In a world without guns...the strong and the many can brutally beat the weak and outnumbered...

Well I have known lots of people who have never needed one and neither have I. Heck I don't know anyone who has used one for defense. I'm really not sure why so many people think they need one. You are far more likely to be accidently shot than murdered with a gun. A study showed you are far more likely to be shot if you carry a gun. Stop being so paranoid and scared.

Yeah..well, that's all quite vague.."a study showed..."..I've seen THAT before..LMAO

Like I said, if you are ever in a situation where you need to defend yourself, I hope you remember all the people you know who never used a gun for self defense..I'm sure that will give you a feeling of moral superiority as the criminals beat the shit out of you....or rape/rob/carjack your wife/sister/mother/grandmother/daughter....

Look, I've never used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire in my house....but I still keep 2 handy.

Here you go.
Carrying a gun increases risk of getting shot and killed - science-in-society - 06 October 2009 - New Scientist

So because of all those things that are very unlikely to happen I should have a gun? Even though you are far more likely to be accidentally shot than ever need a gun for those reasons I should carry a gun? Even though carrying a gun makes you more likely to be shot?

How many times have people been killed by accidental fire extinguisher?

When that Vegas couple shot those cops and then went to the Walmart the only guy they killed was the armed guy. Having a gun isn't always a good thing.

Whatever, brain...you're right everyone else is wrong.
I hope you remember what you said here if you or a family member ever get attacked by criminals.

Who is everyone? I'm going on statistics and studies. Sorry but I won't be scared into anything especially when I have the statistics on my side. I suggest you also stop being so scared and paranoid.

In white Prince Edward Island, where there is strict gun control, the murder rate was 0.00 in 2012, and has averaged 0.4 over the past 5 years, which is ~60% less than NH, where its easy to own guns.

Homicide offences number and rate by province and territory Homicide rate

So what? You're now in the comical territory in order to prove something about Canada. PEI has only 145,000 people. Merrimack County in New Hampshire has a population of 146,849. It's largest city, Concord, recorded the following homicides:

2004 = 1
2011 = 1

From 2004 to 2014 there were 2 murders. That works out to an annual rate of 0.2 per year.

Most white murders are white on white murders. It's close to 90%. It has nothing to do with whether blacks or Hispanics are nearby.

Sure it does. Diversity destroys society. It corrodes trust, even within racial groups. In increases tensions, even within racial groups.

A state, or region, which is all white, or nearly so, will have higher social capital metrics than the white community found within a larger, multicultural state or region.

Here's a for instance. That all white state, with high trust levels, might manifest as people not being as paranoid about locking their doors or being startled at night by noises in the house or the backyard. The white homeowner in a highly multicultural state will be less trusting of his neighbors, even white neighbors, and so that noise in the middle of the night will make him more suspicious. Right here we create a scenario for a different response, perhaps armed response, which can result in different outcomes with respect to manslaughter or homicide, even when the victim is also white, perhaps a family member coming into the home late at night.

Diversity being corrosive to social capital levels within a society is a pretty solid social science finding.

Blacks living next door is why whites kill each other.

Right.

:thup:

Maybe the reason why blacks kill each other is because there are so many white people around.

lol

Or, maybe it's because white people love their guns, and it's so much easier to kill someone if you have a gun.

I wish I could help you with your chronic stupidity, but alas, that's even beyond my powers. Here's a hint, if you're going to play the snark card, then know what the fuck you're talking about. Just saying.

A bleak picture of the corrosive effects of ethnic diversity has been revealed in research by Harvard University’s Robert Putnam, one of the world’s most influential political scientists.

His research shows that the more diverse a community is, the less likely its inhabitants are to trust anyone – from their next-door neighbour to the mayor. . .

The core message of the research was that, “in the presence of diversity, we hunker down”, he said. “We act like turtles. The effect of diversity is worse than had been imagined. And it’s not just that we don’t trust people who are not like us. In diverse communities, we don’t trust people who do look like us.”

When the data were adjusted for class, income and other factors, they showed that the more people of different races lived in the same community, the greater the loss of trust. “They don’t trust the local mayor, they don’t trust the local paper, they don’t trust other people and they don’t trust institutions,” said Prof Putnam. “The only thing there’s more of is protest marches and TV watching.”

British Home Office research has pointed in the same direction and Prof Putnam, now working with social scientists at Manchester University, said other European countries would be likely to have similar trends.​

Bullshit billc bullshit. Prove it.

