Lepidoptera Lovers: Butterfly Kisses

Doesn't seem to be the yellow-bodied Elephant Hawk,
Deilephila elpenor, but it sure looks close.--this one could be from the UK.
5b7f24145dcdcee46f17426b625cd577.jpg

Rosy Maple Moth
OIP.ZGu2tsMY79ZQOcTygAs1DwHaE7

upload_2020-1-4_21-56-51.jpeg

Tussore Silk moth, Antheraea mylitta
Tussore+Silk+moth.JPG

upload_2020-1-4_21-59-17.jpeg

Deuschland maybe. vv
10820_3_s.jpg

The morphos like to suck on these weeds. Oncidium Kramerianum. they named it something different now...Fuckem. I planted the seed in 1997. Its O. Kramerianum

kramerianum.jpg

Yesterday, when I was mowing the driveway between two fields out front, I saw this angelic butterfly, and was it ever actively flitting about! It was so fine it reminded me of lace.

And today, when I was planting a flower garden near the doggie run, I saw a pitch black tiny butterfly (about 1.65 inches) pause around newly planted flowers as if he approved. It was smooth like a 65 jaguar. Very nice.

I'm not sure the white was a sulphur, but it had no other color but white on it. Below is a similar butterfly, except the white one I saw had no other color but pure and flawless white all over it.
1588480063926.png

Butterflies and moths are like the beautiful flowers of the Animal Kingdom. This thread is for sharing photos, facts, and inspirational sightings of any member of the Lepidoptera family.

I'll start with a specie in my favorite color: Lysandra bellargus. (Adonis Blue)

In the book, A World of Butterflies, text by Brian Cassie, 2004, Chanticleer Press, p. 60. it says: "The Adonis Blue is one of many species of blues that is closely attended by ants during its larval stage. The ants feed on sweet secretions from the larvae's honeydew glands and they provide the immature insects with a measure of protection from predators. Adonis Blue caterpillars, which feed openly during the day, are almost always found in the company of ants. At times the ants even protect them at night by covering them over with a layer of soil."

I have the book in my private library at home. It's a small hardcover that has full-page sized butterfly photographs by photographer Kjell Sandved.

Not a butterfly but awesome nonetheless.

Actias luna

The luna moth is though, Lepidoptera, and aren't they fabulous? My first sighting was at the age of 14 in the town of Bruni, TX, east of Laredo. I also saw one in 1970 at Casper, Wyoming. Those beautiful creatures have a real range.

Had one in my house once. Felt like a bird in my hands! It went back out and flew off.

New Topics

Forum List

Back