It's Time: Which Candidate Do You Currently Favor?

People said the same about Lincoln, and Reagan. Trump is 100x the diplomat that Obama is. And trump earned his position....Obama was placed.

With all due respect, being a better diplomat than Obama is not a high bar to clear. You can pretty much just shuffle right across that bad boy without lifting your feet.

I was actually aspiring to a bit more than that in the next President.
I honestly don't place too much importance on diplomacy.

Inasmuch as it's the primary job description of the President, I'm thinking it might be important. And one need only look at the dog's dinner Obama has made of US relations throughout the world to see how much it matters to have someone in office who can fix it. I just don't see Trump's blustering and trash talk as the solution we need.
Obama's shit standing has more to do with his ideology than his diplomacy. He's a crappy diplomat because he wants America disgraced. Diplomacy the way you're referencing it is just pc behavior, and America has had enough.

Oh, it's entirely true that Obama's positions and viewpoint on the world are the heart of what's wrong with him. But the "diplomatic" moves he makes are the active manifestation of his crap, the carry-through of fucking up our nation.

And I haven't said a word about being PC, nor has it been anywhere in my mind. That's just what you're projecting onto my words because you want to cheer on Trump.

We go through this every damned election. There's always some chunk of voters desperately looking to be "Cleverest Guy in the Room" and find The One, the uber-special outside-the-box hero who's going to be the silver-bullet anodyne to "politics". All it ever accomplishes is to waste time and divert attention from finding a real, competent candidate and leaving us all at the mercy of whatever warmed-over, wishy-washy moderate the Establishment chooses to foist on us.

And the saddest thing is that The One is always much less conservative than the viable potential candidates, usually only having the ability to run their mouths flamboyantly and pander to the media's desire to divide the right.

Let's review:

1992 - Ross Perot. This little gremlin launched his campaign on a talk show, for God's sake. He wandered around spouting off with the most blatant reverse psychology tactic since a parent trying to trick a kid into obeying bedtime, insisting that he had to be "drafted" to take the Presidency, and "creative thinkers" simultaneously had a Perot-gasm in their pants and flocked after him. And what did the rest of us get stuck with while they "changed politics forever"? George H.W. Bush, and the Clinton presidency. And only a complete dumbass believed this guy was conservative.

1996 - Ross Perot: The Return. This time around, the right whipsawed back and forth, trying desperately to find someone "fresh and original" to trip on. We had Alan Keyes - Ehrmagerd, we could elect a BLACK MAN! THAT'LL convince the left that we're not racist! (Seriously, people?) We had Steve Forbes - He's a BUSINESSMAN, not a POLITICIAN! What a brilliant idea! (Where the fuck have I been hearing that recently? Hmmm.) We even had a minor national aneurysm over Pat Buchanan, for the love of all that's holy. I distinctly remembering at that point if someone was spiking the water supply with LSD. And, of course, we wound up with 3rd-Party-Messiah Ross Perot doing an encore. Which left the right with the painful spectacle of Bob Dole being turned into an Establishment meat puppet, and the second term of Bill Clinton.

2000 - We Gotta Get A Minority! Hey, look, let's idolize Elizabeth Dole, because she has a vagina! Oh, wait, no, Alan Keyes! He's black, remember?! No, no, Steve Forbes, because he's not a politician! Oh, fuck it. We'll go with George W. Bush.

2004 - Well, at least having an incumbent spared us the humiliation of everyone going all "Beatles" over some OTHER drip.

2008 - Ron Paul: Ross Perot Returns! Because apparently, the GOP disenfranchised have some sort of love affair with creepy Muppet-clones? And what did we get on the ballot? John McCain, who looked like the loudmouthed maverick everyone was lusting after, and turned out to be a through-and-through RINO. Hellooooo, President Obama.

2012 - Herman Cain; no wait, Rick Perry; no wait, RON PAUL! Default to Mitt Romney and an Obama second term.

Look, I get it. The only difference between a professional politician and a whore is that whores have better principles. And it's incredibly hard to respect and trust anyone who actually WANTS the frigging job. But possibly we could get past this deep-seated desire to find The Next Big Thing and draft some heretofore-unknown George Washington-in-hiding, and actually settle down to choosing a real candidate with better qualifications than "You can tell he's honest, because he's so rude about it!" and "Better than the Democrat".
Hahaha this is great you should save it!!!

Trump is not being saved. The man is dominating the field. While pundits fuel this flame as you have here, claiming that it is his supporter's emotions that are propping him up, perhaps his correctness, rather than political incorrectness is getting him taken seriously by a broader and broader group.