Look...I listed all the studies....if you don't believe the 19 studies, done by separate researchers, both private and government including the CDC and the Dept. of Justice....all the numbers that I have posted, in detail...from over 40 years of studying the issue....then that is on you, not me...you could deny one study....2 studies but 19? Really....the lowest number is 760,000 a year...the 1.4 was the average of the highest study numbers....

If these surveys were accurate they would all arrive at around the same number.

the minimum number...760,000 a year...that is the number almost all of the studies have in common on the low end...

What don't you guys get...normal people only shoot when they absolutely cannot avoid it...unlike some here who fantasize that pre 2nd amendment people can't wait to shoot someone...that is not the case, never has been...so when the criminal backs down, there is no need and no desire to just kill him for the fun of it...

Then you have media bias...I listed several shootouts...big ones, from Youtube that were covered locally....but they didn't break the national media...one of the shoot outs I posted involved several car loads of Zeta cartel members highjacking a truck that happened to be a bait truck with a confidential informant in it...that shootout involved both federal and local law enforecment in a residential neighborhood...two things going on there...the national media supports the amnesty agenda so will not cover a story like that that draws attention to the border in a bad way...and the gun angle where armed drug cartel members were running through an apartment complex to avoid capture...

You guys are the delusional ones...

Zeke....again..
.You can't, I've asked many time. You come up with one, or two maybe three.

Do I have to list all the studies again...not my studies...not something I made up but studies by the CDC, the Dept. of Jusice, one under obama the other under bill "the serial sexual predator" clinton, plus about 17 others....they did the research and the studies cover 40 years of research....

Here you go Zeke...just for you...

Okay...again...here are all the studies that actually give numbers for guns used to save lives and stop crimes taken from the table I provided from guncite.com...

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIa 1978...2,141,512

DMIb...1978...1,098,409

Hart...1981...1.797,461

Ohio...1982...771,043

Mauser...1990...1,487,342

Gallup...1991...777,153

Gallup...1993...1,621,377

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,682

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million
(Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms (text,PDF). Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually.)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
.(Lawrence Southwick, Jr.,Guns and Justifiable Homicide: Deterrence and Defense-concludes there are at least 400,000 "fewer violent crimes due to civilian self-defense use of guns" and at least "800,000 violent crimes are deterred each year because of gun ownership and use by civilians.")

Obama's CDC...

from slate.com an article on CDC obama's era...500-3 million defensive gun uses

Handguns suicides mass shootings deaths and self-defense Findings from a research report on gun violence.

7. Guns are used for self-defense often and effectively. “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year … in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008,” says the report. The three million figure is probably high, “based on an extrapolation from a small number of responses taken from more than 19 national surveys.”

Yes....tell me all of these separate studies are wrong....here is another one...read the whole article...it will enlighten you....here are the stats from another study...

But skeptics will always be skeptical and antis will always prefer their own “reality” so (without questioning its validity) let’s go ahead and throw the K-G number out in favor of a more conservative one. Let’s use the numbers from the study which was commissioned by the Clinton DoJ shortly after the K-G study came out (to refute the K-G numbers maybe? If so: Oops!). That study, conducted by Dr.s Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig (very strong proponents of very strict gun control) concluded that there were 1.46 million DGUs per year.

Applying those restrictions leaves 19 NSPOF respondents (0.8 percent of the sample), representing 1.5 million defensive users. This estimate is di- rectly comparable to the well-known estimate of Kleck and Gertz, shown in the last column of exhibit 7. While the NSPOF estimate is smaller, it is statis- tically plausible that the difference is due to sampling error. Inclusion of multiple DGUs reported by half of the 19 NSPOF respondents increases the estimate to 4.7 million DGUs.

Some troubling comparisons. If the DGU numbers are in the right ballpark, millions of attempted as- saults, thefts, and break-ins were foiled by armed citizens during the 12- month period. According to these re- sults, guns are used far more often to defend against crime than to perpe- trate crime. (Firearms were used by perpetrators in 1.07 million incidents of violent crime in 1994, according to NCVS data.)

See, a lot of the crimininologists who have studied the subject, started out as anti gunners...for example, Dr. Gary Kleck, the current punching bag of the anti gunners and John Lott, who started out not caring about guns and was anti gun in his leanings....and above Cook and Ludwig were anti gun as well...

So we aren't talking pro gun people when they began studying the issue...but the facts changed their minds...

