I've finally come around to thinking the fillibuster just needs to be nuked. Not happy about that, since imo Goldwater and JFK were the highpoint

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
of American politics in the post WWII era, when two people with diametrically opposing views of what govt should be, and what the const should allow, could civilly discuss and look for common ground. But today we have a bloody debacle on the border. Not as bad as the gop claims, and certainly not what Trump did, thank God. (anyone heard from Kristen Neilson lately? lol)

But the dems ideology really prevents them from making the hard decisions. Instead of seeing an opportunity to make the country better, McConnell looks for political advantage. And the dems probably will be no better post-Dump.

So what's the point of looking for consensus. Let Americans legally elect their govt (without a coup or insurrection), and we can vote on the consequences every 2-4 years.

GOP looks to squeeze Biden, Democrats on border | TheHill

of American politics in the post WWII era, when two people with diametrically opposing views of what govt should be, and what the const should allow, could civilly discuss and look for common ground. But today we have a bloody debacle on the border. Not as bad as the gop claims, and certainly not what Trump did, thank God. (anyone heard from Kristen Neilson lately? lol)

But the dems ideology really prevents them from making the hard decisions. Instead of seeing an opportunity to make the country better, McConnell looks for political advantage. And the dems probably will be no better post-Dump.

So what's the point of looking for consensus. Let Americans legally elect their govt (without a coup or insurrection), and we can vote on the consequences every 2-4 years.

So your opinion is that MORE children being held in cages by the Border Patrol is better. That's fucked up.

The filibuster has been used by the Dims for as long as that party has existed (including to keep Jim Crow laws on the books and block civil rights legislation)...

How does it feel to have your actions come back and bite you in the ass????
The Dixiecrats used the filibuster to keep the Jim Crow era laws and your republic party used it to fight civil rights legislation.

Currently, the Conservative party of dumb uses it to oppose all legislation.

That is not it’s intended use. Also, it’s quite telling the senator mcturtle is threatening to burn down all of America over the ability of the filibuster to stop legislation instead reaching out one bit on participating the legislative process.

The filibuster has been used by the Dims for as long as that party has existed (including to keep Jim Crow laws on the books and block civil rights legislation)...

The Dixiecrats used the filibuster to keep the Jim Crow era laws and your republic party used it to fight civil rights legislation.

That is not it’s intended use. Also, it’s quite telling the senator mcturtle is threatening to burn down all of America over the ability of the filibuster to stop legislation instead reaching out one bit on participating the legislative process.
But they failed. I don't see any defections from today's gop. That's the point. And I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again, and they were when W was president even in leading up to the Iraq war.
Fact check: Democrats hold Senate filibuster record, 75 days in 1964 (usatoday.com)

No goper is willing to work with Biden to make an dem immigration bill acceptable to 60

And I don't see any reason to think the dems will be willing to help the next gop president govern.

But they failed. I don't see any defections from today's gop. That's the point. And I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again, and they were when W was president even in leading up to the Iraq war.
Fact check: Democrats hold Senate filibuster record, 75 days in 1964 (usatoday.com)

No goper is willing to work with Biden to make an dem immigration bill acceptable to 60

And I don't see any reason to think the dems will be willing to help the next gop president govern.

"see any defections"?

Good job at throwing your political bias out there. Does participating in the legislative process meaning one side gets 100% and the other receives 0%.

You realize that all those (almost 60 year ago Dixiecrats) Democratic pols in 1964 either retired after the 1964 Civil Rights bill passed into law or became republic pols.

Last edited:

"see any defections"?

Good job at throwing your political bias out there. Does participating in the legislative process meaning one side gets 100% and the other receives 0%.

You realize that all those (almost 60 year ago Dixiecrats) Democratic pols in 1964 either retired after the 1964 Civil Rights bill passed into law or became republic pols.
what bias is that? Lol. I clearly said neither party would seek a bipartisan resolution in the future. Which was the point of the the thread. But thanks for playing.

For what it's worth, I don't think Biden's progressive agenda is really what benefits me. But elections have consequences. (-:

Especially Robert Byrd, right?

And this guy, who represents your party in Virginia right fucking now:

ralph-northam-racist-yearbook-photo-kkk-blackface.jpg

"see any defections"?

what bias is that? Lol. I clearly said neither party would seek a bipartisan resolution in the future. Which was the point of the the thread. But thanks for playing.

For what it's worth, I don't think Biden's progressive agenda is really what benefits me. But elections have consequences. (-:
We are in a very sad political environment. We have been since the inauguration of President Clinton. Interestingly, it was during his tenure that the internet became a way of life and cable news became popular.
However, making major changes to our legislative system may prove to be detrimental to our long term well being. I believe we need to ride the storm. If you think about it....in Bill Clinton we had a moderate left. In GWB we had a moderate right. In Trump we had a hard right and in Biden we have a hard left.
I believe the electorate will realize what has happened and start voting for those like Clinton and Bush....and things will go back to the way they should.

"see any defections"?

No you posted, "I don't see any defections from today's gop" and "I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again". Those are clearly showing a bias because the gop will hold together in the face of Democratic unreasonableness.

Just last year senator rand paul used the filibuster to oppose an anti-lynching bill.

Killing the filibuster will be one more feather on the camel's back of Texas seceding.

I think it's part of the plan by foreign powers. They want the U.S. to go away. What better way to do it than rid the U.S. of the world's 10th largest economy?

Democrats seem to be helping the process right along, as if they are domestic agents of foreign powers.

A democracy should not be pushing things through based on 51% support.
A much larger super majority should always be the case.
If we can't get 2 thirds of congress to support something, it likely should never be passed at all.
Congress does way too much already.

Just last year senator rand paul used the filibuster to oppose an anti-lynching bill.
There is your "political bias"
My political bias is pointing out a fact?

No, your bias is in failing to mention the Democrats used the filibuster 314 times while Trump was president.

"see any defections"?

No you posted, "I don't see any defections from today's gop" and "I don't think the dems will ever be reasonable again". Those are clearly showing a bias because the gop will hold together in the face of Democratic unreasonableness.

Because, shit for brains trumpanzee, the dems didn't fillibuster Trump. They didn't need to because Trump couldn't get FIFTY ONE REPUBLICANS EVEN WHEN HE HELD THE SENATE. AND THANKS FOR PLAYING.

But when a goper is next elected president, I'd expect the dems to fillibuster him/her to death.

Killing the filibuster will be one more feather on the camel's back of Texas seceding.

I think it's part of the plan by foreign powers. They want the U.S. to go away. What better way to do it than rid the U.S. of the world's 10th largest economy?

Democrats seem to be helping the process right along, as if they are domestic agents of foreign powers.
Good luck with that.

Forum List

Back