If there's anything fishy about the polling, I predict the head-to-head between Trump and Clinton will prove the most misleading by this time next year.

I'm very sorry if criticizing your hero got your panties in a bunch. Pick them out and stop talking like an Obamabot.

Believe whatever you like about Trump being the "savior" who's adored by the masses for his "honesty" - by which I assume you mean his need to be needlessly confrontational and offensive in order to make headlines. But spare me the emotionalism. I can get that from the leftists.
I'm sure you're upset that your candidate can't win the race and is trying to align himself as Trump's running mate. It's not my fault; there's no reason to attack me personally.

Write Cruz and advise him to back sounder policy, revolutionize his charisma and lead the message instead of parroting it. Maybe he could come through for you.

Allow me to extend the same invitation to you as to Kosher: tell me the actual policies of Donald Trump that make him the Conservative Messiah. And while you're at it, why don't you tell me which of Cruz's polices are "not sound", or "parroting the message"?

The whole point to this thread was to discuss which candidates we support and why, and so far, all I've heard in favor of Trump is "Listen to how abrasive he is; he MUST be tough and honest!"
Donald Trump on the Issues

I've posted this before on other threads. I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
Seal the border, allow no immigration of low wage or no wage earners until every American who wants a job has a job that pays the living wage. Only allow in those who bring in money or jobs.

Apple currently has over 30 billion in foreign banks that they made legally in foreign countries that they want to bring to America to spend. But if they do so they have to pay 30% in capital gains tAXES which is why they haven't. Trump, Romney, will do a repatriation holiday so companies like Apple can bring that money here to spend here and Trump plan has them pay 10% instead.

Trump mentioned appointing Icahn as ambassador to China. I like that idea. I also like the idea of increasing tariffs on those countries that don't pay an American living wage. Trump wants an even trading field and wants to force China into stopping playing with their money valuation cheating, so to speak, on world trade. I don't care if stuff we import from China becomes more expensive that would incentivize people into making it here instead.

Trump believes our promise to retires should be kept. How he'll do that I don't know.
Trump believes in fixing our VA health problem.
Trump wants to deport all illegals. So do I.
Trump wants to wipe away unnecessary regulations that interfere with people making money running a business. Like them not being able to drill for new oil in the Gulf, ANWR, or other Federal sites the entire time Obama has been in office. WE can become the energy producer of the world if the liberals got out of the way and let those who know how to make money do so.
etc

Thank you very much for providing a point-by-point of policy stances you support by Trump. You are the first person who has actually done so.

I am not, however, in any way responsible for anything you may or may not have posted elsewhere. I'm HERE. I'm more than willing to repeat myself as often as needed about Ted Cruz, because I genuinely believe in supporting him. If you genuinely believe in Donald Trump, you should be willing to do the same.

Now, as to your points:

I'm all in favor of sealing the border and revising the current immigration standards. I live an hour from the Mexican border, and what is largely an academic exercise to many people is a fact of daily life to me.

That being said, I tend to find Trump too simplistic and general on this subject. HOW do you seal the border? HOW do you deport illegals? What actual, real-life policies is he going to enact to make this happen?

I am not a particular fan of tariffs or other protectionist policies, so we're definitely going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I also am not a fan of requiring "American living wages" in countries with radically lower costs and standards of living. All that would accomplish is to badly destabilize their economies. I AM a fan of requiring companies to operate clean, safe shops abroad rather than sweat shops, and I am a fan of supporting a decent wage to workers in accordance with the actual cost of living in their country.

Again, I think Trump is very vague and simplistic on HOW he would accomplish his goals regarding China. Ditto fixing the VA, and a whole host of other issues. Even you admit it when you say he wants to keep promises to retirees, but you have no idea what that actually means.

I like solid mission statements, and I don't see much of that from Trump.
Trump is a Manager. He doesn't have to sweat the details. He'll have people to do that for him.

I'm very sorry if criticizing your hero got your panties in a bunch. Pick them out and stop talking like an Obamabot.

Believe whatever you like about Trump being the "savior" who's adored by the masses for his "honesty" - by which I assume you mean his need to be needlessly confrontational and offensive in order to make headlines. But spare me the emotionalism. I can get that from the leftists.
I'm sure you're upset that your candidate can't win the race and is trying to align himself as Trump's running mate. It's not my fault; there's no reason to attack me personally.

Write Cruz and advise him to back sounder policy, revolutionize his charisma and lead the message instead of parroting it. Maybe he could come through for you.

