Mindless Confusion

We went out to see our daughter and granddaughters today and like everyone else she is home schooling. I talked to the girls about their homework and they said they were working on homophones. I said what was a homophone, never having heard the term, and they said a word that sounds the same but has different meaning. I said you mean a homonym and they said no a homophone so we went round and round until momma stepped in.

This example is just indicative of where education is today. Clarity is out the window and mindless confusion is the norm. I came home and looked up these terms. Homophone, homograph, homonym, and heterograph. Incredibly some of the words had the same definition. The only points of separation were that some words were spelled the same while other words were not. They literally used the example of right and write as the ones that were spelled the same. I don’t know how kids learn anything in today’s world. Math is taught like its English or new words with no function other than clutter pop up so some people can act smart explaining what their creations mean. Homonym covers it all, it’s words that sound the same but have different meaning. It covers all the definitions of all these other words. There is no need to embellish the meaning with a slew of new words that are just going to confuse already overwhelmed students And have no legitimate purpose except to add unnecessary layers of clutter to the learning process. Students bogged down with this crap then find it even more difficult to master straight line thinking because they are handcuffed by this nonsensical information that has to be processed. This in a nutshell is one of the reasons education today is such a huge fail for our young people.

Certainly no child can succeed in life if they mix up the words homophone and homonym. Because honestly, that's huge working knowledge in the real word.

Way to get all worked up over nothing there, gramps. I'm sure your daughter, who is trying hard to do online learning, really appreciated it.

We went out to see our daughter and granddaughters today and like everyone else she is home schooling. I talked to the girls about their homework and they said they were working on homophones. I said what was a homophone, never having heard the term, and they said a word that sounds the same but has different meaning. I said you mean a homonym and they said no a homophone so we went round and round until momma stepped in.

This example is just indicative of where education is today. Clarity is out the window and mindless confusion is the norm. I came home and looked up these terms. Homophone, homograph, homonym, and heterograph. Incredibly some of the words had the same definition. The only points of separation were that some words were spelled the same while other words were not. They literally used the example of right and write as the ones that were spelled the same. I don’t know how kids learn anything in today’s world. Math is taught like its English or new words with no function other than clutter pop up so some people can act smart explaining what their creations mean. Homonym covers it all, it’s words that sound the same but have different meaning. It covers all the definitions of all these other words. There is no need to embellish the meaning with a slew of new words that are just going to confuse already overwhelmed students And have no legitimate purpose except to add unnecessary layers of clutter to the learning process. Students bogged down with this crap then find it even more difficult to master straight line thinking because they are handcuffed by this nonsensical information that has to be processed. This in a nutshell is one of the reasons education today is such a huge fail for our young people.
Wow. It sounds like the failure here is yours.

And if she had nailed the difference between homophone and homonym, gramps here would have come whining about learning worthless knowledge, kids can't read, can't write, can't do math, but who needs to know this.

And if she had nailed the difference between homophone and homonym, gramps here would have come whining about learning worthless knowledge, kids can't read, can't write, can't do math, but who needs to know this.
I'm surprised the OP didn't end with something about how teachers are overpaid, or only work 3 weeks per year, or any of the other usual nonsense.

I'm surprised the OP didn't end with something about how teachers are overpaid, or only work 3 weeks per year, or any of the other usual nonsense.

"we went round and round until momma stepped in". Again, I'm sure this mother, who might well be overwhelmed with this, REALLY appreciated the absolute nitpicking on such a tiny point.

But yes, this will be next--complaining about teaching. Get in here then gramps and you can holler at kids all day long about homophones and homonyms. They'll love it.

All good. An empowering moment for the kids. A teachable moment for all. Putting Grandpa and Grandma in their place.. :spinner:

Certainly no child can succeed in life if they mix up the words homophone and homonym. Because honestly, that's huge working knowledge in the real word.

No child can succeed in life. This is exactly what I am talking about. You are clueless. I say again, as a child that went to school in the late 50s and sixties I had never heard of this word homophone, and no it was not a one room schoolhouse. If you all would listen to yourselves you sound like grammar nazis. How about this? When was the last time you heard the word homophone? Case closed.

No child can succeed in life. This is exactly what I am talking about. You are clueless. I say again, as a child that went to school in the late 50s and sixties I had never heard of this word homophone, and no it was not a one room schoolhouse. If you all would listen to yourselves you sound like grammar nazis. How about this? When was the last time you heard the word homophone? Case closed.
Stop being so insecure about your limited language skills.

You know when you look at this from afar it is amazing to see how many people are so rigid on this issue. No one has commented on the idea that education has become unnecessarily complicated, they go to defending the status quo and then preemptively claim you are going to attack teachers next. Of course the usual personal insults are sprinkled in, but that is the norm on this board, but the fact that no one addresses the thrust of the op is very illuminating. Not one person seems concerned about making the educational system better or improving the educational experience of our children. There are powerful forces at work to suppress any suggestion of change.

as an aside, I recently spoke with a person my age, told him the story, and miraculously he had never heard the term homophone either. How the hell did we ever succeed in life?

Maybe you didn't? Not once have you entertained that possibility in this thread! :stir:

You know when you look at this from afar it is amazing to see how many people are so rigid on this issue. No one has commented on the idea that education has become unnecessarily complicated, they go to defending the status quo and then preemptively claim you are going to attack teachers next. Of course the usual personal insults are sprinkled in, but that is the norm on this board, but the fact that no one addresses the thrust of the op is very illuminating. Not one person seems concerned about making the educational system better or improving the educational experience of our children. There are powerful forces at work to suppress any suggestion of change.

as an aside, I recently spoke with a person my age, told him the story, and miraculously he had never heard the term homophone either. How the hell did we ever succeed in life?
You really are embarrassed about your limited vocabulary, huh? There are lots of resources available to help you improve.

This is my point. Exactly. So why didn't YOU let it go? The tell is in the story "Until mom had to step in".

Forum List

Back