Marty Shottenheimer, long time NFL coach, dies at 77

One of the better, or maybe best HC, to never win a Super Bowl. Cleveland had a couple of devastating losses to Denver in the AFC Championship game.

I remember him well in KC. And I remember him coaching in Cleveland and San Diego. His teams always were tough and hard nosed.
I remember reading about him when he was an All-American tackle at my alma mater, the University of Pittsburgh. Damned good football player and a great coach.

One of the best ever...he really won it all!

he won everywhere he went: NY, KC, Cleveland

when he arrived at Kansas City, the Chiefs had not won a playoff game since Superbowl 4!

folks feared playing at Arrowhead Stadium in his era. he was 62-18 at home!

Last edited:
only 5 coaches in history have won more games than Marty, who won 200+ regular season games!

in his first season at the Chargers, Marty was 4-12

the GM maintained confidence in him and the next season was a complete reversal: 12-4...Marty was named Coach Of The Season that Season

I got to know him a bit when he was with the Chargers. I never photographed a game, but I was always welcome at their training facility in Mission Valley. He was always very accommodating.

RIP, Schott...

Marty was notorious in that he couldn't take a compliment. he hated being praised. like Steve Bannon, who'd rather have people hate him than like him. i suppose Marty just wanted folks to be neutral

Etz5h9eXcAEn64p

Etz5h96XMAEi8_I

Etz5h-VXEAAzUgN

Marty's defenses were notoriously tough and stingy

if i was a head coach, i would be all about offense and showing off!

did you know?

Marty coined the phrase "one play at a time" in October 26, 1969, when he was a player

if you google that phrase, you get 2million+ results!

at Arrowhead during the Marty era, the place was so loud you couldn't hear the person standing next to you. players had to read each other's lips

one famous home game, the Chiefs beat the undefeated Bills 33-6

the Derrick Thomas scene is bone chilling. one of the greatest sports moments of all time!

Marty's Chiefs would have won numerous Superbowls if they had just an above average QB. they had a dominant defense which suffocated opponents

Forum List

Back