Allow me to extend the same invitation to you as to Kosher: tell me the actual policies of Donald Trump that make him the Conservative Messiah. And while you're at it, why don't you tell me which of Cruz's polices are "not sound", or "parroting the message"?

The whole point to this thread was to discuss which candidates we support and why, and so far, all I've heard in favor of Trump is "Listen to how abrasive he is; he MUST be tough and honest!"

I've posted this before on other threads. I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
Seal the border, allow no immigration of low wage or no wage earners until every American who wants a job has a job that pays the living wage. Only allow in those who bring in money or jobs.

Apple currently has over 30 billion in foreign banks that they made legally in foreign countries that they want to bring to America to spend. But if they do so they have to pay 30% in capital gains tAXES which is why they haven't. Trump, Romney, will do a repatriation holiday so companies like Apple can bring that money here to spend here and Trump plan has them pay 10% instead.

Trump mentioned appointing Icahn as ambassador to China. I like that idea. I also like the idea of increasing tariffs on those countries that don't pay an American living wage. Trump wants an even trading field and wants to force China into stopping playing with their money valuation cheating, so to speak, on world trade. I don't care if stuff we import from China becomes more expensive that would incentivize people into making it here instead.

Trump believes our promise to retires should be kept. How he'll do that I don't know.
Trump wants to wipe away unnecessary regulations that interfere with people making money running a business. Like them not being able to drill for new oil in the Gulf, ANWR, or other Federal sites the entire time Obama has been in office. WE can become the energy producer of the world if the liberals got out of the way and let those who know how to make money do so.
etc

Thank you very much for providing a point-by-point of policy stances you support by Trump. You are the first person who has actually done so.

I am not, however, in any way responsible for anything you may or may not have posted elsewhere. I'm HERE. I'm more than willing to repeat myself as often as needed about Ted Cruz, because I genuinely believe in supporting him. If you genuinely believe in Donald Trump, you should be willing to do the same.

Now, as to your points:

I'm all in favor of sealing the border and revising the current immigration standards. I live an hour from the Mexican border, and what is largely an academic exercise to many people is a fact of daily life to me.

That being said, I tend to find Trump too simplistic and general on this subject. HOW do you seal the border? HOW do you deport illegals? What actual, real-life policies is he going to enact to make this happen?

I am not a particular fan of tariffs or other protectionist policies, so we're definitely going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I also am not a fan of requiring "American living wages" in countries with radically lower costs and standards of living. All that would accomplish is to badly destabilize their economies. I AM a fan of requiring companies to operate clean, safe shops abroad rather than sweat shops, and I am a fan of supporting a decent wage to workers in accordance with the actual cost of living in their country.

Again, I think Trump is very vague and simplistic on HOW he would accomplish his goals regarding China. Ditto fixing the VA, and a whole host of other issues. Even you admit it when you say he wants to keep promises to retirees, but you have no idea what that actually means.

Trump is a Manager. He doesn't have to sweat the details. He'll have people to do that for him.

You have, in no sense whatsoever, reassured me as to his abilities.

I still really like Trump.

I like him because he's made a success of his life independent of professional politicking. I think he is genuinely interested in helping the US and I trust his ability to get stuff done.

I can appreciate all of that, but the truth is, I think many of the qualities that have served him so well in business would make him an utter disaster in the areas of politics and diplomacy. I think they kinda already have, and only the fact that the people being polled are so VERY anti-establishment, anti-PC, anti-politician right now is saving him.
Trump is not being saved. The man is dominating the field. While pundits fuel this flame as you have here, claiming that it is his supporter's emotions that are propping him up, perhaps his correctness, rather than political incorrectness is getting him taken seriously by a broader and broader group.

If there's anything fishy about the polling, I predict the head-to-head between Trump and Clinton will prove the most misleading by this time next year.

Conservative Messiah isn't what I'm looking for. To your earlier remark about some Obama something, Conservative Messiah sounds like some liberal pejorative that you're volunteering here. Why?

Ted Cruz remarked at the last debate that he supported returning the dollar to the gold standard. Unsound. Closing the Department of Commerce? No Article I, Section 8, Clause 3? No Federal Trade Commission or United States Patent and Trademark Office? Joke candidate. Me, mailing in my taxes on a postcard? WTF!

As crazy as you try to make Trump seem, he's not down with any of that bat-crazy nonsense politics. Neither Trump nor myself see overturning the way the country functions as conservative. It's radical/libertarian/Paul pandering is what it is.

As for being a parrot. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see him unless it's on Trump's coat tails.

