Musical Milestones

Death Cab for Cutie released The Photo Album 20 years ago today

Last edited:
statement from Soundgarden:

Hey kids!
Soundgarden’s 4th album, Badmotorfinger, was released 30 years ago today on A&M records! This was the debut album for bassist Ben Shepherd which established Soundgarden’s classic and final recording lineup.

These recordings were co-produced with our friend, Terry Date. The band brought in horns, strings and things along with the instruments’ players as gifts for him to get on tape.

There has been some issue as to the actual release date for BMF. We often have to correct as well as learn from internet sources. Last year we mistakenly chose the wrong date. Oh Wikipedia, we learn to grow together! Originally, BMF was scheduled to be released on September 24th, the same day as Nirvana’s Nevermind. However, when the album jackets were printed, the band was super disappointed with the artwork. We’ve included the initial LP cover art here. (Pic #3 & #4) The pastel color selection resembled “sweet tarts” candy, chalk, or children’s chewable vitamins. The A&M president agreed and supported us by having the cover redone by their art dept. and overseen by Kim. The initial print run was sent to markets where fewer heavy rock records were sold. Congratulations to Brazil on possessing rare collectible versions! The album’s release date was subsequently pushed back to October 8th.

Btw, imagine the serendipitous
amazement and amusement when, while searching thru photo session contact sheets, Kim and the art director find a series of pics where Matt is wearing a purple shirt matching the front album cover!! (Ha! and Yeah Matt!!).

The jacket’s photography was by Michael Lavine and the cover’s art features the iconic Soundgarden logo and electric wheel of sparks designed by Mark Dancey.

The singles were “Jesus Christ Pose”, “Outshined” and “Rusty Cage”. An earlier version of “Room a Thousand Years Wide”, recorded by Stuart Hallerman, was released as a single the previous year on Sub Pop records.

The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance was released 15 years ago today

Last edited:
There Are Rules by The Get Up Kids was released 10 years ago today

Last edited:
‘Bad As Me,’ the most recent solo album by Tom Waits, came out 10 years ago today...will post songs later

The National released their self-titled debut 20 years ago today. will post songs later

Billy Joel’s debut solo album ‘Cold Spring Harbor’ was released 5️⃣0️⃣ years ago today...might post songs later

"Islands In The Stream" from Dolly Parton and the late great Kenny Rogers was number one on this day in 1983. :) :) :)

God bless you and Kenny's family and Dolly always!!!

Holly

My Bloody Valentine released their classic Loveless 30 years ago today

Last edited:
40 years ago today, the crushing metal masterpiece "Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath came out

Last edited:
Motley Crue's debut Too Fast For Love was released 40 years ago today!

Last edited:
One Direction released debut "Up All Night" 10 years ago today

Last edited:
I Love Rock & Roll by Joan Jett 40 years ago today will post songs later

Forum List

Back