Neal Boortz, Herman Cain, Taxation, And The Stockholm Syndrome

In truth, while I like Herman Cain very much and think he will eventually be open to revision of his own plan if he should be the nominee and/or the next President, gut level I see too many complications and problems with it to feel really enthusiastic about it. But I sure as hell don't suffer from the Stockholm syndrome.

I still look at a simple flat tax across the board paid by everybody--individuals, all business and corporate profits, families, everybody--as the only true simplification of the tax code. Yes it means that that bottom 50% currently paying little or no federal income tax will have to pay something, but they should. Nobody should have the right to vote money from the public treasury that won't affect them too.

And that flat tax should be accompanied by an iron clad law or preferably a constitutional amendment that Congress has to limit spending to the amount of revenues except in extreme national emergency.

I think Mr. Cain is on the right track but has not yet hit on the solution that we need.

In truth, while I like Herman Cain very much and think he will eventually be open to revision of his own plan if he should be the nominee and/or the next President, gut level I see too many complications and problems with it to feel really enthusiastic about it. But I sure as hell don't suffer from the Stockholm syndrome.

I still look at a simple flat tax across the board paid by everybody--individuals, all business and corporate profits, families, everybody--as the only true simplification of the tax code. Yes it means that that bottom 50% currently paying little or no federal income tax will have to pay something, but they should. Nobody should have the right to vote money from the public treasury that won't affect them too.

And that flat tax should be accompanied by an iron clad law or preferably a constitutional amendment that Congress has to limit spending to the amount of revenues except in extreme national emergency.

I think Mr. Cain is on the right track but has not yet hit on the solution that we need.
Could very well be...but the plan is bold and a bridge to the FAIR TAX...(Which involves abolishing the 16th Amendment, and deservedly so...otherwise couldn't be implimented)...I digress...

Comment on the 'Stockholm Syndrome' analogy?

Have we become so ensconced in the present tax code...held captive for so long and the brand of slavery it has foisted upon us, that we cannot find it within ourselves to free ourselves from it by rejecting it?

OR have we indeed as Mr. Boortz suggests, and have made friends with our captors?

Oh I definitely believe the political class, i.e. the statists/political left, are absolutely enslaved by the Stockholm syndrome. Punishing success, rewarding underachievers, and increasing the power and role of government is the name of the game and the captors have convinced most of them that the existing tax code in principle is the way that is best accomplished.

Having said that, Herman Cain is willing to radically change the tax code, but we would still have an income tax--no abolishment of the 16th Amendment there--PLUS a brand new federal sales tax that I have not yet been convinced is not a dangerous VAT.

Nevertheless, rejection of the worst components of a system does not always involved throwing out all concepts and starting over with something entirely different. I am simply not a supporter of the so-called 'fair tax' or VAT as I don't know of a single case in which that has not be escalated and/or abused over time and there is absolutely no reason that a national sales tax would not go the same way as it has in local communities and states.

So that brings us back to a truly flat tax with much less room for tweaking by our elected officials. I simply see no fairer or simpler or more reasonable way to fund the necessary functions of government.

I am willing to be convinced if somebody has a better idea though.

Oh I definitely believe the political class, i.e. the statists/political left, are absolutely enslaved by the Stockholm syndrome. Punishing success, rewarding underachievers, and increasing the power and role of government is the name of the game and the captors have convinced most of them that the existing tax code in principle is the way that is best accomplished.

Having said that, Herman Cain is willing to radically change the tax code, but we would still have an income tax--no abolishment of the 16th Amendment there--PLUS a brand new federal sales tax that I have not yet been convinced is not a dangerous VAT.

Nevertheless, rejection of the worst components of a system does not always involved throwing out all concepts and starting over with something entirely different. I am simply not a supporter of the so-called 'fair tax' or VAT as I don't know of a single case in which that has not be escalated and/or abused over time and there is absolutely no reason that a national sales tax would not go the same way as it has in local communities and states.

So that brings us back to a truly flat tax with much less room for tweaking by our elected officials. I simply see no fairer or simpler or more reasonable way to fund the necessary functions of government.

I am willing to be convinced if somebody has a better idea though.
I appreciate the reply.

Self explanitory...

Watch as the Talkmaster explains the reason so many reject calls to reform the present tax code, and reject Herman Cain's 9 9 9 plan...The plantation is calling you...:eusa_whistle:
Has a house slave actually left the "plantation?"

Self explanitory...

Watch as the Talkmaster explains the reason so many reject calls to reform the present tax code, and reject Herman Cain's 9 9 9 plan...The plantation is calling you...:eusa_whistle:
Taking things out of context as usual. No surprise coming from you Edith.

Taking things out of context as usual. No surprise coming from you Edith.
So tell me, what was the context of your "plantation" comment?
Figure it out...Statist.

