Miller's Crossing (Amazon Prime)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I love the Coen brothers' movies. I can't think of a bad one in the bunch.

Miller's Crossing is a depression-era gangland movie. The top boss is holding the city in his Irish paws, but his grip is starting to slip. His right hand man, Tom (Gabriel Byrne), is trying to hold everything together while his boss is making tactical mistakes. A gangland war breaks out between the Irish mob and the Italian mob, and Tom is playing both sides against the middle, always on the razor's edge, as he gets cracked in the mouth every five minutes. All while trying to come up with the cash to pay his gambling debts.

Of course there's a wisecracking moll (Marcia Gay Harden) mixing it up in the middle of it all.

This is a great script. You would have a hard time finding one better.

The best line goes to the girl: "I suppose you think you raised hell."

She delivers it flawlessly.

I always thought of watching that but still never have. Maybe I'll finally get around to this after your review, is there a rental fee like most Amazon movies?

Definitely in the top 10 "gangster movies" of all time. Though, not in the typical style of one.
There is no glory here, there is only bad behavior. There are no heroes, no one wears a white hat, some are worse than others... but everyone is a bad person. No one is cool, no one you would want to look up to. Betrayal, revenge, scheming to get something that isn't yours is the story. Which is a LOT more true than your typical mob film.
Not to be missed.

I always thought of watching that but still never have. Maybe I'll finally get around to this after your review, is there a rental fee like most Amazon movies?
If you have an Amazon Prime membership, the movie is free.

Forum List

Back