He's a goddamn Canadian, damnit.

etc

Now, as to your points:

We may just be judging the candidates differently.

I like the idea that were going to approach certain issues from a certain angle. I think that Trump's placed those angles well. His theme-based campaigning is more like what is expected in the business world. The CEOs with a plan or a system, the Nardellis and Fiorinas, are perceived to do poorly. You have to take the job and use the company to pursue thematic objectives the way it knows best.

The 5-point-plan group are using a deprecated way of communicating these themes, so Trump's Twitter game is publicly defiling them in the polls.

Let me chew this for you: A perfectly competitive job market has a single job description; a perfectly competitive fashion market has a single, uniform product. The stuff you made up does not apply in either of these scenarios. Otherwise, how many more participants are required in the clothing market to flatten prices? Only a mandate to produce mao suits, the only time your bullshit's been put into application, will flatten price through more perfect competition.

Perfect Competition Definition | Investopedia

I have no idea what your talking about.......gibberish....designed to fool yourself into thinking you know something..
This state you're in indicates that you should leave economics to people with at least a high school understanding of it. Being math history and science, it doesn't comply with your unique make it up as you go technique.

I think the vast bulk of economists would agree more with me, even though I think the "profession" is largely a joke.
This is a total joke. The 'economics' that you are hacking up is high school level and you are 180* from the correct conclusions regarding competition and price and free market outcomes. History clearly does not agree with you. There's never been an economy where competition flattened prices or a free market drove income parity, ever. Economists would give you an F in economics, mainly for not studying and making up theory instead.

you have GOT to be joking, "never been an economy where competition flattened prices" B.S.

and if you mean by "income parity" perfect equality, then no, but it does tend to level out wages.

Let me chew this for you: A perfectly competitive job market has a single job description; a perfectly competitive fashion market has a single, uniform product. The stuff you made up does not apply in either of these scenarios. Otherwise, how many more participants are required in the clothing market to flatten prices? Only a mandate to produce mao suits, the only time your bullshit's been put into application, will flatten price through more perfect competition.

Perfect Competition Definition | Investopedia

I have no idea what your talking about.......gibberish....designed to fool yourself into thinking you know something..
This state you're in indicates that you should leave economics to people with at least a high school understanding of it. Being math history and science, it doesn't comply with your unique make it up as you go technique.

I think the vast bulk of economists would agree more with me, even though I think the "profession" is largely a joke.
This is a total joke. The 'economics' that you are hacking up is high school level and you are 180* from the correct conclusions regarding competition and price and free market outcomes. History clearly does not agree with you. There's never been an economy where competition flattened prices or a free market drove income parity, ever. Economists would give you an F in economics, mainly for not studying and making up theory instead.

you have GOT to be joking, "never been an economy where competition flattened prices" B.S.

and if you mean by "income parity" perfect equality, then no, but it does tend to level out wages.
I'll take examples, captain. What one economy performs like this. Cuba? Oh, you said competition. Where/when? (restricted to our dimension)

Here's a sixth example: Try buying powertools for the holidays. Plenty of competition. Differentiated on price, as main street and labor markets work. Price markets, like commodities traded on an exchange, have no brands, perfect info and uniform product. There's pretty flat pricing. Without a communist dictator in place, street markets won't disallow branding, marketing, product differentiation, innovation and sales. Purposefully, business people won't all decide to compete on price with these other options available. (Unless all consumers are brokeasses like you propose). This is how the world around you works, and directly contrary to your view.

This is also why lazy asses outside of a unionized environment are passed over for promotions or fired. At unions, they total the amount of time you've been a sloth at one tier and bump you up a tier based on a chart. You have to get into racism and backstabbing to cheat your way into hours. Busting your ass, differentiating your offering on quality: frowned upon in your unionized bolshevik state.

I can appreciate all of that, but the truth is, I think many of the qualities that have served him so well in business would make him an utter disaster in the areas of politics and diplomacy. I think they kinda already have, and only the fact that the people being polled are so VERY anti-establishment, anti-PC, anti-politician right now is saving him.

Conservative Messiah isn't what I'm looking for. To your earlier remark about some Obama something, Conservative Messiah sounds like some liberal pejorative that you're volunteering here. Why?

Because it is. A pejorative, anyway. Nothing liberal about it.

The point I'm making is that people are chasing around, looking for some magic candidate to get goose pimples over, trying to be original and clever and "think outside the box", and all it ever accomplishes is to ultimately leave us with mediocre, warmed-over-shit nominee, and all too often, a leftist President. And I don't want you to be in any doubt that I think it's fucking stupid, and I'm tired of it.

