Information Gathering Paradox

Do you share personal information on the Internet?

• Yes

• No

• I do not like polls or surveys - I share what I want to share

Results are only viewable after voting.

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
Information gathering on the internet. Do you willingly participate or not? Do you believe participating in the sharing of your personal information with strangers on the internet, gov't surveys, face book, message boards is safe or not?

Here is one link about the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/sunday-review/the-information-gathering-paradox.html?_r=0

Companies have released transparency reports, many for the first time, enumerating how many times law enforcement agencies demand user data; their executives have issued blistering statements; and several firms, including Facebook and Google, have filed lawsuits in a bid to reveal more about secret government orders.

All the while, though, a central contradiction has become ever harder to conceal. The Internet industry, having nudged consumers to share heaps of information about themselves, has built a trove of personal data for government agencies to mine — erecting, perhaps unintentionally, what Alessandro Acquisti, a Carnegie Mellon University behavioral economist, calls “the de facto infrastructure of surveillance.”

How Google collects data about you and the Internet | Pingdom Royal

• Ad serving – Adwords and Adsense are cornerstones of Google’s financial success, but they also provide Google with a lot of valuable data. Which ads are people clicking on, which keywords are advertisers bidding on, and which ones are worth the most? All of this is useful information.
  • Email – Gmail is one of the three largest email services in the world, together with competing options from Microsoft (Hotmail) and Yahoo. Email content, both sent and received, is parsed and analyzed. Even from a security standpoint this is a great service for Google. Google’s email security service, Postini, gets a huge amount of data about spam, malware and email security trends from the huge mass of Gmail users.
  • Twitter – “All your tweets are belong to us,” to paraphrase an early Internet meme. Google has direct access to all tweets that pass through Twitter after a deal made late last year.
  • Google Apps (Docs, Spreadsheets, Calendar, etc.) – Google’s office suite has many users and is of course a valuable data source to Google.
  • Google Public Profiles – Google encourages you to put a profile about yourself publicly on the Web, including where you can be found on social media sites and your homepage, etc.
  • Orkut – Google’s social network isn’t a success everywhere, but it’s huge in some parts of the world (mainly Brazil and India).
  • Google Public DNS – Google’s newly launched DNS service doesn’t just help people get fast DNS lookups, it helps Google too, because it will get a ton of statistics from this, for example what websites people access.
  • The Google Chrome browser – What is your web browsing behavior? What sites do you visit?

What Does Facebook Know About You : The Scary Facts
  • Videos you’ve watched
  • Comments you’ve liked
  • Websites you’ve visited
  • Articles and websites you’ve commented on
  • Surveys you’ve filled out
  • Companies you like
  • People you’ve been tagged with
  • People you frequently hang out with
  • Friends you’ve requested
  • Friends you denied
  • Friends you’ve un-friended
  • How often you are online
  • Apps you Admin/created
  • Pages you admin/created
  • Your current mood
  • Device you’ve accessed the Internet from
  • Exact Geo-location (longitude, altitude, latitude, time/date stamp)
  • TV, Film, Concert you are currently watching
  • Book or publication you are currently reading
  • Audio you are currently listening too
  • Drink you are currently drinking
  • Food you are currently eating
  • Activities you participate in
  • Advertising you interact with
  • Profiles you interact with most
  • Locations you access Facebook
  • Locations you access web properties connected to Facebook
  • Level of online engagement
  • When you changed jobs
  • How long you stayed in a job
  • Credit card details
  • IP Address
  • Apps you’ve downloaded
  • Games you’ve played
  • Pages/Businesses you’ve un-liked (when)

Last edited:
I'm not on face book but I do not think it is wise to answer polls that are asking personal questions about your life - what your habits are, what are your weaknesses, what are you doing this very second - type questions - etc. There are now stories emerging about people on the internet who gather this information and then use it to impersonate you which in one story (didn't verify if it is true or not) I saw on internet a story about one victim which led to their arrest by police. Eventually that person was freed and they captured the ring that was responsible. The person arrested was fined a thousand dollars for sharing personal information on the internet!

