I don't understand this

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
I went to a large High School, most of us were average teenagers, but a few had exceptional talent; a 15-year-old girl posted a perfect score on a Scholastic Aptitude Test designed for 18-year old's, but the thought of college bored her, all she wanted was to get married and have kids. Today she's a twice divorced grandmother living in a mobile home. A 15-year-old boy posted a 1:53 second 800-meter time in a P.E. class breaking the school record set by the schools fastest senior, who had logged thousands of grueling miles while training. The boy didn't care about running, his only real interest was smoking pot. He died at the age of 22 while driving drunk. While the masses grind through life, many dreaming they could be more than what they are now, but without the aptitude to do so, some have it given to them freely, and while a few do take advantage of their gifts and go on to accomplish great things, many more do not. Why is so much talent wasted on those who just don't care? I don't understand this....

I went to a large High School, most of us were average teenagers, but a few had exceptional talent; a 15-year-old girl posted a perfect score on a Scholastic Aptitude Test designed for 18-year old's, but the thought of college bored her, all she wanted was to get married and have kids. Today she's a twice divorced grandmother living in a mobile home. A 15-year-old boy posted a 1:53 second 800-meter time in a P.E. class breaking the school record set by the schools fastest senior, who had logged thousands of grueling miles while training. The boy didn't care about running, his only real interest was smoking pot. He died at the age of 22 while driving drunk. While the masses grind through life, many dreaming they could be more than what they are now, but without the aptitude to do so, some have it given to them freely, and while a few do take advantage of their gifts and go on to accomplish great things, many more do not. Why is so much talent wasted on those who just don't care? I don't understand this....
It's called "life choices"

There are many talented people, but few with star qualities.

Things I was good at didn't interest me either. Worse was the things I was interested in I wasn't good at. Oh Well. :(

Meh, doing well for you and yours is life's greatest reward.

If a person does not want to apply or develop the skills necessary to work towards that end then they aren't much of a much and I reject them out of hand.

We had a set of twin boys in HS that were great at everything they set out to accomplish, stars in athletics and academics but I knew even back then that they would go no farther than the funeral home their dad owned.

They didn't but they applied themselves to running/expanding the business and have done very well for themselves and their families. That's all that really mattered in the end. They are very respected in our community.

In fact they (or their kids) will be the ones planting me by and by. ;)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Maybe the "greatest generation" was great because of the challenges and the draft. The draft would yank kids off the couch and away from childish video games and give them direction and dicipline. Two years service would earn them a college education.

Maybe the "greatest generation" was great because of the challenges and the draft. The draft would yank kids off the couch and away from childish video games and give them direction and dicipline. Two years service would earn them a college education.
I tend to agree with you, but not sure that is the case with Biden's woke military. I don't know that I'd enlist in today's US military.

Meh, doing well for you and yours is life's greatest reward.

If a person does not want to apply or develop the skills necessary to work towards that end then they aren't much of a much and I reject them out of hand.

We had a set of twin boys in HS that were great at everything they set out to accomplish, stars in athletics and academics but I knew even back then that they would go no farther than the funeral home their dad owned.

They didn't but they applied themselves to running/expanding the business and have done very well for themselves and their families. That's all that really mattered in the end. They are very respected in our community.

In fact they (or their kids) will be the ones planting me by and by. ;)
I work for a family-owned residential rental business. The owners are third generation kids who have college degrees but took over the business when their father died. It was a ready-made profitable career for them without the stress, competition, pettiness, back-stabbing, and personal politics found in many corporate businesses, especially for those starting out. I remained an employee for many of these same reasons.

I work for a family-owned residential rental business. The owners are third generation kids who have college degrees but took over the business when their father died. It was a ready-made profitable career for them without the stress, competition, pettiness, back-stabbing, and personal politics found in many corporate businesses, especially for those starting out. I remained an employee for many of these same reasons.
I worked for a couple of gents that learned how to make wine from a high school library book. They parlayed that knowledge into the largest winery in the world--privately owned by their third generation at this time. It provided a profitable career for me and 90+ years of local residents. Perseverance.

FUK THEM! The "greatest generation" was no better than anyone else. They just happened to live through the 30's depression and WW2. Any other generation would have reacted the same way. They weren't "Great"

Forum List

Back