My paintings

I see a lot of people are viewing this thread, and I hate the prospect of my current painting being a public failure, but I have not done anything for two days because the greenery in front of the sunflowers is just a mess. I needed a break to think about it and I am getting one, because I have relatives visiting for the next two weeks, so I will not have much time to paint.

I just finished sunflowers myself!

IMG_20160812_192318.jpg

I just finished sunflowers myself!

IMG_20160812_192318.jpg

Well done, I am afraid to say my painting has stalled. I could not get the greenery to look right and I have lost interest in finishing it.
I have done that so many times!

You might should have put in the background greenery first. Your painting is stylized with the main emphasis on the spiral design in the flower centers. I would have drawn the circles, put in the centers, put in the greenery, then the petals and touch up the centers. You can still fix it.

Risking 'public failure' is an inspiration to those of us who seize up at the mere thought of failure in private! Pastels are the medium of choice for me - I like touching and shaping the work with my hands. Most of mine come from photos I've taken and the attempt is made to be realistic - which makes them a dime a dozen. I'm searching for something a little 'freer'.in form and color that still satisfies the need for a least a hint of realism.

An example of a traditional work...
IMGP0001 (2).JPG

and a newer (practice) work in progress with less detail...
IMG_1805 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

Risking 'public failure' is an inspiration to those of us who seize up at the mere thought of failure in private! Pastels are the medium of choice for me - I like touching and shaping the work with my hands. Most of mine come from photos I've taken and the attempt is made to be realistic - which makes them a dime a dozen. I'm searching for something a little 'freer'.in form and color that still satisfies the need for a least a hint of realism.

An example of a traditional work...
View attachment 98127

and a newer (practice) work in progress with less detail...
View attachment 98134

That's some good work there.

View attachment 80983

Well here is the work I have done in the second week. I have only worked an average of two hours a day and having done most of the sunflowers I am now struggling with the foliage behind them. The foliage needs a lot of work, and the photo didn't come out very well on the left side as the light was shining on it. In the actual painting the flowers look the same on both sides.

Well, I have done no painting for a year. Based on the feeling I am a failure. If I could not finish the sunflowers what hope was there of doing anything better. But in the early hours of this morning I decided to simply paint over it.
I am going to wash over it with primer and start something better. It took a year to decide that, but I figure I am still in good health, and can finish some good work in what's left of my life.

View attachment 80983

Well here is the work I have done in the second week. I have only worked an average of two hours a day and having done most of the sunflowers I am now struggling with the foliage behind them. The foliage needs a lot of work, and the photo didn't come out very well on the left side as the light was shining on it. In the actual painting the flowers look the same on both sides.

Well, I have done no painting for a year. Based on the feeling I am a failure. If I could not finish the sunflowers what hope was there of doing anything better. But in the early hours of this morning I decided to simply paint over it.
I am going to wash over it with primer and start something better. It took a year to decide that, but I figure I am still in good health, and can finish some good work in what's left of my life.

You are not a failure, take heart that there are so many of the rest of us who wish we had your talent. Keep at it, and don't worry about what a few oafs may think.

Yippee ! I am back. I have been painting for two days and I am getting somewhere at last. I have loosened up my style, and I am not trying to paint pictures too realistically. With the consequence I am making progress.

I am currently painting on a very old picture I gave up on years ago and it is looking far better after only two days work. I will post a picture of it when its finished. Watch this space.

View attachment 80983

Wow, just wow.
Special tribute to Dajjal's sunflower pic: Haiku Moments

Last edited:
View attachment 80983

Wow, just wow.
Special tribute to Dajjal's sunflower pic: Haiku Moments

Thanks, I may go back to the sunflower picture next year when it gets warmer. The reason being it is six feet wide and there is not enough room in my bedroom. I only heat the bedroom and I do not want to pay money to heat another room, for one thing I would have to buy another heater. So I can only work in the bedroom in winter
I am currently working on a smaller picture, and will probably finish it in a week or two when I will post a photo.

Well, it looks like crap. The actual painting does not look that bad. I took it at night and my digital camera used flash. I think I will get better results taking a pic with my film camera, and scanning it..

Well this is my latest painting, but its not finished, and the photo is out of focus. But I just wanted to see if I could post it.View attachment 231844

Of course an unfinished work looks just that....unfinished.

I have no doubt it will be beautiful when it's complete.

If it looked as bad in real life as it does in the photo I would not bother to finish it, but its better than it appears above. The center subject of the figure rising up is completely out of focus in the photo.

Forum List

Back