So yeah. If you want me and others like me to support Trump, you are going to have to give me some solid reasons why he is a good choice for conservatives, and the fact that whatever enters his head immediately pops out of his mouth with no filter ain't gonna cut it.

Ted Cruz remarked at the last debate that he supported returning the dollar to the gold standard. Unsound. Closing the Department of Commerce? No Article I, Section 8, Clause 3? No Federal Trade Commission or United States Patent and Trademark Office? Joke candidate. Me, mailing in my taxes on a postcard? WTF!

You really need to stop getting your news from the first five items on your Internet search. Research will not hurt you, I promise.

Gold Standard

What Mr. Cruz is referring to here is one of the points in his 12-step plan to revive the economy.

A Growth and Jobs Agenda, by Ted Cruz, National Review

10. Rein in the Fed and Ensure Sound Money. Congress should pass Rep. Ron Paul’s bill to audit the Federal Reserve — so that it is subject to basic principles of accountability and transparency. We then should restrain the Fed’s “quantitative easing” — a fancy term for printing money — so that our currency isn’t further debased. Since 2008, gold has skyrocketed and the value of the dollar has plummeted creating a cruel tax on every consumer, saver, and investor. For long-term growth, we need sound money and a strong dollar.

While I realize that lots of "modern" economists love to pooh-pooh the whole thing as "crude, outdated thinking", Cruz is not wrong that we need to rein in the federal reserve and stabilize the dollar. Anyone who thinks the status quo is better is the one who's crazy.

Department of Commerce, Federal Trade Commission, Patent and Trademark Office

I know, it's so much easier to simplify, consolidate, and paraphrase than to really understand what someone's saying, particularly on big, complex issues like reforming the federal government.

Here's what Cruz is actually proposing, and again, he's not wrong:

Five for Freedom Summary | Cruz for President

Abolish the IRS, the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, the Department of Commerce, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. A Cruz Administration will appoint heads of each of those agencies whose sole charge will be to wind them down and determine whether any programs need to be preserved.

Observe the bolded sentence. Obviously, when Cruz says "abolish", he doesn't mean simply wipe any vestige of them out in one stroke. Since he certainly still intends for there to be an income tax of some sort (he favors the flat tax), he equally certainly intends there to be some sort of agency to collect and process said tax (just as an example). But do we really need or want the bloated, intrusive IRS we have now, which has progressed alarmingly to the point of targeting and harassing people on the basis of their personal beliefs and political affiliations?

So yes, indentifying agencies and programs that are wasteful and obstructive and/or doing things that really are not appropriately the job of the federal government anyway in an orderly progression of auditing and scaling down is an excellent idea.

Meanwhile, Cruz is not suggesting eliminating or ignoring the Constitutionally-mandated regulation of international and interstate commerce, so spare me the all-or-nothing exaggeration. He is saying, and he is correct, that our current hotbed of cronyism, corruption, and interference in the free-market that is the Department of Commerce is not necessary or desirable for accomplishing that.

Taxes on a postcard? Why not? Are you saying you really enjoy spending hours going through reams of forms (well, electronic forms, but still), raising your blood pressure, and stressing about the possibility of audits?

The only joke here is that you swallow the media's disingenuous simplifications hook, line, and sinker.

As crazy as you try to make Trump seem, he's not down with any of that bat-crazy nonsense politics. Neither Trump nor myself see overturning the way the country functions as conservative. It's radical/libertarian/Paul pandering is what it is.

No, Trump has sane ideas like, "Just build a wall and deport 'em! Elect me and I'll make it all better . . . somehow, you don't need to know how, I'm not going to tell you." If he's got any more than that, you sure as shit haven't bothered to share it with me yet.

If you don't think changing large chunks of the way the country is currently running - or staggering like a drunken whore, as the case may be - is appropriate and necessary, then you're not much of a conservative. We've had entirely too much of "Oh well, it's already there, so we're stuck with it, let's just tinker around a bit on the edges".

As for being a parrot. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see him unless it's on Trump's coat tails.

It's just you. You're so blinded by the glowing light of "Truuuuump!!!!" that it's making Trump-spots on your retinas.

You should have saved the rest of your post and just said this, so I could have saved MY time and dismissed you as a media-drunk halfwit.

Oh, well. Since I already wrote up my answers to the rest of the post, I might as well put them up for anyone with an engaged brain out there to read.

