Individualism

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I have noted with some exasperation that many here fall into easy cliches about 'the West' and 'the East' in regards to generalizations about things like "respect," "individuality," "filial piety," "independence," "community," and the like. Not long ago a poster - of the same ilk as those who dismiss other people as "robots" or fear high expectations for children - stated as if an indisputable truth that "certainly in ancient China there was no individualism" or something to that effect. Facile and simplistic declarations like that are the foundation of ignorance and misunderstanding of peoples.

I have noted with some exasperation that many here fall into easy cliches about 'the West' and 'the East' in regards to generalizations about things like "respect," "individuality," "filial piety," "independence," "community," and the like. Not long ago a poster - of the same ilk as those who dismiss other people as "robots" or fear high expectations for children - stated as if an indisputable truth that "certainly in ancient China there was no individualism" or something to that effect. Facile and simplistic declarations like that are the foundation of ignorance and misunderstanding of peoples.
You've just now figured this out? :eusa_eh:

Well...if there is any proof that Asians are not robotic, it's you. Need some Kleenex to sop up all that drippin snatch?

Well...if there is any proof that Asians are not robotic, it's you. Need some Kleenex to sop up all that drippin snatch?

???

Who are you talking to?
bill.jpg

Because the Chinese are all the same. Kids wear uniforms at school and do the same for their leisure time.

Because the Chinese are all the same. ...

Ignorant nonsense.

Ignorant nonsense.

Point of view, but the facts speak for themselves. You see what you want to see, but the facts remain as facts.

In China, children are in school all day long. Usually from 8 am to 5-6 pm. They have no privacy, they only have to live for the community.

The “Chinese dream” ??
"President Xi Jinping is reshaping political education across China’s more than 283,000 primary and secondary schools for a new era." To Inspire Young Communists, China Turns to ‘Red Army’ Schools

Quotation from the article:
" “Today’s life is rich, blessed, happy and joyous,” she said. “Where does our happy life come from? Who gave it to us?”

In Ms. Xie’s classroom at the Workers and Peasants Red Army Elementary School, there was only one correct answer, and she had worked tirelessly to ensure her students knew it."
red armi chine.jpg

Another school:
"I went to the best high school at my city. There are 50 students in my class and only me, and another guy is not myopic. 90% of students(450 million people) are nearsightedness in my country."
Ten Facts about Chinese Education

kinai szemuveg.jpg

What should you really see????

In China, children are in school all day long. Usually from 8 am to 5-6 pm. They have no privacy, they only have to live for the community......

School is rigorous and competitive, but students do make their own privacy and "they only have to live for the community" is a slogan from 30+ years ago. Nonetheless, people were individuals then as well. And thousands of years before that as well. Humans are humans.

Btw, you don't become nearsighted from reading a lot, you become farsighted.

Do you say that something is black or white?

This is already in the 21st century. Nowadays, information has come straight into own house of people. A long time ago humans had must go to church or school for some knowledge. A long time ago only reading led to knowledge. Nowadays it is possible to learn in a humane way. If you can not go along with time, you will not be competitive.

Do you say that something is black or white?

This is already in the 21st century. Nowadays, information has come straight into own house of people. A long time ago humans had must go to church or school for some knowledge. A long time ago only reading led to knowledge. Nowadays it is possible to learn in a humane way. If you can not go along with time, you will not be competitive.

One more time, in English?

Ignorant nonsense.

Point of view, but the facts speak for themselves. You see what you want to see, but the facts remain as facts.

In China, children are in school all day long. Usually from 8 am to 5-6 pm. They have no privacy, they only have to live for the community.

The “Chinese dream” ??
"President Xi Jinping is reshaping political education across China’s more than 283,000 primary and secondary schools for a new era." To Inspire Young Communists, China Turns to ‘Red Army’ Schools

Quotation from the article:
" “Today’s life is rich, blessed, happy and joyous,” she said. “Where does our happy life come from? Who gave it to us?”

In Ms. Xie’s classroom at the Workers and Peasants Red Army Elementary School, there was only one correct answer, and she had worked tirelessly to ensure her students knew it."
View attachment 169088

Another school:
"I went to the best high school at my city. There are 50 students in my class and only me, and another guy is not myopic. 90% of students(450 million people) are nearsightedness in my country."
Ten Facts about Chinese Education

View attachment 169089

What should you really see????
I see robots.

`
`

In news/political forums like this, throughout the US at least, it is inhabited by a majority of hyper-partisan zealots. They live in a complete dichotomy. Everything is either their way or it is viewed as automatically wrong.There is no gray area, as it's almost the case with most humans. If you don't believe in exactly what they do, you become the enemy. There is no individualism, just the mindless group-think. They are not here for dialogue or discussion. They are here for the sole purpose of arguing their point and/or belittling those who don't agree with them.

`
`

In news/political forums like this, throughout the US at least, it is inhabited by a majority of hyper-partisan zealots. They live in a complete dichotomy. Everything is either their way or it is viewed as automatically wrong.There is no gray area, as it's almost the case with most humans. If you don't believe in exactly what they do, you become the enemy. There is no individualism, just the mindless group-think. They are not here for dialogue or discussion. They are here for the sole purpose of arguing their point and/or belittling those who don't agree with them.
It is stupid for Americans to argue the point with Maggdy who claims to have went to school in China and made an excellent case for 96% of the students being myopic. i.e., lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.

Some wannabe philosopher calls it ignorant nonsense simply because he refuses to accept the fact that real life experience trumps opinion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back