Who is we? You know. Not everyone does. That is the reason for this thread, Bleipriester. Not everyone realizes what is going on when someone is information gathering on a message board, a face book site, a chat room, etc. It can be very dangerous. People need to think before they hand over information to a complete stranger. It isn't wise.

Who is we? You know. Not everyone does. That is the reason for this thread, Bleipriester. Not everyone realizes what is going on when someone is information gathering on a message board, a face book site, a chat room, etc. It can be very dangerous. People need to think before they hand over information to a complete stranger. It isn't wise.
Gathering information seems to be the big business nowadays. User tracking is a part of that and this site runs nine trackers. I turned them off using Ghostery. Just for your knowledge.

Love Scams | Email Spam | Cartoons | Internet Fraud

love-scam1.jpg

love-scam2.jpg

Last edited:
Gathering information seems to be the big business nowadays. User tracking is a part of that and this site runs nine trackers. I turned them off using Ghostery. Just for your knowledge.

It is big business for criminals too. I am not as concerned about Facebook or the owners of message boards as I am about the strangers who visit those places in order to gather information and use it to the harm of others. Not everyone who joins in a discussion is there for harmless fun. Some are seriously dangerous people and should be avoided. If you see a pattern - complete stranger suddenly shows up and wants to be your new best friend, too friendly, pattern of asking personal questions, constantly badgering for more information, it is a warning sign. Have nothing to do with them.

Victim of Scam | Scam Victim Comments | Scam Baiting Tips

Comments by M C on 2010-01-17 at 06:55:07
I was victim of a scam form Mr Allen Achille birthay Oct 14 1966, native frnch, he told me was living in Ottawa, Canada when I met him, said was sorting setting internet,but he can always change his story and sometimes travels to England, Paris, UK,he uses social and dating websites to find his victims,e mail adress and and messengers a he siad had a son in Uk, and he was not geting paid for his finished contract.we met July 2009,he started asking for financial assitance for his son Fergio Allen Achille who was going to college in UK. on Nov 2009 he started asking me to send money to a so called inheritance consultant Mr John Bailey Vaudin e mail adress , he asked me to send money to his assitant Mr Kenneth Francis in Kuala, Lumpur Malaysia to subit he so called inheritance his late father left him, we were supossed to meet in my hometown on DEc 2009, but Mr Achille supposly got sick of pneumonia, and was rushed to hopsital,some of his frinds sent me e mail to let me know he died on Dec 2009.So we never met. I got scamed with $10.000usd. Mr Achille is not really dead, he had anew account on WAYN.com and Netlog.com and he came online in yahoo messenger by accident while I was chating with a friend of mine..

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - its foolish and dangerous to share personal information on line. Its amazing how much people will share, especially on a very contentious board like this one.

You have no way of knowing who is reading what you write and there are some who would do you harm - if they could.
Don't give them the info they need.

Others are just lying, impotent, blowhards who talk big but can't back it up - like DarkFury
Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Point is, you have no way of knowing who is reading what you write.

You're right, Luddly. We really don't have any way of knowing who is reading what we write. Same for picture sharing. Who is viewing those photographs.

To be clear - I am not saying message boards are bad - I am saying - use wisdom and do not share personal information with a complete stranger just because they put up a survey! Share what you want to share not what others are trying to extract from you by whatever clever tactics they use.

It is big business for criminals too. I am not as concerned about Facebook or the owners of message boards as I am about the strangers who visit those places in order to gather information and use it to the harm of others. Not everyone who joins in a discussion is there for harmless fun. Some are seriously dangerous people and should be avoided. If you see a pattern - complete stranger suddenly shows up and wants to be your new best friend, too friendly, pattern of asking personal questions, constantly badgering for more information, it is a warning sign. Have nothing to do with them.
True. But we are adult people. The same threat lurks in RL.

True. But we are adult people. The same threat lurks in RL.
What is RL?

Forum List

Back