It Was the Best of Concerts, it Was the Worst of Concerts

Jake Winker Frogen

Platinum Member
Apr 24, 2020
What are the worst and best concerts you have ever been to?

The worst concert I ever went to was Elton John in Hyde Park London.

He was alone, just him and the piano, no back up music, which he has the talent to pull off but his heart was not in it that night.

He never welcomed or even interacted with the audience, he just played a song, got up, bowed like a fat Muppet, then went on to the next song.

I do not know what was wrong with him that night, maybe he had a gerbil still up his ass or the roadies did not give him a big enough tub of his favourite ice cream? It was the worst concert of all time.

The best was astonishingly Barry Manilow in Little Rock Arkansas.

I did not even want to go, my then girlfriend dragged me to it.

He was funny, he even told a joke about how all the men in the audience were dragged their by their wives or girlfriends, he told stories about why he wrote the various songs, some were very moving, others hilarious, he invited fans on stage and he went down into the audience and interacted.

Great night that one.

Without going into too much detail, out of all the concerts I've been to which is a pretty big list, the worst was the infamous 1978 'Kiss blizzard concert' in Richfield , Ohio, when everyone including the band was snowed- in all night well into the next day. It took hours for everyone to find their buried cars in the parking lots....By the time I got home I was cold, wet, starving and generally pissed...(wasn't a big Kiss fan to start with). The only good news was that school was cancelled for the rest of the week.

The best was the year before - my girlfriend and I had 16th row for Led Zeppelin
and it was a magical night - one of my most cherished memories. Having the privilege of getting to hear and feel the thundering drums of John Bonham on one of his last tours sadly. John Paul, Robert and Jimmy were all tight that night, - light show was incredible ( or maybe it was the mescaline ).:cool:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the Elton John concert. He's one of my favorite musicians. I saw him at his peak during the Goodbye Yellowbrick Road tour in 74 and just a couple years ago at Caesar's Palace Las Vegas. Both were great concerts in their own way. He was a ball of energy in his youth and it was kind of sad to see him now, aged and stiff when he walked around the stage. But when he played and sang, he seemed like himself. The venue was smaller and he was very engaging relating stories about him and Bernie Taupin, how particular songs came to be etc. Really a great show.

Another one of my worst concerts of all time was Ricky Nelson at Knotts Berry Farm in Southern California.

I was a kid, my mother took us.

He was off his head on something and could barely speak.

The audience actually booed him and most got up and left and my mother was in tears because she loved him.

I will never forgive you Ricky.

Another one of my worst concerts of all time was Ricky Nelson at Knotts Berry Farm in Southern California.

The audience actually booed him and most got up and left and my mother was in tears because she loved him.

My mom took me to see Santana in 1972 and even at 11
I could dig it. Outdoor festival- very Woodstock- vibe going on....the peak of the hippy days.

I guess he stunk up Madison Square Garden too. Thus the song "Garden Party".

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

Well you pleased yourself that night at Knotts Berry Farm Ricky.

On Jack and Ludes.

1975 Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker, and somebody else at the Superdome Grand Opening. Some good looking drunk girl from Mississippi climbed up on my shoulders to see the stage better, and stayed there for about 2 hours, until she peed on me and I threw her off.

The summer of 1973 (I think)...

Venue...
Melody Skateland (Westside of Indianapolis)

1602746696483.png

Musicians...
The Edgar Winter Group...
Foghat...
Black Oak Arkansas...

The worst concert I ever attended... Not necessarily because of the bands while they contributed to the chaos it was more mother nature...

Festival seating (for those to young to know what festival seating is it's the freaking floor...
No Air-conditioning and 168% humidity...
I should have asked for my $12.00 back... :laugh:

The best was Pink Floyd in Frankfurt, Germany... Animals (2nd was Jethro Tull)... A Passion Play...

Forum List

Back