I don't Facebook or Tweet or any of that other shit

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I consider it all poison. Part of the reason for the decline of the social skills of our nation. Everyone has gotten so accustomed to spewing vitriol from an unchallenged position behind a keyboard that they have forgotten how real discourse works. Our children are growing up in a society where problem solving is done by posting the most hateful bullshit from the anonymous Internet. A place where their voice, no matter how good or bad, has no consequences. The damage it has done can be seen on near any college campus where free speech is considered an infringement on your rights or safe space.

I signed up once when my daughter joined the Army & near instantly removed myself from it after seeing how bad it was. I will NEVER again be a part of what the unsocial among us consider being social.

Now I realize some of you will see irony in this post considering I am often very offensive on USMB but I'm not actually trying to change any minds. I'm just here for the shits & grins. And believe it or not this is my first & only interactions in an online setting like this.

Everyone I hang out with on Facebook is very nice. Being grownups, we just avoid politics.

Now, there's always that one conservative relative. Mine insists on endless Mises Institute cut-and-pastes. But on Facebook, you can block a person's posts without unfriending them, so everyone does exactly that. That way, the loudmouth doesn't even know everyone else is ignoring them.

And young people, they don't use Facebook. As my 14-year-old niece put it, "Facebook is for old people."

I am on all of them. I am the political guru to the majority of my several hundred friends on FaceBook, I follow conservatives on Twitter and converse with them. I save Instagram for picture posting.

To me, social media is the way to influence potential voters.

I consider it all poison. Part of the reason for the decline of the social skills of our nation. Everyone has gotten so accustomed to spewing vitriol from an unchallenged position behind a keyboard that they have forgotten how real discourse works. Our children are growing up in a society where problem solving is done by posting the most hateful bullshit from the anonymous Internet. A place where their voice, no matter how good or bad, has no consequences. The damage it has done can be seen on near any college campus where free speech is considered an infringement on your rights or safe space.

I signed up once when my daughter joined the Army & near instantly removed myself from it after seeing how bad it was. I will NEVER again be a part of what the unsocial among us consider being social.

Now I realize some of you will see irony in this post considering I am often very offensive on USMB but I'm not actually trying to change any minds. I'm just here for the shits & grins. And believe it or not this is my first & only interactions in an online setting like this.
I'm actually live-tweeting about this thread as we speak!

I don't use any of those things.

If you need social interaction put down your fucking phone, and computer and go out and meet some real people. You'd be amazed at how fulfilling the "real world" is......:thup:

CYeSB9JWkAAyXYL.jpg

. . . . same as it ever was. . . .

If you need social interaction put down your fucking phone, and computer and go out and meet some real people. You'd be amazed at how fulfilling the "real world" is......:thup:

The real world sucks.

Well Grandpa 'GMTA'... :bow2:

I was just going to start a thread re: this very subject. I don't do facebook or tweeter either. I have several long time friends (before internet friends) that try to get me to facebook all the time. I just don't have no desire. Why do I want to tell the people that would follow me that I had a great BM this morning and there is a dead sparrow on my patio.:dunno:

I don't Facebook and am not a Twit who Tweets. Perhaps when I retire (hopefully early next year) I'll sign up for Facebook to keep in touch with other retirees and brothers. I'll post pictures of my dogs and cats plus the roadrunner that hangs around in the yard. I could post some movie reviews (mostly film noir and horse operas from the 1940's) in a comical vain. I've been going through Allan "Rocky" Lane westerns (or as my pop used to call them "shoot-em-ups") on Amazon Prime these past few weeks. Always entertaining.

Oh the irony of this thread.

You guys crack me the hell up

Forum List

Back