Happy Trump worship, fanboy.

etc

Now, as to your points:

I like the idea that were going to approach certain issues from a certain angle. I think that Trump's placed those angles well. His theme-based campaigning is more like what is expected in the business world. The CEOs with a plan or a system, the Nardellis and Fiorinas, are perceived to do poorly. You have to take the job and use the company to pursue thematic objectives the way it knows best.

The 5-point-plan group are using a deprecated way of communicating these themes, so Trump's Twitter game is publicly defiling them in the polls.

"Theme-based campaigning". Is that what you call, "We don't need no steenkeeng plan. Just vote for me and I'll make it better. That's all you need to know"?

And may I remind you that we're not TALKING about business here? We're talking about the Presidency of the United States. Even if one accepts the idea that CEOs just spout generalized platitudes and vague mission statements - which I don't, because it's ridiculous and childish, anyway - the President definitely cannot. The best Presidents have a clear mission statement AND a plan as to how to achieve it.

If you think voting for someone who says, "We're gonna handle it", and provides no answer as to HOW is a great idea, then you go on with your bad self. Myself, I've already lived through almost eight years of a vague, platitudinous gasbag who has nothing to offer but his overall wonderfulness, and I'm tired of it.

If Donald Trump wants my vote, he'd better get the fuck off Twitter and start offering some solid, serious, adult thoughts on what's wrong and how to make it right.

etc

Now, as to your points:

"Theme-based campaigning". Is that what you call, "We don't need no steenkeeng plan. Just vote for me and I'll make it better. That's all you need to know"?

And may I remind you that we're not TALKING about business here? We're talking about the Presidency of the United States. Even if one accepts the idea that CEOs just spout generalized platitudes and vague mission statements - which I don't, because it's ridiculous and childish, anyway - the President definitely cannot. The best Presidents have a clear mission statement AND a plan as to how to achieve it.

If you think voting for someone who says, "We're gonna handle it", and provides no answer as to HOW is a great idea, then you go on with your bad self. Myself, I've already lived through almost eight years of a vague, platitudinous gasbag who has nothing to offer but his overall wonderfulness, and I'm tired of it.

If Donald Trump wants my vote, he'd better get the fuck off Twitter and start offering some solid, serious, adult thoughts on what's wrong and how to make it right.
He provides answers in his book. 12 bucks for a kindle version. He sounds a lot smarter in print.

Because it is. A pejorative, anyway. Nothing liberal about it.

The point I'm making is that people are chasing around, looking for some magic candidate to get goose pimples over, trying to be original and clever and "think outside the box", and all it ever accomplishes is to ultimately leave us with mediocre, warmed-over-shit nominee, and all too often, a leftist President. And I don't want you to be in any doubt that I think it's fucking stupid, and I'm tired of it.

So yeah. If you want me and others like me to support Trump, you are going to have to give me some solid reasons why he is a good choice for conservatives, and the fact that whatever enters his head immediately pops out of his mouth with no filter ain't gonna cut it.

You really need to stop getting your news from the first five items on your Internet search. Research will not hurt you, I promise.

Gold Standard

What Mr. Cruz is referring to here is one of the points in his 12-step plan to revive the economy.

A Growth and Jobs Agenda, by Ted Cruz, National Review

10. Rein in the Fed and Ensure Sound Money. Congress should pass Rep. Ron Paul’s bill to audit the Federal Reserve — so that it is subject to basic principles of accountability and transparency. We then should restrain the Fed’s “quantitative easing” — a fancy term for printing money — so that our currency isn’t further debased. Since 2008, gold has skyrocketed and the value of the dollar has plummeted creating a cruel tax on every consumer, saver, and investor. For long-term growth, we need sound money and a strong dollar.

While I realize that lots of "modern" economists love to pooh-pooh the whole thing as "crude, outdated thinking", Cruz is not wrong that we need to rein in the federal reserve and stabilize the dollar. Anyone who thinks the status quo is better is the one who's crazy.

Department of Commerce, Federal Trade Commission, Patent and Trademark Office

I know, it's so much easier to simplify, consolidate, and paraphrase than to really understand what someone's saying, particularly on big, complex issues like reforming the federal government.

Here's what Cruz is actually proposing, and again, he's not wrong:

Five for Freedom Summary | Cruz for President

Abolish the IRS, the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, the Department of Commerce, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. A Cruz Administration will appoint heads of each of those agencies whose sole charge will be to wind them down and determine whether any programs need to be preserved.