I have learned from painful interaction with Ed that he has no understanding of or interest in 'context' :)

But the Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well among the more radical leftists in America. And that certainly includes being willing to turn more and more of our freedoms, opportunity, and prosperity over to the federal government to manage for us on the theory that government can manage our lives, spend our money, and arrange our destiny more efficiently and effectively than we can do that for ourselves.

And if the tax code can be used to facilitate that, so much the better.

Figure it out...Statist.

I have learned from painful interaction with Ed that he has no understanding of or interest in 'context' :)
Claiming something is out of context without giving the correct context is the coward's way of admitting I had the correct context all along.
Thank you also!

In this case, the correct context was already in the post that was then misrepresented or distorted thus attempting to make an out of context statement something different than was intended.

But the Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well among the more radical leftists in America. And that certainly includes being willing to turn more and more of our freedoms, opportunity, and prosperity over to the federal government to manage for us on the theory that government can manage our lives, spend our money, and arrange our destiny more efficiently and effectively than we can do that for ourselves.

And if the tax code can be used to facilitate that, so much the better.
Don't you just love how CON$ have anointed themselves as psychoanalysts to the world.

In order for Borezzzz BS to be true, the people have to have made "friends" with the IRS tax code. :cuckoo: Mind you he opened his rant with the claim of how much the people have grown to HATE the IRS tax code, but to parrot his GOP script he's reading from, suddenly the Stockholm Syndrome has made the people friends with the IRS tax code they have grown to hate!!!
What a major league :asshole:
And there are people on this board STUPID enough to swallow Borezzzz's BS whole! :rofl::lmao:

Regarding the "Stockholm Syndrome", there is another way to look at it.
We have people defending the "job creators", yet these same people haven't seen
their wages keeping up with inflation for decades now and isn't it the job creators who determine wages? Thus these people feel like hostages to a hopeless life.
Isn't that having positive feelings for their captors to the point of defending their captors, ala the "Stockholm Syndrome"?
As usual, things are a two-way street.

Self explanitory...

Claiming something is out of context without giving the correct context is the coward's way of admitting I had the correct context all along.
Thank you also!

In this case, the correct context was already in the post that was then misrepresented or distorted thus attempting to make an out of context statement something different than was intended.
:bsflag:

their wages keeping up with inflation for decades now and isn't it the job creators who determine wages? Thus these people feel like hostages to a hopeless life.
Isn't that having positive feelings for their captors to the point of defending their captors, ala the "Stockholm Syndrome"?

The Job Creators do not determine the wages for the most part. Supply and demand determnes the wages for the most part. In times of high unemployment, the glut of workers looking for work coupled with more scarcity of cash in the system will bring the price of labor down. In times of full unemployment, coupled with ability to pay more, the scarcity of workers will force the price of labor up.

The Stockholm Syndrome comes into play only when people are sympathetic to those who facilitate policies that encourage high unemployment with resulting increase in the overall misery index.

The Job Creators do not determine the wages for the most part. Supply and demand determines the wages for the most part. In times of high unemployment, the glut of workers looking for work coupled with more scarcity of cash in the system will bring the price of labor down. In times of full unemployment, coupled with ability to pay more, the scarcity of workers will force the price of labor up.

The Stockholm Syndrome comes into play only when people are sympathetic to those who facilitate policies that encourage high unemployment with resulting increase in the overall misery index.

Wages started to become flat in the 1980's when US Companies started offshore outsourcing aggressively because of the the lower wages in Third World Countries. This sad phenomenon has grown leaps and bounds because it enhances the bottom-line. The bottom-line determines the steps the job creators will make to grow the profits and that includes incorporating low labor costs.
Technology/automation has played it's part as far has holding down wages but to ignore the off-shoring of jobs is a huge factor. Right now, US companies aren't hiring in the US, but they are hiring elsewhere and lower wages are a huge part of the equation. That decision is made by the "job creators" and no one else. In the last decade, 2.9 jobs were created in the US by US companies, 2.4 million offshore jobs were also created by US companies
In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is a term used to describe a real paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending the captor. It isn't true that "the Stockholm Syndrome comes into play only when people are sympathetic to those who facilitate policies that encourage high unemployment with resulting increase in the overall misery index."! The term actually derives from a hostages that befriended the captors, like Patricia Hearst.

Stockholm Syndrome
 
noun Psychiatry.
an emotional attachment to a captor formed by a hostage as a result of continuous stress, dependence, and a need to cooperate for survival.
Origin: after an incident in Stockholm in 1973, during which a bank employee became romantically attached to a robber who held her hostage.
Stockholm syndrome | Define Stockholm syndrome at Dictionary.com

Self explanitory...

Thank you also!

:bsflag:

Disprove it...EDITH

Thank you also!

The whole context was Boortz...Cain...Me...YOU...daring to think outside the box and daring to finger our captors as we wander OFF the plantation of Statist wisdom. ;)

Forum List

Back