LA NAACP President Announces Resignation After Plan to Honor Sterling

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
LA NAACP President Announces Resignation After Plan to Honor Sterling

The president of the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP resigned Thursday, following scrutiny of his plan to give Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling an award for promoting civil rights.

Leon Jenkins was to present Sterling with a "lifetime achievement award" later this month. Jenkins rescinded that offer Monday after a recording surfaced over the weekend on which Sterling disparaged black men.

In a letter to the national leader of the nation's oldest civil rights organization, Jenkins wrote, "In order to separate the Los Angeles NAACP and the NAACP from the negative exposure I have caused the NAACP, I respectfully resign my position as President of the Los Angeles NAACP."

In a statement accompanying the resignation announcement, the national NAACP said it is "developing guidelines for its branches to help them in their award selection process."

LA NAACP Head Resigns Over Move to Honor Sterling - ABC News

How would he have known what his mistress was going to release to the media? Is this the same guy who awarded Sterling's first award from the NAACP?

The honorable thing to do. Shows integrity on the part of Jenkins.

The NAACP learned from the Negro Leagues that integration and desegregation are bad for business. They should be ecstatic over Larry Johnson's suggestion to create a negro basketball league.
Obama really has done a lot to extinguish any racial divide, eh?

The NAACP learned from the Negro Leagues that integration and desegregation are bad for business. They should be ecstatic over Larry Johnson's suggestion to create a negro basketball league.
Obama really has done a lot to extinguish any racial divide, eh?

Except he never said a negro league. He said a league with all black owners.

Obama really has done a lot to extinguish any racial divuide, eh?

Like that is supposed to be any less racist? Bigots deluxe.

How did you type that with all that jizz on your keyboard?

Blacks can have all the teams they can afford. His intent was to exclude whites from ownership. I agree with that. It's a good idea. As long as whites can have a league that can exclude blacks too.

I'd expect The NAACP to be demanding the seized team (effectively seized) be handed over, gratis, to a black owner.

Now don't get all excited, Barry.....100% black only need apply.

Are you saying the NBA is racist?

Explain again slowly what right the league has to fine an owner for a personal opinion and then force said owner to sell?

He signed a contract as a franchise owner.

What an interesting contract that would be to read.

I tried Google, but I can't seem to find it.

I've scoured the internet trying to find this very thing but haven't found a thing. Maybe Asclepias can point us in the right direction...

Forum List

Back