Observe the bolded sentence. Obviously, when Cruz says "abolish", he doesn't mean simply wipe any vestige of them out in one stroke. Since he certainly still intends for there to be an income tax of some sort (he favors the flat tax), he equally certainly intends there to be some sort of agency to collect and process said tax (just as an example). But do we really need or want the bloated, intrusive IRS we have now, which has progressed alarmingly to the point of targeting and harassing people on the basis of their personal beliefs and political affiliations?

So yes, indentifying agencies and programs that are wasteful and obstructive and/or doing things that really are not appropriately the job of the federal government anyway in an orderly progression of auditing and scaling down is an excellent idea.

Meanwhile, Cruz is not suggesting eliminating or ignoring the Constitutionally-mandated regulation of international and interstate commerce, so spare me the all-or-nothing exaggeration. He is saying, and he is correct, that our current hotbed of cronyism, corruption, and interference in the free-market that is the Department of Commerce is not necessary or desirable for accomplishing that.

Taxes on a postcard? Why not? Are you saying you really enjoy spending hours going through reams of forms (well, electronic forms, but still), raising your blood pressure, and stressing about the possibility of audits?

The only joke here is that you swallow the media's disingenuous simplifications hook, line, and sinker.

No, Trump has sane ideas like, "Just build a wall and deport 'em! Elect me and I'll make it all better . . . somehow, you don't need to know how, I'm not going to tell you." If he's got any more than that, you sure as shit haven't bothered to share it with me yet.

If you don't think changing large chunks of the way the country is currently running - or staggering like a drunken whore, as the case may be - is appropriate and necessary, then you're not much of a conservative. We've had entirely too much of "Oh well, it's already there, so we're stuck with it, let's just tinker around a bit on the edges".

It's just you. You're so blinded by the glowing light of "Truuuuump!!!!" that it's making Trump-spots on your retinas.

You should have saved the rest of your post and just said this, so I could have saved MY time and dismissed you as a media-drunk halfwit.

Oh, well. Since I already wrote up my answers to the rest of the post, I might as well put them up for anyone with an engaged brain out there to read.

Happy Trump worship, fanboy.
I appreciate that you've made a real response.

First, I've reviewed Cruz' site and did not miss the line about retaining necessary programs. Where else would one find out about Cruz' policy ideas? :rofl: The site states the aim to demo 5 departments, at least in part... as well as other programs from the legislative process, all to the tune of $500 billion in 10 years. Fine.

I think the constitution's provision which made the DOC the way it is is indeed contradicted by Cruz' stance on determining 'necessity' through an exec branch cabinet level audit. You guys are real tiring with the ad hominem, but maybe you could explain how my position is so outrageous. Where do you feel it shows that Cruz even considered our constitution or civics with this proposal.

I'm skeptical that plans like this, the gold standard bullshit and the postcard tax form are pandering gimmicks with no shot in application. I associate this campaigning style with Huckabee, Paul and Cruz, at least. This isn't suitable for my vote.

The gold standard claim came straight out of Cruz' mouth at the FBN debate, putting him on my DQ list. The link you provided shows me that he's a Paulist, but doesn't relate to the gold standard statement he made live. I haven't researched that further, being satisfied by witnessing him say it.

I'll take the insulting label, but I feel wiser than to support old and stupid ideas from libertarian politicians in lieu of a modern better-working status quo. You don't apply this same line in the sand or see our monetary policy in a positive light. We differ 180* in this way. It's ok, but it means we support different candidates.

You've gone a long way to defend your choice, and you've misidentified my intention to sway your thinking at all. I'm just my vote. You asked what I see in Cruz regarding his policy positions. I see a shitty-policy canadian paulnut on my DQ list without the charisma to do anything about it. I understand he renounced his Canadian rights just last year? We must be agreeing to disagree on the significance of this, too. I think he's running the race with a peg-leg on this basis alone.

etc

Now, as to your points:

So far Trump has communicated the direction his presidency will take. I don't see this as falling short of your candidate or others who have put infeasible promises forward in print. Cruz' 5 for freedom opens more how questions than Trump has, but people who support him haven't bothered to question how that would possibly work.

As for the 'tradition' of detailing how in presidential races: The five-point-plan era is not so old, and may be dead. I don't recall Bush Jr indulging in this with his victory. I recall Perot's specificity was irregular and conceived to be politically ineffective.

My point about how anyone is brought into the business world is my preference, but apparently shared by shareholders with financial stakes and voters in this cycle. We all know what happens to the best laid plans, so let's hear what good fight you'll fight.

Now, as to your points:

He provides answers in his book. 12 bucks for a kindle version. He sounds a lot smarter in print.

How about no? He wants my vote, he'll fucking tell me his plan for free, and be grateful that I took the time to listen.

