Maureen O'Hara - RIP

I must admit I was shocked to see she was still alive !

Always loved her in all those John Wayne films. She played his wife so many times, at one point I thought they must be married in real life !

Only 5 times, but the interplay between them was awesome.

She had a good run, R.I.P...
quietman2.jpg

I must admit I was shocked to see she was still alive !

Always loved her in all those John Wayne films. She played his wife so many times, at one point I thought they must be married in real life !

Only 5 times, but the interplay between them was awesome.

Five times, Wow !
That's got to be a Hollywood record !

For what?

an actor and actress portraying husband and wife?
That is pretty impressive. I can't think of any other two actors beating this.

Thin Man series.

Myrna Loy, William Powell

6 movies, based on the same characters

I think my favorite Maureen movie is "The Parent Trap". There are better movies featuring her, but this one is adorable.

Thin Man series.

Myrna Loy, William Powell

6 movies, based on the same characters
Ok, let me rephrase that. There's no other set of actors in non sequel movies that can match it.

William and Myrna were in 14 movies together, only 5 of them under the label of The Thin Man
IMDb: Most Popular Videos/TV Episodes/Feature Films/Short Films/Documentaries/Video Games/Mini-Series/TV Movies/TV Specials With Myrna Loy And William Powell

quietman2.jpg

Actually, I remember seeing "The Quiet Man". If you recall, at the end of the film he smacked her across the head and down to the ground she went. Can you imagine any film with a hero getting away with that now?

"""In “The Quiet Man,” Wayne tames the fiery O’Hara. As he drags his obdurate bride across a field to fling her at the feet of her obnoxious brother, a woman hands him a branch, saying, “Sir, here’s a good stick to beat the lovely lady.” It’s the most controversial line in the movie."""
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/cowboys-and-colleens.html?_r=0

"They'll be no locks or bolts between us Mary Kate, only those in your mercenary little heart"...Duke Wayne to Maureen O'Hara in the "Quiet Man" 1952.

quietman2.jpg

Actually, I remember seeing "The Quiet Man". If you recall, at the end of the film he smacked her across the head and down to the ground she went. Can you imagine any film with a hero getting away with that now?

"""In “The Quiet Man,” Wayne tames the fiery O’Hara. As he drags his obdurate bride across a field to fling her at the feet of her obnoxious brother, a woman hands him a branch, saying, “Sir, here’s a good stick to beat the lovely lady.” It’s the most controversial line in the movie."""

You SAW The Quiet Man? It was was released in 1952. You must be geriatric.

quietman2.jpg

You SAW The Quiet Man? It was was released in 1952. You must be geriatric.

No, I have TMC on cable.

I bet the Duke made about 25 times what she got paid for that film.
Even Katharine Hepburn understood that bullshit.
Bruce Dern (in an interview with Rolling Stone for "Nebraska") said that John Wayne was usually sloshed by 8:30 in the morning, too. But maybe he wasn't an alcoholic back then.

Edited to add: Dern also said that in one of his last films, he played the guy who shot and killed Wayne in "The Cowboys" and Wayne warned him that his career would be over if he shot that scene. Nobody kills The Duke. He was right. Dern never got a decent roll after that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back