifications of homosexuality as a mental disorder.“
http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
The American Psychological Association also reviewed more than 83 studies (done by others) from 1960-2007 in its report on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE).
(See here: http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/therapeutic-response.pdf).
Page 41-42 does a good job at showing the studies both past and recent concerning concerns of harm.
They had this to say:
“We found that there was some evidence to indicate that individuals experienced harm from SOCE. Early studies documented iatrogenic effects of aversive forms of SOCE. These negative side effects included loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality, and anxiety. High drop rates characterized early aversive treatment studies and may be an indicator that research participants experienced these treatments as harmful.”
American Psychiatric Association
In its position statement on Psychiatric Treatment and Sexual Orientation the APA states:
“The potential risks of “reparative therapy” are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient. Many patients who have undergone “reparative therapy” relate that they were inaccurately told that homosexuals are lonely, unhappy individuals who never achieve acceptance or satisfaction. The possibility that the person might achieve happiness and satisfying interpersonal relationships as a gay man or lesbian is not presented,nor are alternative approaches to dealing with the effects of societal stigmatization discussed“
http://www.glsenboston.org/JustTheFacts.pdf
“No. All major professional mental health organizations have gone on record to affirm that homosexuality is not a mental disorder. In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association’s Board of Trustees removed homosexuality from its official diagnostic manual, The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Second Edition (DSM II). The action was taken following a review of the scientific literature and consultation with experts in the field. The experts found that homosexuality does not meet the criteria to be considered a mental illness.”
http://www.psychiatry.org/lgbt-sexual-orientation<<

Why should tax payers pay for such a harmful therapy that does not work?

Other countries have banned the therapy or are no longer paying for it.

Can't force a gay person to not be gay against their will. Can't change the brain chemistry through behavioral therapy that is harmful. Gays are not dogs. You might teach one to salivate at the sight of a girl but that is not the same as un-attraction of the same sex with pain, just make them hesitate to touch. Can't make the eye dilate and sexual organs to respond, or not respond. Without the punishment and pain, the behavior returns only you make the gay feel guilty and even suicidal.

Being gay begins in the womb because of the fluctuations in proteins and hormones during brain development. You can't un-do that.

Being gay is natural and physical, not behavioral or some metal illness. It might begin in the brain development, but it is not psychological. It cannot be un-learned. You can't shock a person into not being attracted to the same sex, just teach them to hate themselves for how nature created their brains.

I never said anything about forcing. I asked, what if someone voluntarily sought the treatment?

Suddenly, Liberals want to deny treatment to people, because the Liberals are opposed to it?

How hypocritical is that?

Fuck their rights?

Most countries have banned the use or at least stopped recommending it for mental patients as well.

Most countries don't have civil rights, the way we do here in The United States.

Most countries used to put people in trial for witchcraft, too; did that make it ok?

Fuck their rights?

It is good to hear that you believe in government! ;) I do too but I just disagree on the way to use it.

You agree with stalin, in how to use government.

Fuck their rights?

Most countries don't have civil rights, the way we do here in The United States.

Most countries used to put people in trial for witchcraft, too; did that make it ok?

A few still do have witch trials. Fortunately it is far less common.

They don't force a witch to not be witch, they kill them.

There is no such thing as LGBT "conversion therapy". It's a left wing propaganda term used to describe legitimate psychological counseling designed to show quiet and possibly effeminate little boys how to become men when there is no male influence in the home . The alternative is to force timid little boys who might grow out of their timidness to undergo therapy designed to convince them that they are really girls. That is far, far more dangerous and harmful.

Fuck their rights?

A few still do have witch trials. Fortunately it is far less common.

They don't force a witch to not be witch, they kill them.

Are you saying we should ban medical disciplines and procedures you don't agree with?

Forum List

Back