Dennis Henigan on Chardon Clockwork Edition - The Truth About Guns

Last edited:
Bullshit billc bullshit. Prove it.

Look...I listed all the studies....if you don't believe the 19 studies, done by separate researchers, both private and government including the CDC and the Dept. of Justice....all the numbers that I have posted, in detail...from over 40 years of studying the issue....then that is on you, not me...you could deny one study....2 studies but 19? Really....the lowest number is 760,000 a year...the 1.4 was the average of the highest study numbers....

If these surveys were accurate they would all arrive at around the same number.

the minimum number...760,000 a year...that is the number almost all of the studies have in common on the low end...

What don't you guys get...normal people only shoot when they absolutely cannot avoid it...unlike some here who fantasize that pre 2nd amendment people can't wait to shoot someone...that is not the case, never has been...so when the criminal backs down, there is no need and no desire to just kill him for the fun of it...

Then you have media bias...I listed several shootouts...big ones, from Youtube that were covered locally....but they didn't break the national media...one of the shoot outs I posted involved several car loads of Zeta cartel members highjacking a truck that happened to be a bait truck with a confidential informant in it...that shootout involved both federal and local law enforecment in a residential neighborhood...two things going on there...the national media supports the amnesty agenda so will not cover a story like that that draws attention to the border in a bad way...and the gun angle where armed drug cartel members were running through an apartment complex to avoid capture...

You guys are the delusional ones...

You have to deny all the studies because they don't arrive at the same number. If they all arrived at approximately the same number then there might be something to them. Instead they go from 400k to 3 million? That shows how inaccurate they are.

This is probably the most accurate:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

You have no proof those didn't hit the national media. I'm pretty sure I remember the Zetas on one on the national media actually. Don't make things up.

But there's no evidence that the decrease in their murder rates was solely as a consequence of banning firearms.

You could check levels of police man power....that is a huge factor in fighting crime...

I'm really not sure why so many people think they need one. You are far more likely to be accidently shot than murdered with a gun. A study showed you are far more likely to be shot if you carry a gun. Stop being so paranoid and scared.

Brain....you didn't look at the research...accidents with guns have a higher likely hood in homes with abuse, or drug or alcohol problems...if you aren't a criminal, don't abuse substances, and don't beat loved ones the odds of having an accident are really small...

Here is some actual research Brain...

GunCite-Gun Accidents

In Targeting Guns, Dr. Kleck concludes in part, "Most gun accidents occur in the home, many (perhaps most) of them involving guns kept for defense. However, very few accidents occur in connection with actual defensive uses of guns. Gun accidents are generally committed by unusually reckless people with records of heavy drinking, repeated involvement in automobile crashes, many traffic citations, and prior arrests for assault.

Gun accidents, then, involve a rare and atypical subset of the population, as both shooters and victims. They rarely involve children, and most commonly involve adolescents and young adults."

"The risk of a gun accident is extremely low, even among defensive gun owners, except among a very small, identifiably high-risk subset of the population. Consequently, it is doubtful whether, for the average gun owner, the risk of a gun accident could counterbalance the benefits of keeping a gun in the home for protection: the risk of an accident is quite low overall, and is virtually nonexistent for most gun owners." (p 321)

I'm really not sure why so many people think they need one. You are far more likely to be accidently shot than murdered with a gun. A study showed you are far more likely to be shot if you carry a gun. Stop being so paranoid and scared.

Brain....you didn't look at the research...accidents with guns have a higher likely hood in homes with abuse, or drug or alcohol problems...if you aren't a criminal, don't abuse substances, and don't beat loved ones the odds of having an accident are really small...

Please provide some statistics. I'm pretty sure you could say the same thing about ever needing a gun. If you aren't a criminal, don't abuse substances, and don't beat loved ones will never need one.

Here is some actual research Brain...

GunCite-Gun Accidents

In Targeting Guns, Dr. Kleck concludes in part, "Most gun accidents occur in the home, many (perhaps most) of them involving guns kept for defense. However, very few accidents occur in connection with actual defensive uses of guns. Gun accidents are generally committed by unusually reckless people with records of heavy drinking, repeated involvement in automobile crashes, many traffic citations, and prior arrests for assault.

Gun accidents, then, involve a rare and atypical subset of the population, as both shooters and victims. They rarely involve children, and most commonly involve adolescents and young adults."

