‘Incredibly intelligent, highly elusive’: US faces new threat from Canadian ‘super pig’

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
For decades, wild pigs have been antagonizing flora and fauna in the US: gobbling up crops, spreading disease, and even killing deer and elk.

Now, as fears over the potential of the pig impact in the US grow, North America is also facing a new swine-related threat, as a Canadian "super pig", a giant, "incredibly intelligent, highly elusive" beast capable of surviving cold climates by tunneling under snow, is poised to infiltrate the north of the country.

Damn Hosers

First it was their stupid freeloading geese and now this.

Very intelligent but have a weakness for crappy beer and are all very polite...

Wonder how long until "Snow Pigs" start showing up down here......At least they will provide some real Canadian bacon.

Damn, 600#.......45-70 time. ;)

For decades, wild pigs have been antagonizing flora and fauna in the US: gobbling up crops, spreading disease, and even killing deer and elk.

Now, as fears over the potential of the pig impact in the US grow, North America is also facing a new swine-related threat, as a Canadian "super pig", a giant, "incredibly intelligent, highly elusive" beast capable of surviving cold climates by tunneling under snow, is poised to infiltrate the north of the country.

Damn Hosers

Wonder how long until "Snow Pigs" start showing up down here......At least they will provide some real Canadian bacon.

sounds like an answer to world hunger,,

Damn Hosers

Wow, I thought you were talking about Turdeau at first.

Damn Hosers

Too bad the goddamn Canadian Communist government took away firearms from the citizens. Nobody will have the means to shoot them.

How long until they start breeding with the bears & Al Gore?
They'll be much dumber but more aggressive

manbearpig.gif

Poaching them one at a time. ;)
We have cousins in southeast Texas who are cattle farmers and the feral hogs there are just horrible--a threat to smaller farm animals, tear up lawns, flower beds, gardens, row crops. It got bad enough Texas changed its law to allow anybody to shoot these critters, even out of staters, with the landowners' permission. But they're smart, elusive, sneaky and extremely hard to catch in the act.

This 'super hog' is not good news.

We have cousins in southeast Texas who are cattle farmers and the feral hogs there are just horrible--a threat to smaller farm animals, tear up lawns, flower beds, gardens, row crops. It got bad enough Texas changed its law to allow anybody to shoot these critters, even out of staters, with the landowners' permission. But they're smart, elusive, sneaky and extremely hard to catch in the act.

This 'super hog' is not good news.

Yeah and most charge to hunt them.....Which amounts to a drop in the bucket given the way the hogs breed.

Professional trapping is the only viable solution but it's expensive and landowners using hog hunting as a income stream don't really welcome them with open arms.

Farmer John might welcome them to mitigate damage to his place but Rancher Jim next door who is making money off hunters on his scrubland won't let them trap when the pigs move.....Pigs are smart.

Yeah and most charge to hunt them.....Which amounts to a drop in the bucket given the way the hogs breed.

Professional trapping is the only viable solution but it's expensive and landowners using hog hunting as a income stream don't really welcome them with open arms.

Farmer John might welcome them to mitigate damage to his place but Rancher Jim next door who is making money off hunters on his scrubland won't let them trap when the pigs move.....Pigs are smart.
Wild pigs have been a problem in the coast range of CA for years. Many bay area counties hire professional hunters to keep the populations from intruding on urban areas. Many of the rural areas have systems in place for public hunts--private property owners charge to hunt their properties as well. I was fortunate to live near an area that was rife with wild pigs to the point that the ranchers in the area had a free community feed a couple times a year at local establishments. Mmmm mmmm good.

Wild pigs have been a problem in the coast range of CA for years. Many bay area counties hire professional hunters to keep the populations from intruding on urban areas. Many of the rural areas have systems in place for public hunts--private property owners charge to hunt their properties as well. I was fortunate to live near an area that was rife with wild pigs to the point that the ranchers in the area had a free community feed a couple times a year at local establishments. Mmmm mmmm good.
I've hunted them in FL before.....The lease was owned by a paper company and they had a guy come in and estimate the number of pigs that would have to be killed every year to keep the population in check....It was in the hundreds.

There was no way 35 or so weekend hunters could keep up so the paper company hired trappers. They got the job done and as a result other game started coming back in a big way.

I've hunted them in FL before.....The lease was owned by a paper company and they had a guy come in and estimate the number of pigs that would have to be killed every year to keep the population in check....It was in the hundreds.

There was no way 35 or so weekend hunters could keep up so the paper company hired trappers. They got the job done and as a result other game started coming back in a big way.
If you are ever in central CA, there is Pinnacles Nat'l Park. The area around this park is FULL of wild pigs and I am sure you would find some hunting options there.

If you are ever in central CA, there is Pinnacles Nat'l Park. The area around this park is FULL of wild pigs and I am sure you would find some hunting options there.
Blah, the whole pig hunting thing is way over-rated IMHO. The meat is meh at best but it did not cost me anything so I went. It was just part of a road trip with my dad anyway.

You may be right. I don't have any personal experience with it so my opinion probably isn't worth much. But I'm pretty sure our cousins would pay somebody at least a reasonable amount to get rid of the feral hogs that plague them.

Forum List

Back