Lightbulb STILL burning 112 years later:

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department

A frame from the Livermore-Pleasanton Dire Department's bulbcam shows the oldest lightbulb in the world, still glowing after all these years. It may not glow brightly, but it sure glows consistently.

A light bulb hanging in the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department has been burning steadily for exactly 112 years, according the Centennial Bulb website. Since the "Centennial Bulb" was first turned on, the stock market crashed and was reborn, the nuclear age began, two World Wars were fought, cars and planes were developed, a Kenyan was elected US president… and through it all the bulb kept burning.

How exactly it stays lit remains something of a mystery, Lynn Owens, who is in charge of the light bulb centennial committee, told Time magazine.

"Nobody knows how it's possible. It's a 60-watt bulb and it's only turned on for about four watts, but nobody knows why it keeps burning ... We've had scientists from all over the country look at this light bulb," Owens said.

On June 18, the bulb celebrates its 110th year of illumination -- a fact documented extensively by Guinness World Records. But even beyond its staggering powers of endurance, it's hardly an ordinary bulb.

According to the bulb's website (it's probably the only light bulb in the world to boast one) the "Shelby Bulb" was donated by Dennis Bernal to the Livermore Volunteer Fire Department , and is actually a somewhat different style bulb invented by Adolphe A. Chaillet and made by the Shelby Electric Company.

In the Shelby bulb, a coiled filament and funky design burn brighter and last longer than the Edison bulb -- as evidenced by Livermore "centennial" bulb.

Just see for yourself: The bulb's website features a "bulbcam" where you can watch it silently glowing away.

Sure, it's not as interesting as the paint-drying webcam or the grass-growing cam. But it confirms that, like the Energizer bunny, that bulb just keeps on glowing.

In a 2010 interview with the Daily Mail, bulb protector Steve Bunn ascribed the light's success to good old fashioned engineering.

"They certainly don't make them like this anymore, it's a real sign of how some things were better made in the past," he said.

LIVE CAMERA UPDATE EVERY 30 SECONDS...SEE FOR YOURSELF. :)

Livermore's Centennial Light Live Cam

[...]

How exactly it stays lit remains something of a mystery, Lynn Owens, who is in charge of the light bulb centennial committee, told Time magazine.

"Nobody knows how it's possible. It's a 60-watt bulb and it's only turned on for about four watts, but nobody knows why it keeps burning ... We've had scientists from all over the country look at this light bulb," Owens said.

[...]
I can't believe this supposed consternation! By scientists, yet!

The reason is plainly stated and obvious to anyone with basic knowledge of electricity. The bulb has a filament rated at 60w but only 4w are applied to it. That can go on almost forever. Hit it with a 60w (or greater) current and it will burn out in due time.

I have bulbs burning in my house for years -- at least more than seven or eight. The reason is they are 100w bulbs which are dimmed down to about 40w or less. I've had bulbs last more than ten years because I use dimmers wherever possible.

Dimmer switches pay for themselves in the long run.

• Banned
[...]

[...]

The reason is plainly stated and obvious to anyone with basic knowledge of electricity. The bulb has a filament rated at 60w but only 4w are applied to it. That can go on almost forever. Hit it with a 60w (or greater) current and it will burn out in due time.

I have bulbs burning in my house for years -- at least more than seven or eight. The reason is they are 100w bulbs which are dimmed down to about 40w or less. I've had bulbs last more than ten years because I use dimmers wherever possible.

Okay, but ya gotta admit this old bulb is still better after 112 years than the Barry-Bulb which is full of mercury, if dropped you have to turn off your furnace or AC, run out the door and not return for 12 hours......after which you'll wear a dust-mask, rubber gloves and booties, and send the shards to a toxic dump site. Did I mention they cost 20 times more than the bulbs we've been using for a hundred years?

Last edited:
Okay, but ya gotta admit this old bulb is still better after 112 years than the Barry-Bulb which is full of mercury, if dropped you have to turn off your furnace or AC, run out the door and not return for 12 hours......after which you'll wear a dust-mask, rubber gloves and booties, and send the shards to a toxic dump site. Did I mention they cost 20 times more than the bulbs we've been using for a hundred years?

Bush signed the legislation to phase out incandescent bulbs, NOT Obama. Also, the dangers of the mercury contained in the are not as dire as you make them out to be.

snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs

• Banned

Bush signed the legislation to phase out incandescent bulbs, NOT Obama. Also, the dangers of the mercury contained in the are not as dire as you make them out to be.

snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs

Bush may have signed it in 2007 but it sure wasn't a GOP idea...in fact it was a Pelosi-Reid stunt hidden under EPA lies in the golden era of fake gorebal warming. Bush had to give the Rats whatever they wanted to keep our effort in Iraq funded. Your link from Snopes (a leftist bodyguard site) verifies everything I said about the dangers of the mercury in the new bulbs. Who is going to open a window and turn off the furnace or AC and run outside when it's 95 degrees or 25 degrees out there? You can't even keep the broom and dustpan after you clean up the shards wearing your protective clothing....and for WHAT? So GE could move the last of it's lightbulb manufacturing to China?

In 2011, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas and 14 other Republicans joined to introduce the Better Use of Light Bulbs Act or BULB Act (H.R. 91), which would have repealed Subtitle B of Title III of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Barton was opposed to regulation, while Rep. Michael Burgess pointed to jobs purportedly lost to China and voiced a fear of mercury problems resulting from CFL use.[55] On 12 July 2011, H.R. 2417 failed to pass by the required two-thirds[clarification needed] majority in the U.S. House.[56]

Last edited:
[...]

[...]

Shit I broke one of those new curly light bulbs on the basement floor a couple of weeks ago. I didn't put on a hazmat suit I just picked the bigger pieces up with my bare hands and swept the rest up and tossed it in the trash.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKI7ArSvlY]MUSIC REMIX: Ain't Nobody Got Time For That - YouTube[/ame]

Jeeeez ... That light bulb is smarter than any potter on this board.

Thank you to Mike for the SCIENTIFIC explanation but don't expect certain posters to understand it.

Forum List

Back