Labor Leaders Fear Trump May Draw Large Numbers of Union Voters

Of all the voters who might be expected to resist the charms of Donald J. Trump, the two million members of the Service Employees International Union would most likely be near the top of the list.

But the union’s president, Mary Kay Henry, acknowledged that Mr. Trump holds appeal even for some of her members. “There is deep economic anxiety among our members and the people we’re trying to organize that I believe Donald Trump’s message is tapping into,” Ms. Henry said.

In expressing her concern, Ms. Henry reflected a different form of anxiety that is weighing on some union leaders and Democratic operatives: their fear that Mr. Trump, if not effectively countered, may draw an unusually large number of union voters in a possible general election matchup. This could, in turn, give Republicans a boost in swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, all of which Mr. Obama won twice
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/business/donald-trump-unions.html

This is a bitter pill for the Democrats and Union leaders. Trump resonates with people because he says what people are thinking.

He's saying what undereducated, uninformed and angry people are thinking.
No that's what YOU are thinking. That's not fact. Well except for the angry part...anger is a great thing to have...get angry or continue getting walked on.

:lol:

No, it's a fact. Demographically, Trump supporters tend to have little if any post-high school education and consistently low scores on civic engagement and political knowledge.
Tell me something, do those machines count smarts or votes?

Of all the voters who might be expected to resist the charms of Donald J. Trump, the two million members of the Service Employees International Union would most likely be near the top of the list.

But the union’s president, Mary Kay Henry, acknowledged that Mr. Trump holds appeal even for some of her members. “There is deep economic anxiety among our members and the people we’re trying to organize that I believe Donald Trump’s message is tapping into,” Ms. Henry said.

In expressing her concern, Ms. Henry reflected a different form of anxiety that is weighing on some union leaders and Democratic operatives: their fear that Mr. Trump, if not effectively countered, may draw an unusually large number of union voters in a possible general election matchup. This could, in turn, give Republicans a boost in swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, all of which Mr. Obama won twice

This is a bitter pill for the Democrats and Union leaders. Trump resonates with people because he says what people are thinking.

No that's what YOU are thinking. That's not fact. Well except for the angry part...anger is a great thing to have...get angry or continue getting walked on.

No, it's a fact. Demographically, Trump supporters tend to have little if any post-high school education and consistently low scores on civic engagement and political knowledge.
Sure sure. Let me guess this comes from the oh so neutral media you liberals love to quote? Funny how I and my folks don't ft into ANY of those categories yet still support Trump. This silliness happens every 4 years when the best candidate and his supporters are attacked by the 2nd tier and their supporters and allies in the media.
Funny how democrats bring up education. Here we have Trump educated at one of the finest schools in America VS Hillary who slept her way to the top and even FAILED at that several times.

Sure sure. Let me guess this comes from the oh so neutral media you liberals love to quote? Funny how I and my folks don't ft into ANY of those categories yet still support Trump. This silliness happens every 4 years when the best candidate and his supporters are attacked by the 2nd tier and their supporters and allies in the media.

Your posts here make it pretty damn clear that you fit squarely into at least two of those categories, if not all three.

Funny how democrats bring up education. Here we have Trump educated at one of the finest schools in America VS Hillary who slept her way to the top and even FAILED at that several times.

So you're saying that a BS from Wharton is somehow better than a BA from Wellesley and a JD from Yale Law?

Your posts here make it pretty damn clear that you fit squarely into at least two of those categories, if not all three.
You only make an ASS out of yourself when you ASSume things.

If it winds up a Trump/Sanders general there will be more butt hurt here by liberals and Rino's then a gay whore house next to the DNC convention.

If the general ends up being Sanders and Trump, the "liberals" will be happier than a pig in shit.
Sanders would split your party deeply and more important forever.

Sanders would beat Trump in a bigger blowout than 1984.
Sanders would be the new Humphrey.

So you're saying that a BS from Wharton is somehow better than a BA from Wellesley and a JD from Yale Law?
When it comes to the economy yup.

Trump is a protectionist in the style of Ross Perot, Pat Buchanan, Ralph Nader...

...it's hilarious to see all the conservatives suddenly pretend that free trade sucks.

:lol::lol:

A Bachelor's in Economics does not an economist make.

I haven't assumed anything, I've observed.

If it winds up a Trump/Sanders general there will be more butt hurt here by liberals and Rino's then a gay whore house next to the DNC convention.

If the general ends up being Sanders and Trump, the "liberals" will be happier than a pig in shit.
Sanders would split your party deeply and more important forever.

Sanders would beat Trump in a bigger blowout than 1984.
Sanders would be the new Humphrey.

I'd love to hear how you've come up with that.

Well YOUR idea of a "REAL" economist got us INTO this mess.
Time to try another.

Well YOUR idea of a "REAL" economist got us INTO this mess.
Time to try another.

Who are you referring to, when you attempt to tell me what "my idea" of an economist is?

How does a liberal "observe" anything when their heads are stuck where its dark and smells bad?

How does a liberal "observe" anything when their heads are stuck where its dark and smells bad?

Grow up, clown. This isn't kindergarten, no one is impressed by your "wit".

That makes it your OPINION...everyone has one and they all smell like shit. So.

That makes it your OPINION...everyone has one and they all smell like shit. So.

Of course it's "my opinion". That doesn't make it wrong.

Grow up, clown. This isn't kindergarten, no one is impressed by your "wit".
Ratings are like polls. You have yours and I have mine. I like mine better. As far as the name calling? Oh well I can take it.

Forum List

Back