Keeping track of changing prices

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I live in the DFW, Tx metro area. Here's some prices changes in the past 6 months --

Ground beef went from $5.00 per pound to $7.00 per pound.
"Fresh" chicken went from $2.00 per pound to $8.00 per pound (at the cheapest).
"Fresh" turkey meats (ground, patties, sausages) -- store brand has not changed price since Trump administration. Brand name brand has gone up from $4.00 per pound to $6.00 per pound.

Brand name bread has gone up $0.75 per loaf (previous prices ranging from $3.00 per loaf to $5.00), store brand has gone from $2.00 a loaf to $3.00.

Brand name pasta sauce has gone up from $3.00 per jar (ex: Ragu, Prego) to $5.00.

Potato chips and beef jerky have gone up about $0.50 to $0.75 per standard sized bag. Previous prices ranging from $3.00 per standard bag to $5.00 for potato chips/other chips, and from $3.00 per standard bag for jerky to $6.00 (at the highest), with average being $5.00.

Apples have gone up about $.50 per pound, previously averaging around $1.50 per pound to $3.00 per pound.

Avocados went from $.075 each to $3.00 each.

Bananas, grapes, and berries haven't really changed in price since Trump admin. Most averaging about $1.50 to $2.00 per pound. Bananas usually run on special all the time though, at about $0.55 to $0.65 cents per pound.

Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, squash, cucumber, lettuce, and cabbage have only gone up a few cents.....less than $0.10 per pound. Average combined price per pound about $0.40 to $1.00.

Boxed cereal was so cheap in 2020 and the first half of 2021, most stores here were selling three big family sized boxes of brand name cereals for $5.00. Now, one standard sized box of brand name cereal is about $5.00.

Milk.....at least the milk I buy........has not changed price in the past 3 years.

Butter and margarines have gone up $1.00 per pound. Previous prices were about $1.75 to $3.00 per 4 stick box or one small margarine container. Now, 4 sticks of butter in a box are over $3.00, and the margarine I buy is just about at $4.00 for a small container.

Yogurts, puddings, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc...... no price changes since Trump admin.
Same for fruit juices.

Toilet paper/paper towels have gone from around $7.00 per 4 pack to around $12.00 per 4 pack now.

Frozen dinners, frozen pizzas, frozen veggies, frozen fruits, ice cream, frozen french fries.......no noticable price changes since Trump admin.

Frozen "mexican" foods (burritos, taquitos, etc...) have almost doubled in price for some reason, as the other frozen foods have not. Previous price of bag of frozen brand name burritos was $6.00. Now it is $10.00 - 14.00 per bag, depending on the "flavor".

The Dollar Tree raised prices from $1.00 for their dollar goods to $1.25.

If you know what Big Lots is, their prices haven't changed on anything since the Trump admin.

--------------------------------------------

If you shop at a grocery store with it's own bakery, try buying their breads/rolls. I find their loaves are bigger and are priced less than the manufactured loaves. Some may be the same price as the big brands, but they are bigger in size.

The snows must be a melting, and the truckers are going back to work. I went to the grocery store today and I went to the dollar store today, and EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING was stocked FULL!!! There was not a bare shelf to be seen anywhere in either store!! So if you are in an area still experiencing "Biden Shelve Syndrome"......give it a bit of time. The trucks are finally making it out again!
Their warehouses are full of product, it's just taking some time to get it to all the stores.

I just noticed my damn hostess cupcakes are $5 bucks a box and used to be $3.50

The Dollar Tree I shop at has all those brand name snack cakes/pies/cookies for $1.25 each.
The cupcakes are 2 packs, but they have all the nice flavors........butter, orange, and chocolate.
They also sell TastyKakes too. I prefer them as the companies that bought out Hostess changed the recipes and nothing tastes or feels like it did before they sold out.

The Dollar Tree I shop at has all those brand name snack cakes/pies/cookies for $1.25 each.
The cupcakes are 2 packs, but they have all the nice flavors........butter, orange, and chocolate.
They also sell TastyKakes too. I prefer them as the companies that bought out Hostess changed the recipes and nothing tastes or feels like it did before they sold out.
I am glad I am not the only one who says Twinkies taste different

I am glad I am not the only one who says Twinkies taste different

As far as I've heard, different baking companies bought the different Hostess recipes.
They are still billed as "Hostess" products, but actually made by different companies.
One company makes Twinkies, another company makes Ding Dongs, another company makes cupcakes, and so on.

I lived on Ding Dongs pretty much my whole life, when I could find them on the store shelf!!!
But when they sold out and whatever company bought the recipe, I stopped buying them, because they aren't the same Ding Dong's. These new Ding Dong's taste greasy, dry, and old, all at the same time. There's literally NO filling, barely a little white dot of it, and the chocolate icing tastes like waxy mud.

Forum List

Back