"The risk of a gun accident is extremely low, even among defensive gun owners, except among a very small, identifiably high-risk subset of the population. Consequently, it is doubtful whether, for the average gun owner, the risk of a gun accident could counterbalance the benefits of keeping a gun in the home for protection: the risk of an accident is quite low overall, and is virtually nonexistent for most gun owners." (p 321)

Where is the value in that? He seems to be comparing it to other accidents. That doesn't change that you are far more likely to be accidently shot than murdered by a gun.

Extrano s Alley a gun blog The history of gun control is perfectly clear. Gun control enables killers.

Accidental gun deaths since Jan. 1, 2014...from the CDC.

vs....1.4 million defensive gun uses where a life is saved and a violent crime is stopped...

You have no numbers even close to that Brain...

Number close to that? First the 1.4 million is a number you made up. You do not have verified accounts to back that up. Nor do you have a body count to back that up. There are about 20,000 accidental shootings each year and far fewer murders. And you also have no idea how many lives are saved. Murder is a tiny percent of all crime.

First the 1.4 million is a number you made up

Brain, don't lie...I did not make that numbe up...I gave you a list of all the studies that look at the number of times a gun is used to save a life and stop a violent crime...

Graph Showing Gun Deaths As A Percentage Of All Deaths In America Extrano s Alley a gun blog

2,480,000 Americans die every year. 119,733 were accidental. 606 of those were fatal firearms accidents. In addition, there were 8,503 gun related homicides.

2010 Accidental Deaths, All Ages

You do not have verified accounts to back that up

Okay Brain....list all the news clips of accidental deaths due to guns...I need to actually see...all of them...right...? That is the standard you want even after 19 studies over 40 years....show us all the newspaper, television and internet articles that have stories on each accidental gun death....that should be easy...you say there are 20,000 get to it...right? We'll be waiting here for all 20,000 and using your standard...if you can't post it...it doesn't exist...right?

First the 1.4 million is a number you made up

Brain, don't lie...I did not make that numbe up...I gave you a list of all the studies that look at the number of times a gun is used to save a life and stop a violent crime...

Graph Showing Gun Deaths As A Percentage Of All Deaths In America Extrano s Alley a gun blog

2,480,000 Americans die every year. 119,733 were accidental. 606 of those were fatal firearms accidents. In addition, there were 8,503 gun related homicides.

2010 Accidental Deaths, All Ages

Yes you have a list of inaccurate studies that are not backed up by any reality. Then you averages them out or something and pretend that is somehow accurate. That's not how it works Bill.

You do not have verified accounts to back that up

Okay Brain....list all the news clips of accidental deaths due to guns...I need to actually see...all of them...right...? That is the standard you want even after 19 studies over 40 years....show us all the newspaper, television and internet articles that have stories on each accidental gun death....that should be easy...you say there are 20,000 get to it...right? We'll be waiting here for all 20,000 and using your standard...if you can't post it...it doesn't exist...right?

We have real statistics on those Bill, not just surveys...

We have real statistics on those Bill, not just surveys...

Sorry Brain....that means it should be easy to post all the stories...right? that is your standard...right? So, I'll monitor this site as you post all 20,000 news stories covering these alleged accidents involving guns...since you have actual statistics on your side...it will be easy...and if you don't post it...it doesn't exist...

There are approximately 20,000 accidental shootings each year. You claim there are 1.4 million defenses each year. Yet I can find more news stories of accidental shootings than defensive shootings. Wake up.

"According to a 2003 study published in the American Journal of Public Health, the risk of homicide against women increases 500 percent when a gun is present in domestic violence situations, and the FBI estimates that in 2010, 64 percent of women murdered with guns were killed by a current or former intimate partner. The Violence Policy Center reports that in 2010, the number of women shot and killed by partners was six times higher than the number killed by strangers using all other weapons combined.

In Texas, the numbers echo national estimates: the Texas Council on Family Violence reports that, in 2011, firearms were used in 64 percent of 102 cases where women were murdered by current or former intimate partners. The FBI also estimates that, in states where a background check is required for every handgun sale, 38 percent fewer women are shot and killed by abusive partners. Texas is not one of those states.

When it comes to the should-haves and could-haves of domestic violence murders, one “should” appears to be clear: Domestic abusers should not have access to firearms. But abusers can easily sidestep background checks by purchasing from private sellers, or shopping for weapons at a gun show, and efforts to close those loopholes have been thwarted."

A Grim Tally Abusers Guns and the Women They Kill

Forum List

Back