Most disappointing albums of time

The Doors "The Soft Parade". They traded their cosmically-mad howling carnival rock for strings and a horn section. Jim crooned, seriously.

The Soft Parade was one of their best albums!

Different strokes.

Please understand that their name The Doors was an abbreviation taken from a book on the psychedelic experience that Morrison had read called 'The Doors of Perception'---- as such, both the albums and the songs like every great band, must change, evolve. The Soft Parade was merely the Doors stretching themselves into new areas previous work hadsn't allowed them to show all their talents in.

Another song of theirs I like very much is this one.

I know the story. Saw them in concert three times. Jim was like a box of chocolates.

The band got better as he fell apart.

No album in particular comes to mind, but it seems that groups that have a smash first album, often have a very disappointing second. I put most of the blame on the record companies who want to capitalize on the popularity of the first album, so we get a second filled with hastily written inferior songs and others that weren't good enough to be on the first. These groups have basically worked their entire careers putting together a solid repertoire, then are asked to come up with more in less than a year. Unless they're stone geniuses, it just can't be done and we get a crap second album.

No album in particular comes to mind, but it seems that groups that have a smash first album, often have a very disappointing second. I put most of the blame on the record companies who want to capitalize on the popularity of the first album, so we get a second filled with hastily written inferior songs and others that weren't good enough to be on the first. These groups have basically worked their entire careers putting together a solid repertoire, then are asked to come up with more in less than a year. Unless they're stone geniuses, it just can't be done and we get a crap second album.
There are very few artists that have the talent to continually churn out great music. I think the same goes for writers as well.

The Oasis album mentioned above is a good example. The first album was the work of a genius but it was the result of a lifetime of work. The second album appeared maybe two years later and was disappointing. The subsequent albums showed diminishing returns.

Springsteen always delivers and Weller has done it for 40 years though his last album was low key. Bob Dylan, Smokey Robinson, Brian Wilson, Macca and Ray Davies come to mind.

I suppose its easier to keep regurgitating the hits than try and create something new or different.

I used to be in love with Metallica. THEN st anger came out. Complete trash and a huge disappointment. Every album since then has been trash too.
Not only do they top my "most disappointing albums" list, they are the most disappointing bands as well.

Forum List

Back