Lawmakers and the Debt

That was just Trump talking outta his ass which he always does.

Trump has helped to increase the debt at a higher rate per time than any other POTUS.

Trump is just as swampy as any other swamp critter in DC; actually worse.

Always remember what Trump told his "donors' says after he passed his tax scam...

"I just made you guys a LOT of money".......

Sure he did.......he increased the debt by $1.6 TRILLION to finance his tax scam AND has done NOTHING to decrease the deficit........

Only cultists still believe this clown.

WTF, you expect him to fix Obama's legacy?

Oh, what; like G W Bush fvcked off Clinton's fiscal legacy?

No, Clinton fucked his own legacy.

Above, why Trump......in a moment of candor, said this

Donald Trump loves the 'poorly educated' —

Donald Trump declares 'I love the poorly educated' as he storms to ...

“I love the poorly educated”—Read Donald Trump's full Nevada victory ...

Gee, I was under the impression we were talking about Clinton/Bush/Obama.

Trump has helped to increase the debt at a higher rate per time than any other POTUS.

Always remember what Trump told his "donors' says after he passed his tax scam...

Sure he did.......he increased the debt by $1.6 TRILLION to finance his tax scam AND has done NOTHING to decrease the deficit........

well, you are obviously a neophyte when it comes to fiscal policy & your reading comprehension sucks too.

I said, "Clinton's fiscal legacy."

The budget was in surplus from fiscal years 1998-2001, the only such years between 1970 and 2016.
The debt to GDP ratio also improved.
That is Clinton's fiscal legacy.
G W Bush fvcked that ALL in the ass.

Try & keep up next time.

Above, why Trump......in a moment of candor, said this

Donald Trump loves the 'poorly educated' —

Donald Trump declares 'I love the poorly educated' as he storms to ...

“I love the poorly educated”—Read Donald Trump's full Nevada victory ...

Maybe he meant "i dont look down my nose at rednecks, white socks and blue ribbon beer" like $22T Chancy does.

well, you are obviously a neophyte when it comes to fiscal policy & your reading comprehension sucks too.

The budget was in surplus from fiscal years 1998-2001, the only such years between 1970 and 2016.

Try & keep up next time.

And my point was the only legacy Clinton has was wearing a blue dress.

Try & keep up next time.

Not to nitpick but federal debt still rose every year you mention. Of course i refuse to link those facts.

Try & keep up next time.

And my point was the only legacy Clinton has was wearing a blue dress.

No, Clinton had a great fiscal legacy.

All you are doing is derailing the thread with your fvcking bullshit drivel.

Try & keep up next time.

Not to nitpick but federal debt still rose every year you mention. Of course i refuse to link those facts.

Open your eyes, as this was included in my post.

"The debt to GDP ratio also improved."

Go buy yourself some goddamn new glasses.

Democrats and Republicans will spend, that is a given, the whole idea that one spends it slower than the other is a stupid argument. The Republicans want to lower taxes and increase spending which is dumb, the Democrats want to increase spending and increase taxes which is also dumb.

The goal right now needs to be pay down debt, decrease spending, temporarily raise taxes. This would be a tough pill for any Democrat or Republican to swallow even though it is fiscally sound.

Voters on both sides are alarmed about the runaway debt, however our representatives still spend hand over fist. The shutdown made me wonder what a president could do about it. Either you sign a horrible bloated bill, or a shutdown occurs and then you are still forced to sign a horrible bill. Every time it comes for a new budget, it seems like lawmakers slap together something horrible at the last minute. Lawmakers don't even know what is in the awful thing when it is voted on. Why does this keep happening? This isn't a Democrat vs Republican thing. This is a branch of government failing. Lindsey Graham was asked about the horrible spending in the last bill, and he basically shook his head and gave an odd comment on appropriators. He said appropriators aren't like you or me, and that they spend on ridiculous things. To be honest, I don't know anything about appropriators, and I though the entire Congress was responsible for budgetary issues. This is all pretty messed up. The people we vote for never represent people in either party on their bone headed spending. We can't vote them out, because they all do it, and we can't force them into a balanced budget amendment. I have even heard that lawmakers on either side don't care about the debt, which seems obvious. I don't know what their argument is. Had to vent folks, this bothers me.

What can be done is vote in lawmakers on both sides that care about it.

But instead the majority of votes are based upon social issues and not fiscal ones.

So the question is...how bad is the debt problem really?

Dems have always said it is a "concern" but one we can deal with.

Republicans swing from SCREAMING about it as if it's the end of the world...to spending and adding to the debt like drunken sailors (if it means tax cuts for the rich or spending they happen to like)

I'm not going to argue with you. Republican lawmakers do act like they care, and then they go on spending sprees.

Here's yet another Trump "promise" on the deficit, made in early 2016

"It can be done. ... It will take place and it will go relatively quickly. ... If you have the right people, like, in the agencies and the various people that do the balancing ... you can cut the numbers by two pennies and three pennies and balance a budget quickly and have a stronger and better country."

I don't think it matters who is the president. Democrat or Republican, they will be forced to sign whatever crap congress comes up with. I'd still like to know what appropriators are. Does the entire congress get their hands dirty, or is it a committee?

Democrats and Republicans will spend, that is a given, the whole idea that one spends it slower than the other is a stupid argument. The Republicans want to lower taxes and increase spending which is dumb, the Democrats want to increase spending and increase taxes which is also dumb.

The goal right now needs to be pay down debt, decrease spending, temporarily raise taxes. This would be a tough pill for any Democrat or Republican to swallow even though it is fiscally sound.

I'm guessing austerity wouldn't be a winning issue at the polls. I guess that is why politicians keep handing out perks for votes.

Voters on both sides are alarmed about the runaway debt, however our representatives still spend hand over fist. The shutdown made me wonder what a president could do about it. Either you sign a horrible bloated bill, or a shutdown occurs and then you are still forced to sign a horrible bill. Every time it comes for a new budget, it seems like lawmakers slap together something horrible at the last minute. Lawmakers don't even know what is in the awful thing when it is voted on. Why does this keep happening? This isn't a Democrat vs Republican thing. This is a branch of government failing. Lindsey Graham was asked about the horrible spending in the last bill, and he basically shook his head and gave an odd comment on appropriators. He said appropriators aren't like you or me, and that they spend on ridiculous things. To be honest, I don't know anything about appropriators, and I though the entire Congress was responsible for budgetary issues. This is all pretty messed up. The people we vote for never represent people in either party on their bone headed spending. We can't vote them out, because they all do it, and we can't force them into a balanced budget amendment. I have even heard that lawmakers on either side don't care about the debt, which seems obvious. I don't know what their argument is. Had to vent folks, this bothers me.

What can be done is vote in lawmakers on both sides that care about it.

But instead the majority of votes are based upon social issues and not fiscal ones.

I'm not sure there is a congress critter that cares. If you run for office, you don't win unless you give out the goodies. I'm not sure how you can fight it.

It's neither the role nor responsibly of a president to do anything about it.

And the GOP's bread and circuses dogma of governance clearly won't work; tax cuts only cause the debt to increase.

It has become clear to me a president can't do much about it. Playing with tax rates one way or another won't do anything either. The cash will keep on flowing way past whatever is brought in.

Forum List

Back