Man fights back, fatally shoots would-be robber near USC, police say

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
A man allegedly confronted at gunpoint by three robbers near USC fought back, shooting and killing one of them early Saturday, police said.

The three armed men, all in their 20s, got out of a vehicle in the 1300 block of West 35th Street, west of USC, and approached the other man and attempted to rob him, said Los Angeles Police Department spokesperson Norma Eisenman.

But the man resisted and an altercation ensued. When one of the would-be robbers dropped his handgun, the man picked it up and shot him, police said.

The other two alleged robbers fled in their car. The man who was shot was pronounced dead at the scene, Eisenman said. He was not identified.

The intended hold-up victim was detained and questioned by police and later released. Eisenman didn’t have a description of the other two men or their vehicle.

No charges have been filed and an investigation is ongoing.

Did they pick the wrong guy to rob?

I wonder if they let him keep the gun?

The story is unclear, how did they find the shooter- the would-be victim who turned the tables on the thiefs?

Were there other people around at the time?

I know if was me, i'd try to skedaddle before the LAPD arrived, knowing how pro-criminal the DA is in Los Angeles.

The other two alleged robbers fled in their car. The man who was shot was pronounced dead at the scene, Eisenman said. He was not identified.

The intended hold-up victim was detained and questioned by police and later released. Eisenman didn’t have a description of the other two men or their vehicle.

There's the LAPD and the LA Times doing their real job.

The story is unclear, how did they find the shooter- the would-be victim who turned the tables on the thiefs?

Were there other people around at the time?

I know if was me, i'd try to skedaddle before the LAPD arrived, knowing how pro-criminal the DA is in Los Angeles.

He might've called the cops. It's what I would do. Beats being a fugitive.

Or worse, the police capture the crooks and the crooks give the cop their side of the story.

He might've called the cops. It's what I would do. Beats being a fugitive.

Or worse, the police capture the crooks and the crooks give the cop their side of the story.

The crooks might well still get pinched, and give their side of the story.

And he wouldn't have been a "fugitive" at all, since the shooting was justified.

The crooks might well still get pinched, and give their side of the story.

And he wouldn't have been a "fugitive" at all, since the shooting was justified.

It matters who gives their story first.

I think leaving the scene of a shooting resulting in death would get you charged with something, but I really don't know.

And yes, I would like to know more details.

That entire area around USC is dangerous at night or in the day...people are being robbed just trying to go to school or see a football game....

Indeed, each year in USA there are 200 to 300 justifiable homicides.

Each year in USA there are over 10,000 gun homicides and 20,000 gun suicides.

It's funny, SC is one of the most expensive schools in the country and is smack in the middle of one of the worst neighborhoods.

Other universities are like that as well....University of Chicago....cross Roosevelt road and you take your life in your hands....dittos the campus at University of Illinois at Chicago after dark.........

Forum List

Back