IMF: U.S. Debt Very Concerning

Austerity is the IMF's program. It makes no economic sense. It is something that is politically salable and benefits haves over have-nots.

Austerity makes perfect sense. It simple means that one is responsible with money,i.e, inflow equals outflow so you are not constantly drowning in debt. Do you understand now?

Let me know when you craft an answer as to how austerity means you're
How does it mean one is "responsible with money"?

Please be specific.

as I said it means inflows equal outflows so you are not constantly drowning in debtt

- Whose inflows, whose outflows?

Okay, so if I have a business in which my inflows exactly equal my outflows, you consider that a success?

95% of this debt is caused by our wars, healthcare system, welfare and medicare. At least that is what the break down of the federal budget says it is.

A combined infrastructure, science and r&d portion of this budget is around 5%! You're not going to be blaming our debt on them. I deal with facts.

- Yet oddly, the IMF is selling a conservative program: austerity.

Your statement doesn't seem to make much sense once we apply a little logic to it, now, does it?

dear, the IMF, in effect, make welfare loans to poor countries which liberals love. When the crippling welfare loans don't get paid back the IMF puts pressure on to reform rather than throwing good money after bad. Now do you understand?

Please be specific.

as I said it means inflows equal outflows so you are not constantly drowning in debtt

Why not look at the causes of the debt instead of outright slash, cut and fuck??? We need to look at our wars, healthcare system and welfare.

Please be specific.

I've never heard anyone say that an equal inflow and outflow of money to a business meant the business was responsible, and that anything else was irresponsible.

That's a new one.

dear, we're talking mostly about governments here, and balanced budgets.

Your statement doesn't seem to make much sense once we apply a little logic to it, now, does it?

dear, the IMF, in effect, make welfare loans to poor countries which liberals love. When the crippling welfare loans don't get paid back the IMF puts pressure on to reform rather than throwing good money after bad. Now do you understand?

- How about we focus on the economics of this?

Is it responsible of a business to have equal income and outflows, and no other outcome is responsible?

So is it irresponsible for companies to have greater inflow than outflow?

95% of this debt is caused by our wars, healthcare system, welfare and medicare. At least that is what the break down of the federal budget says it is.

A combined infrastructure, science and r&d portion of this budget is around 5%! You're not going to be blaming our debt on them. I deal with facts.

we're talking about debt to IMF from third world countries that borrowed money for development

Please be specific.

Why not look at the causes of the debt instead of outright slash, cut and fuck??? We need to look at our wars, healthcare system and welfare.

- Work with me. I'm trying to get Edward to look at this a little more logically than rhetorically.

Is it responsible of a business to have equal income and outflows, and no other outcome is responsible?

my understanding is that IMF loans mostly to countries for development??

Please be specific.

I've never heard anyone say that an equal inflow and outflow of money to a business meant the business was responsible, and that anything else was irresponsible.

That's a new one.

- Do you normally call 53-year-old married men "dear"?

Oh, I see - we're talking about GOVERNMENTS.

But you're saying that their income and outflow must be equal.

Why?

Who is it that creates money?

Let me ask this another way.

If we want the private sector as a whole to make a profit - that is to grow, we assume that its real growth is somehow monetized.

The private sector must have a surplus, then. It must have a net inflow of money, a flow of money to itself that is greater than its outflow.

If money must net flow IN to the private sector, then it must net flow OUT of somewhere else.

From whence must it flow?

well a Balance sheet is supposed to balance isn't it??

- A budget is a spending plan, not a balance sheet.

And a balance sheet balances whether an entity has a net inflow or outflow of money.

A flow of money in or out is a FLOW (income statements measure flows. GDP is a flow. Profit is flow.

Balance sheets measure stocks - they are momentary snapshots. Debt is a stock. A deficit is a flow.

To understand what's going on here, and to understand conceptually whether a government's budget OUGHT to balance or not, it is important to be very clear about the differences between stock and flow accounting.

Please be specific.

That's a new one.

- Do you normally call 53-year-old married men "dear"?

Oh, I see - we're talking about GOVERNMENTS.

But you're saying that their income and outflow must be equal.

Why?

Who is it that creates money?

Let me ask this another way.

If we want the private sector as a whole to make a profit - that is to grow, we assume that its real growth is somehow monetized.

The private sector must have a surplus, then. It must have a net inflow of money, a flow of money to itself that is greater than its outflow.

If money must net flow IN to the private sector, then it must net flow OUT of somewhere else.

From whence must it flow?

you seem confused!!. Money from the govt flows into the private sector as needed to avoid inflation and deflation.

- Yes - they're selling DEBT.

- Let that sink in.

- Yes - they're selling DEBT.

- Let that sink in.

yes IMF makes loans. And your point is????????????

Forum List

Back