It's The Algorithm Stupid

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
The difference between cocaine and crack cocaine is almost entirely one of pH, the relative scale of acidity or alkalinity. Regular cocaine in its original plant form, coca leaf, is commonly consumed by people across the mountainous parts of South America and has been for millennia, much as caffeine has been used through drinking tea in parts of Asia. It causes little to no harm; people can drink coca tea with no more impact than the caffeine from a soft drink.

But when you concentrate and tweak the compound just slightly to make it more alkaline (called “base” in chemistry), that increases its “stickiness,” the speed and tenacity with which it binds to blood and brain tissue (which is slightly more acidic), increasing the speed with which it’s transported to the nervous system and thus “hits” the user producing the cocaine “high.”

The more sudden and intense the “high,” the more addictive the substance. It’s why most American cigarette manufacturers add ammonia to tobacco: it changes the pH of nicotine and thus converts the nicotine in the cigarette from “normal nicotine” into free-base “crack nicotine.”

Similarly, when we’re confronted by novel or shocking stimuli, it causes a release in our brain of certain chemical neurotransmitters (particularly dopamine) that give us a weak “high” by increasing our alertness while stimulating the reward centers of our brains.

Evolution wired this into us to help us survive: the shocking encounter with the tiger living over in one particular part of the forest will have a much greater mental and emotional impact and thus be remembered far longer than a similar encounter with a squirrel. The more vividly we react to and remember the tiger (and where he lives), the less likely we are to be eaten by him.

This is the essence of how social media algorithms work: when you view certain content online, the algorithm chooses what other, associated content to “push” toward you. If you see a diary with a picture and story of Uncle Ralph at the beach with Aunt Sally and Sally’s wearing an old “Bush/Cheney” T-shirt, the computer algorithm has multiple data points to choose from as it decides what it’s going to show you next.

God damn the pusher man.

The difference between cocaine and crack cocaine is almost entirely one of pH, the relative scale of acidity or alkalinity. Regular cocaine in its original plant form, coca leaf, is commonly consumed by people across the mountainous parts of South America and has been for millennia, much as caffeine has been used through drinking tea in parts of Asia. It causes little to no harm; people can drink coca tea with no more impact than the caffeine from a soft drink.

But when you concentrate and tweak the compound just slightly to make it more alkaline (called “base” in chemistry), that increases its “stickiness,” the speed and tenacity with which it binds to blood and brain tissue (which is slightly more acidic), increasing the speed with which it’s transported to the nervous system and thus “hits” the user producing the cocaine “high.”

The more sudden and intense the “high,” the more addictive the substance. It’s why most American cigarette manufacturers add ammonia to tobacco: it changes the pH of nicotine and thus converts the nicotine in the cigarette from “normal nicotine” into free-base “crack nicotine.”

Similarly, when we’re confronted by novel or shocking stimuli, it causes a release in our brain of certain chemical neurotransmitters (particularly dopamine) that give us a weak “high” by increasing our alertness while stimulating the reward centers of our brains.

Evolution wired this into us to help us survive: the shocking encounter with the tiger living over in one particular part of the forest will have a much greater mental and emotional impact and thus be remembered far longer than a similar encounter with a squirrel. The more vividly we react to and remember the tiger (and where he lives), the less likely we are to be eaten by him.

This is the essence of how social media algorithms work: when you view certain content online, the algorithm chooses what other, associated content to “push” toward you. If you see a diary with a picture and story of Uncle Ralph at the beach with Aunt Sally and Sally’s wearing an old “Bush/Cheney” T-shirt, the computer algorithm has multiple data points to choose from as it decides what it’s going to show you next.

God damn the pusher man.
Moral of the story..you can be the driver..and learn how to drive, the hazards of the road, differences between vehicles...how to read a map and how to get to where you want to go..all of which requires a fair bit of effort throughout your life.
Or...you can be a passenger, enjoy the music played for you, not worry about where you're going..trusting in the good faith and skill of the driver. This requires no effort at all on your part...but do not be surprised when you find that where you thought you were going..turns out to be different than where you end up~

In my experience, most people are passengers...who all claim to have mad driving skills--from the safety of the back seat.

God damn the pusher man.
Front me an eight ball of coke man...

God damn the pusher man.
Follow Trump and within a week the algorithm will be feeding you QAnon shit.

That's how so many people fell into that rabbit hole.

Fuck Facebook

Front me an eight ball of coke man...
I tried that shit a couple times in high skewl when it was real. Made my heart beat too fast and a 20 minute high didn't do it for me. However the first 5 minutes after a toot was pretty kool

Bloody snots and post nasal drip drip along with an aching jaw the next morn wernt worth it
A drug that made me want to out and buy more drug..endlessly--seemed to me to be a danger to my financial health!

I've seen entire small towns, in the northwest, tweaked to the eyebrows. You'll think zombies and shit..people WILL loom out at you from the fog!
Plenty of ways to feel good....that feel good~

A drug that made me want to out and buy more drug..endlessly--seemed to me to be a danger to my financial health!

I've seen entire small towns, in the northwest, tweaked to the eyebrows. You'll think zombies and shit..people WILL loom out at you from the fog!
Plenty of ways to feel good....that feel good~
In my financial career, drugs and gambling ruined more than anything

I did it in the 80s when it wasn't cut with a million things. Again the initial rush was cool, but being a nervous wreck grinding teeth wasn't my thingey...lolol

In my financial career, drugs and gambling ruined more than anything

I did it in the 80s when it wasn't cut with a million things. Again the initial rush was cool, but being a nervous wreck grinding teeth wasn't my thingey...lolol
Did you miss out on the drugz in the 1970's?

Forum List

Back