Native American Culture: What's the point?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
While wandering around the television dial the other day, I happened to land on a speech by some Native American personage, wherein he enthusiastically patted himself on the back for getting a small shitload of Government (your) money to pay for elevating Native culture, language, crafts, and religion within their community, which apparently resides mainly on reservations. One might note, incidentally, that there are hundreds of such communities, all with their own culture, language, crafts, and religion, throughout North America.

It is with no animus or hate that I find myself asking, What is the point?

There is NO FUTURE for native people (use whatever expression you like) that does not involve assimilation with the larger culture. If they do not assimilate they will forever be nothing more than government-dependent wastrels. Were it not for our bizarre laws that allowed them to get into the gambling business, where would those communities be today?

Yes, "we" stole their lands and forced them into places where no rational people would want to reside. The "white man" has acted - and continues to act - disgracefully w/r/t the "red man." But it's far past time for those communities to buck up and join Western Civilization. It is utterly pointless to be perpetuating hunter-gatherer culture when the world long ago passed that lifestyle by. They don't need to be schooled in primitive culture; they need to be learning valuable trades, the Queen's English, and contemporary American middle-class values.

The Canadian and American movements of the last century to bring native peoples into modernity were flawed and caused a lot of evil things to be done, but it was in the right direction generally. To spend good Government money to perpetuate native culture is idiotic in the extreme.

I think they want to maintain their ancient culture more as a memorial than a practical way of life. Most are quite happy with modern life

While wandering around the television dial the other day, I happened to land on a speech by some Native American personage, wherein he enthusiastically patted himself on the back for getting a small shitload of Government (your) money to pay for elevating Native culture, language, crafts, and religion within their community, which apparently resides mainly on reservations. One might note, incidentally, that there are hundreds of such communities, all with their own culture, language, crafts, and religion, throughout North America.

There is NO FUTURE for native people (use whatever expression you like) that does not involve assimilation with the larger culture. If they do not assimilate they will forever be nothing more than government-dependent wastrels. Were it not for our bizarre laws that allowed them to get into the gambling business, where would those communities be today?

Yes, "we" stole their lands and forced them into places where no rational people would want to reside. The "white man" has acted - and continues to act - disgracefully w/r/t the "red man." But it's far past time for those communities to buck up and join Western Civilization. It is utterly pointless to be perpetuating hunter-gatherer culture when the world long ago passed that lifestyle by. They don't need to be schooled in primitive culture; they need to be learning valuable trades, the Queen's English, and contemporary American middle-class values.

The Canadian and American movements of the last century to bring native peoples into modernity were flawed and caused a lot of evil things to be done, but it was in the right direction generally. To spend good Government money to perpetuate native culture is idiotic in the extreme.
Bizare rules like having their own sovereignty in the nation, I can tell how it would confuse yous guys.

• Love
Reactions: IM2

It's about the money---Billions of $$$$$ being sent to the tribes for FREE SHIT and CASH while they enjoy tax breaks.

Of course the reservations have a few big quirks that most don't understand.
1) Many of the people claiming to be indians on the reservations aren't indians--many illegals and their offspring not to mention full blacks who claim to be indains to go along with a white hippies also wanting free chit while they smoke various weeds.
2) The Reservations are a crime haven for drugs, alcohol abuse, child abuse, and massive rapes--but hey our tax dollars go to support this stupidity.
3) Indian culture is DEAD-----the Indians today do not live like the Indians of the WEST.......they drive cars, have computers, seek professional doctors, go to the liquor store and grocery stores, etc like everyone else and more. They don't live in Teepees but often free homes provided or mobile homes.

The Reservations should go------forcibly. Time to grow up and support yourselves, Indians or whatevers.....

--Indian Turtle

No, it's time for whites to buck up and accept their choice. They didn't need whites to bring them "into modernity."

It's about the money---Billions of $$$$$ being sent to the tribes for FREE SHIT and CASH while they enjoy tax breaks.

Of course the reservations have a few big quirks that most don't understand.
1) Many of the people claiming to be indians on the reservations aren't indians--many illegals and their offspring not to mention full blacks who claim to be indains to go along with a white hippies also wanting free chit while they smoke various weeds.
2) The Reservations are a crime haven for drugs, alcohol abuse, child abuse, and massive rapes--but hey our tax dollars go to support this stupidity.
3) Indian culture is DEAD-----the Indians today do not live like the Indians of the WEST.......they drive cars, have computers, seek professional doctors, go to the liquor store and grocery stores, etc like everyone else and more. They don't live in Teepees but often free homes provided or mobile homes.

The Reservations should go------forcibly. Time to grow up and support yourselves, Indians or whatevers.....

--Indian Turtle
You have no idea how they establish membership rules.

New Topics

Forum List

Back