New gun law requires owners to report missing firearms

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

Illinois gun owners will have to report missing firearms to police and check the background of potential buyers under a law Gov. Pat Quinn enacted Sunday.

Quinn signed the legislation at a South Side park near where an off-duty Chicago police officer was killed with an illegally trafficked gun in 2010. He said the law will make it easier to recover stolen weapons and help ensure that only responsible people buy firearms. The measure passed both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly with healthy majorities.

Can you believe they actually had to make this a law?? -- to get gun owners to act like responsible citizens. (I believe most of them do)

I'm guessing that's because a lot people in rural areas buy a fancy new AR-15, have some funning killing cans and pumpkins, then the darn thing "goes missing" when it comes time to pay the credit card bill -- they have no idea how it ended up down in Juarez Mexico.

Illinois gun owners will have to report missing firearms to police and check the background of potential buyers under a law Gov. Pat Quinn enacted Sunday.

Quinn signed the legislation at a South Side park near where an off-duty Chicago police officer was killed with an illegally trafficked gun in 2010. He said the law will make it easier to recover stolen weapons and help ensure that only responsible people buy firearms. The measure passed both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly with healthy majorities.

Can you believe they actually had to make this a law?? -- to get gun owners to act like responsible citizens. (I believe most of them do)

I'm guessing that's because a lot people in rural areas buy a fancy new AR-15, have some funning killing cans and pumpkins, then the darn thing "goes missing" when it comes time to pay the credit card bill -- they have no idea how it ended up down in Juarez Mexico.
I can believe it.

Remember, Illinois had to be forced by the courts to write this law. They put this kind of stuff in so that jackhats like you could make the comments you did.

One day, if they're ever about to come and take everyone's guns, I wonder how many will suddenly be reported 'missing' right before? Mine will :razz:

:laugh:
I was just wondering how long before "taking away the guns" would come up.

The law seems quite reasonable if law enforcement in Illinois ever hopes to have a record of who owns the guns.

One day, if they're ever about to come and take everyone's guns, I wonder how many will suddenly be reported 'missing' right before? Mine will :razz:

The law seems quite reasonable if law enforcement in Illinois ever hopes to have a record of who owns the guns.

Law enforcement doesn't need a record of who owns the guns.

Remember, Illinois had to be forced by the courts to write this law. They put this kind of stuff in so that jackhats like you could make the comments you did.

No dummy, they were forced to rewrite their carry permit law.

Jeez, you people can't one fact straight.

So, when a gun is recovered at a crime scene (like a car at a hit and run) what would you suggest they do?

So, when a gun is recovered at a crime scene (like a car at a hit and run) what would you suggest they do?

Gee, I don't know. I guess the same thing they do everywhere else where there is no gun registration. Good old fashioned police work. When I lived in South Carolina there was no gun registration and yet strangely the police arrested people in gun related crimes all the time. Uncanny, huh?

LOL -- The idiocy of the gun grab "conspiracy theory"!!

Let's see, we have a consumer driven economy and a government funded by tax revenue -- yet you morons believe that all 3 branches of our government might someday collude in a drastic measure to enforce a new oppressive way of life upon us that will tank the economy (and thus the tax base) faster than you can say "Back in the US, Back in US, Back in the USSR..." That would be like farmer starving all his livestock the month before he takes them to market. He sure taught them a lesson!!

Think people, think. Why would the government want to disenfranchise the entire nation and bring our way of life to an end? -- are you people really that stupid that you can't think things through and see how idiotic these "gun grab" NRA fear tactics are?

in about fifteen minutes after finding the firearm

the "law" already knows who the last owner legal owner was

Is anyone surprised that hazlenut thinks government power is a good idea?

No dummy, they were forced to rewrite their carry permit law.

Jeez, you people can't one fact straight.

They didn't have a carry permit law.

Talk about not keeping your facts straight.

Apparently law enforcement doesn't agree. The ATF received over a 350,000 requests from law enforcement for gun ownership tracings last year. When the police have a gun that was used to commit a crime, knowing who the gun belongs to is often useful. Although a database of gun ownership is never completely accurate, it can give investigators a lead in tying the gun to the perpetrator.

Is anyone surprised that hazlenut thinks government power is a good idea?

the law doesnt do much of anything

certainly not anything new

If they recover a stolen car at a crime scene do they blame the owner?

Didn't think so.

Because the US Government shipped it there? :confused:

If they recover a stolen car at a crime scene do they blame the owner?

Didn't think so.
No, but they certainly will want to talk to the owner in hopes of finding out who had the car at the time the crime was committed. I'm sure police would want to do the same thing with a gun found at the scene.

Forum List

Back