Jeep to leave Ohio

Pretty soon the only jobs in America will be Crack Whore and Assistant Crack Whore.

But hey, we'll still have Sports!

"The assembly complex in Toledo, which employs about 6,000 workers, isn't in danger of shutting down even if the Wrangler goes away. It still makes the more-citified, more family-friendly Jeep Cherokee, and Marchionne said the employment level would be kept steady, most likely by bringing in a new vehicle to build."

The OP isn't completely accurate. The Wrangler may be sent to a suitable assembly but there are many other Jeep rides produced in my hometown Toledo and jobs will not be lost. A purely business decision. Calm down.

To meet CAFE standards, the Wrangler will need an aluminum body. Toledo is not set up for that. It is easier to build a new assembly plant than to attempt to renovate Toledo North (which, I recall, is the 75+ year old Willys-Overland factory)...not to mention disrupting the Cherokee production in the process.

Useless trivia: in the mid-90's, Chrysler's big Warren Truck plant could barely keep up with building the wildly-popular Rams. So, production of some Dakotas was farmed out to Toledo...all regular-cab/shortbeds (longer trucks wouldn't make some of the turns), they came down the line with Wranglers at Toledo North.

To meet CAFE standards, the Wrangler will need an aluminum body. Toledo is not set up for that. It is easier to build a new assembly plant than to attempt to renovate Toledo North (which, I recall, is the 75+ year old Willys-Overland factory)...not to mention disrupting the Cherokee production in the process.

Useless trivia: in the mid-90's, Chrysler's big Warren Truck plant could barely keep up with building the wildly-popular Rams. So, production of some Dakotas was farmed out to Toledo...all regular-cab/shortbeds (longer trucks wouldn't make some of the turns), they came down the line with Wranglers at Toledo North.

You expect somebody to believe aluminum is more difficult to bend than sheet metal? :rolleyes-41: And the weight reduction isn't done in the chassis, it's done in the body with more plastics and glass. Toledo plant can adapt in a week......STFU why doncha?

You expect somebody to believe aluminum is more difficult to bend than sheet metal? :rolleyes-41: And the weight reduction isn't done in the chassis, it's done in the body with more plastics and glass. Toledo plant can adapt in a week......STFU why doncha?

Jarlaxle is correct, the CEO stated exactly that. You ever try to bend aluminum with a press designed for steel? No plant can change over in a week.

Dude, what you DON'T know about metallurgy would fill several dozen books!

Fuck a bandsaw, asswipe.

I want them to keep the Wrangler here but if it has to go, at least one of our biggest employers has an interest in keeping Chrystler here.

"The assembly complex in Toledo, which employs about 6,000 workers, isn't in danger of shutting down even if the Wrangler goes away. It still makes the more-citified, more family-friendly Jeep Cherokee, and Marchionne said the employment level would be kept steady, most likely by bringing in a new vehicle to build."

The OP isn't completely accurate. The Wrangler may be sent to a suitable assembly but there are many other Jeep rides produced in my hometown Toledo and jobs will not be lost. A purely business decision. Calm down.
Its still a morale buster and could lead to thousands of layoffs. Hopefully they will either resolve it or put another line there to build. The Jeep has been there forever, what a shame.

Have to say though, I am not sure I would want a Wrangler made out of aluminum. Wranglers are off road vehicles and get beat up going over terrain. Of all vehicles out there I would think this one shouldn't be made of aluminum.

Its still a morale buster and could lead to thousands of layoffs. Hopefully they will either resolve it or put another line there to build. The Jeep has been there forever, what a shame.
Jeep isn't only the Jeep Wragler, stop lying about layoffs.

Dude, what you DON'T know about metallurgy would fill several dozen books!

Fuck a bandsaw, asswipe.

Ever work in a car plant, douchebag? Of course not....you're a metal expert! :eusa_dance:

I'm from Detroit, worked at Saginaw Steering Gear, been in several fabricating plants....aluminum is easier to work with than sheet metal you fucking bookworm.

Jarlaxle is correct, the CEO stated exactly that. You ever try to bend aluminum with a press designed for steel? No plant can change over in a week.

Jaraxle couldn't tie up her ballet slippers without help.....I've been around metal fabricating for almost 50 years...any metal press and be changed over in a matter of HOURS, not weeks. The car business pretty much has model changes ie retooling, down pat by now. :slap:

Last edited:

Or a turbo-charged diesel engine.

Do you know there are many search engines which will help with research with just a few mouse clicks?

I want them to keep the Wrangler here but if it has to go, at least one of our biggest employers has an interest in keeping Chrystler here.
Genius, Chrysler/Fiat will do business in Toledo as long as it can turn a profit.

Forum List

Back