Hillary sounds smarter in print, too. Most people with ghostwriters do.

Now, as to your points:

So far Trump has communicated the direction his presidency will take. I don't see this as falling short of your candidate or others who have put infeasible promises forward in print. Cruz' 5 for freedom opens more how questions than Trump has, but people who support him haven't bothered to question how that would possibly work.

As for the 'tradition' of detailing how in presidential races: The five-point-plan era is not so old, and may be dead. I don't recall Bush Jr indulging in this with his victory. I recall Perot's specificity was irregular and conceived to be politically ineffective.

My point about how anyone is brought into the business world is my preference, but apparently shared by shareholders with financial stakes and voters in this cycle. We all know what happens to the best laid plans, so let's hear what good fight you'll fight.

So far, Trump has communicated a vague mission statement and his belief that his mere presence in office will somehow miraculously make it so. Really gonna need more than that.

It's one thing to answer the "How?" questions and spark MORE "How?" questions, because that leads to a discussion of the best future for our country. It's another thing to just say, "We'll make America great. Never mind how. Just elect me and I'll make it happen." And you are incorrect that his supporters aren't asking those further questions. You just aren't paying attention because you're too distracted by Trump's smoke and mirrors and flashing strobe lights.

This is a process. Cruz has advanced into the next stages of that process; Trump's still at the starting line. That's the problem.

You already heard what I like and what I'm fighting for, and despite multiple posts on that subject and multiple requests for you to reciprocate, you continue to think you can get away with "Trump's stated his direction, and I see it as good enough" and then demand even more answers and details. How about no?

I think we've got this pretty well nailed down. Trump says he's wonderful, you believe he's wonderful, and that's all you fucking need to know about this election.

How about no? He wants my vote, he'll fucking tell me his plan for free, and be grateful that I took the time to listen.

There is a web site where his positions on all the issues are listed. I would post it now but am on my tablet. Why are you demanding more then any other candidate? They all have web sites describing the details so they dont have to waste precious tv time to do so. They all do it . You are demanding more from trump than you are demanding from the other candidates.

So far, Trump has communicated a vague mission statement and his belief that his mere presence in office will somehow miraculously make it so. Really gonna need more than that.

It's one thing to answer the "How?" questions and spark MORE "How?" questions, because that leads to a discussion of the best future for our country. It's another thing to just say, "We'll make America great. Never mind how. Just elect me and I'll make it happen." And you are incorrect that his supporters aren't asking those further questions. You just aren't paying attention because you're too distracted by Trump's smoke and mirrors and flashing strobe lights.

This is a process. Cruz has advanced into the next stages of that process; Trump's still at the starting line. That's the problem.

You already heard what I like and what I'm fighting for, and despite multiple posts on that subject and multiple requests for you to reciprocate, you continue to think you can get away with "Trump's stated his direction, and I see it as good enough" and then demand even more answers and details. How about no?

I think we've got this pretty well nailed down. Trump says he's wonderful, you believe he's wonderful, and that's all you fucking need to know about this election.
I see my position more like who else but Trump? Rubio and Jeb are the 'ideas look good on paper' candidates. They've got their hows all in a row. Why support these cookie cutter guys? I'm not scared of a president Trump and they're six to Hillary's half dozen.

The rest of the field are on the DQ list for thematic reasons as well: Fiorina's Kissinger rant about Russia, Cruz and Paul about politicians fuckin up our dollar, too. Huckabee, Fiorina, Cruz and Paul for oversimplified tax plan pandering. Cruz holding out his kanuck license until last year. Huckabee getting that Kim Davis shit ass-backwards. Poor Lindsey Graham for not having a wife. They're done.

The difference between them and Trump, which escapes most commentary, is that Trump has mandate. It makes all the difference, back to Locke's observations on social contract, although I'm sure there's some modern group psychology term for it. It's why the moderators of his rhetoric lose people's confidence and propels him in polls. This is where I draw my coat tails. Under whose mandate is the republican field wading into the immigration debate?

I'm always curious about the processes for people who checked different boxes than I would.

There is a web site where his positions on all the issues are listed. I would post it now but am on my tablet. Why are you demanding more then any other candidate? They all have web sites describing the details so they dont have to waste precious tv time to do so. They all do it . You are demanding more from trump than you are demanding from the other candidates.
Trump's "issues pages" are 1/10th of anyone else's. Cecilie will help with the fact checking, but that may not be an exaggeration.

visit this site --> Donald Trump on the Issues it's free. Every Candidate has one.

Forum List

Back