Infrastructure, The Brent Spence Bridge, and The Swamp on MSNBC

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
I used to live in southern Ohio and have quite often traveled across the Brent Spence Bridge, which is I-75/I-71 that travels across the Ohio River between Cincinnati and Kentucky. I HATE traveling across bridges that are high in the air and cross bodies of water. I'm not sure if there is a specific phobia for that, but I particularly freak out when I see in the news bridges that have collapsed sending people and their cars into the water, which happened not long ago in Minneapolis when the I-35 bridged fell into the Mississippi River.

I was flipping channels and saw that a show on MSNBC called "The Swamp" was on. It is a show with Katy Tur and Jacob Soboroff that talks about how hard it is to get anything done in Washington and just how crooked it is. Well during the show they were talking about the Brent Spence Bridge and how bad of shape it is in, how BOTH Trump and Obama has brought it up, and that so far they have only come up with 2% of the funding (roughly $53 million) to replace the crumbling bridge. It is a FREAKY bridge to cross, as it is a double-decker bridge where you drive on asphalt and metal grates. I'm not sure how they would replace the bridge with the way Northern Kentucky and Ohio is set up, and traffic is already a clusterfuck at the "split," I can't imagine what it would be like under construction.

I would feel extremely sorry for all the truck drivers, as the bridge is a huge part of I-75 that connects Miami to Detroit.

636205048715967792-CINCpt-04-12-2016-Kentucky-1-A001--2016-04-11-IMG-brent-spence-bridge-1-1-URE1ML8K-L793066823-IMG-brent-spence-bridge-1-1-URE1ML8K.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
PLE2QZUIT5FNBFTYOYEQRRQ4RA.jpg

Unfortunately it is a question of when not if we will have another bridge collapse with fatalities. Who knows, if the body count is high enough there may actually be something done.

I used to live in southern Ohio and have quite often traveled across the Brent Spence Bridge, which is I-75/I-71 that travels across the Ohio River between Cincinnati and Kentucky. I HATE traveling across bridges that are high in the air and cross bodies of water. I'm not sure if there is a specific phobia for that, but I particularly freak out when I see in the news bridges that have collapsed sending people and their cars into the water, which happened not long ago in Minneapolis when the I-35 bridged fell into the Mississippi River.

I was flipping channels and saw that a show on MSNBC called "The Swamp" was on. It is a show with Katy Tur and Jacob Soboroff that talks about how hard it is to get anything done in Washington and just how crooked it is. Well during the show they were talking about the Brent Spence Bridge and how bad of shape it is in, how BOTH Trump and Obama has brought it up, and that so far they have only come up with 2% of the funding (roughly $53 million) to replace the crumbling bridge. It is a FREAKY bridge to cross, as it is a double-decker bridge where you drive on asphalt and metal grates. I'm not sure how they would replace the bridge with the way Northern Kentucky and Ohio is set up, and traffic is already a clusterfuck at the "split," I can't imagine what it would be like under construction.

I would feel extremely sorry for all the truck drivers, as the bridge is a huge part of I-75 that connects Miami to Detroit.

636205048715967792-CINCpt-04-12-2016-Kentucky-1-A001--2016-04-11-IMG-brent-spence-bridge-1-1-URE1ML8K-L793066823-IMG-brent-spence-bridge-1-1-URE1ML8K.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

If the bridge carried illegals from Mexico into the USA the democrats would have already replaced it with a 12 lane wide triple decker bridge

hqdefault.jpg
Build the Wall first and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

hqdefault.jpg

If the bridge carried illegals from Mexico into the USA the democrats would have already replaced it with a 12 lane wide triple decker bridge
I-75 is a major international trade route, and Canada is our biggest trading partner. This isn't partisan.

It really, is just a matter of allocating funds. Most likely, they figure there are places that are more in need.

Next to the Mackinac, the Zilwaukee is the second largest bridge along this route, and it has been a major revenue drain for the past 50 years or so, b/c of some design flaws in the 80's and some overhaul work back in 2014. :dunno:

It might have to do with the freighter traffic that goes on underneath that bridge too. There used to be a draw bridge where the Zilwaukee is. I notice there is quite a bit more traffic on this Brent Spence Bridge.

It makes a HUGE difference having to shut down the traffic flow and stop an interstate to allow an international freighter to pass. And vice versa. With the construction of the Zilwaukee, freighters can go under the bridge without traffic stopping, just like at Mackinac. Still hard to believe the Mackinac bridge isn't yet a century old. Only completed in 1957.

old bridge:
zilwaukee_bridge_1979.jpg

new bridge:
Manistee-8-6-05-gg-f.jpg

When it is just pedestrian? I guess that folks in D.C. and the state capitals probably just have an attitude of. . . let them pound sand.

Judging from that photo, there are quite a few OTR's using that route, so it would seem no good alt.'s exist? Must be a lot of problems that need addressing and not enough $$$ :dunno:

Either that or corruption and waste is siphoning off a lot of the budget. . . . who knows?

hqdefault.jpg

I-75 is a major international trade route, and Canada is our biggest trading partner. This isn't partisan.

It really, is just a matter of allocating funds. Most likely, they figure there are places that are more in need.

Next to the Mackinac, the Zilwaukee is the second largest bridge along this route, and it has been a major revenue drain for the past 50 years or so, b/c of some design flaws in the 80's and some overhaul work back in 2014. :dunno:

It might have to do with the freighter traffic that goes on underneath that bridge too. There used to be a draw bridge where the Zilwaukee is. I notice there is quite a bit more traffic on this Brent Spence Bridge.

It makes a HUGE difference having to shut down the traffic flow and stop an interstate to allow an international freighter to pass. And vice versa. With the construction of the Zilwaukee, freighters can go under the bridge without traffic stopping, just like at Mackinac. Still hard to believe the Mackinac bridge isn't yet a century old. Only completed in 1957.

old bridge:
zilwaukee_bridge_1979.jpg

new bridge:
Manistee-8-6-05-gg-f.jpg

When it is just pedestrian? I guess that folks in D.C. and the state capitals probably just have an attitude of. . . let them pound sand.

Judging from that photo, there are quite a few OTR's using that route, so it would seem no good alt.'s exist? Must be a lot of problems that need addressing and not enough $$$ :dunno:

Either that or corruption and waste is siphoning off a lot of the budget. . . . who knows?

There is nothing wrong with a bridge that can handle that much traffic

Forum List

Back