i can see this turning ugly

And blu's a liar.

Prove that her degree can only be awarded if she foreswears her beliefs and embraces homosexuality as something that is hardwired.

Being wrong does not make one a liar.

Immie

I guess there is a confusion of terms here. the link I gave spcially showed the aca saying those that teach that being gay is reversible are not practicing under their guidelines or as a professional

However, Ms. Keeton says that she would not do so.

Immie

There is definitely more to this story. She may have been failing out. There were no remedial writing courses when I was in grad school.

Jennifer Keeton has completed one year of her Masters degree in counselor education. At the end of the first year, she was presented with a remediation plan, or courses to improve in certain areas.

That plan includes classes to improve writing and grammar skills, as well as workshops to make her more sensitive to the gay population -- something her instructors say is necessary for her to be an effective counselor.

Student sues ASU, claims Christian beliefs not accepted

Good thread blu. Your title was perfect.

There is definitely more to this story. She may have been failing out. There were no remedial writing courses when I was in grad school.

Jennifer Keeton has completed one year of her Masters degree in counselor education. At the end of the first year, she was presented with a remediation plan, or courses to improve in certain areas.

That plan includes classes to improve writing and grammar skills, as well as workshops to make her more sensitive to the gay population -- something her instructors say is necessary for her to be an effective counselor.

thanks, the remedial wring stuff is quite interesting. especially in a profession where you have to note everything and communicate effectively with peers, teaches, parents, etc

I am seeing a bit of a publicity stunt here and crying about anti-christian discrimination

And what of the GLBT students this woman may someday encounter? Where's our compassion for them? If she is unable to deal with people with dignity, respect and knowledge, she cannot be a public school counselor.

I don't see the problem.
Coming late to the party, I'm just getting started reading replies.

Madeline, I totally understand your concern for her future GLBT students she may counsel. Though she considers them sinners, she also calls herself one.

Thieves, drunks, and fornicators are sinners too. Where is the concern for them? She'd be dealing with all of these issues as a counselor.

The ones that think that a Christian counselor can't be objective with a gay person is just as closed-minded as they are accusing her of being.
Does the opposite hold true? Can these other counselors be objective when working with a straight person?

I applaud the young lady for standing by her Bible and faith and not caving. :clap2:

thanks, the remedial wring stuff is quite interesting. especially in a profession where you have to note everything and communicate effectively with peers, teaches, parents, etc

I am seeing a bit of a publicity stunt here and crying about anti-christian discrimination

I don't buy the "remedial writing" excuse. She is a graduate student. She didn't get there not knowing how to write. That is nothing more than an excuse.

Immie

And what of the GLBT students this woman may someday encounter? Where's our compassion for them? If she is unable to deal with people with dignity, respect and knowledge, she cannot be a public school counselor.

I don't see the problem.

Madeline, I totally understand your concern for her future GLBT students she may counsel. Though she considers them sinners, she also calls herself one.

Thieves, drunks, and fornicators are sinners too. Where is the concern for them? She'd be dealing with all of these issues as a counselor.

The ones that think that a Christian counselor can't be objective with a gay person is just as closed-minded as they are accusing her of being.
Does the opposite hold true? Can these other counselors be objective when working with a straight person?

I applaud the young lady for standing by her Bible and faith and not caving. :clap2:

As I read the OP, my friend was sitting here. He's gay. He immediately said "she's teaching hate." I looked at him and said, "You know my beliefs, am I teaching hate?"

He answered "No." and changed his mind. Your own beliefs are your own and just because you think something is wrong or a sin, doesn't mean you hate those who are like that, or that you can't counsel them. Now, if she was one of those Baptists protesting at soldiers funerals, I'd say "flunk her", but she's not.

I don't see the problem.

As I read the OP, my friend was sitting here. He's gay. He immediately said "she's teaching hate." I looked at him and said, "You know my beliefs, am I teaching hate?"

He answered "No." and changed his mind. Your own beliefs are your own and just because you think something is wrong or a sin, doesn't mean you hate those who are like that, or that you can't counsel them. Now, if she was one of those Baptists protesting at soldiers funerals, I'd say "flunk her", but she's not.

if you counsel them that they that can turn back to being straight than you are going against your professions code of conduct in this instance

So, if I were to become President, for example, I don't have to swear the oath to defend and stick by the Constitution?

If I were to become a doctor, I don't have to abide by the HO?

I don't see the problem.

YOU CAN'T FLUNK PEOPLE BASED ON THEIR POLITICAL AND RELIGIOUS VIEWS.

Jesus H. Christ.

She wouldn't be accredited just because of her religion. It wouldn't even be about her belief on homosexuality/homosexuals.

It would be based on how she would APPLY her beliefs on sexuality into her job.

I'm going to be a lawyer. I'm very libertarian-oriented, so I'll probably have tons of heated arguments with lots of liberal lawyers. Those are my BELIEFS. But if my actions ever conflicted with the ABA's code of conduct, I'm in trouble.

I can pass the bar with my beliefs. I can even apply my beliefs in the legal world in some way. But I have to realize there are certain rules that govern the world of legal practice.

if you counsel them that they that can turn back to being straight than you are going against your professions code of conduct in this instance

Wouldn't it be unfair to accuse her of doing something like this before she has even entered the profession?

She made the remark that she would not do such a thing.

Wouldn't it be the right thing to do to give her the benefit of the doubt? You know... innocent until proven guilty.

Immie

I agree. But how would they know that prior to employment? If their religion states that homosexuality is a sin and they don't deny that in grad. school, would they be expelled? Methinks not.
If they publicly argued against the teachings of the professors, they would be.

No Muslims graduated from my Microbiology program, simply because they refused to accept the teachings in half of the classes. The only Baptist (whom I am friends with) simply wrote what the professors were expecting to see, only disagreeing with evolution privately (with friends, such as myself).

Granted, we all teased him about it, but since he didn't make a scene about his beliefs, the professors did not care.

Hmmm....I'm seeing the beginnings of some attempt to make a stand, make a statement. The same thing some here accused that HS student in Mississippi of doing when she couldn't take her date to the prom and wear a tux.

Supposing that you just counsel them? Most counselors don't make judgments, they get you to talk and make your own judgments. Remember their tools? "How do you feel about that?" "How does that make you feel?" "What do you think you should do about that?" etc. no judgments, just talk.

No, I didn't read the whole article.

So it was clear, or it said that?

Because if this is one of those "it's implied" things again, again, it's the same as "I'm guessing".

So did we find the rule that gives this school the discretion of dumping scholars for their views on homosexuality?

Does this school take federal $$? Because if it does, it's shit out of luck.

Wouldn't it be unfair to accuse her of doing something like this before she has even entered the profession?

She made the remark that she would not do such a thing.

Wouldn't it be the right thing to do to give her the benefit of the doubt? You know... innocent until proven guilty.

Immie

yes, its actually a point that confuses me. unless of course she told the professors or admins that she *would* do that and it wasn't reported yet

Supposing that you just counsel them? Most counselors don't make judgments, they get you to talk and make your own judgments. Remember their tools? "How do you feel about that?" "How does that make you feel?" "What do you think you should do about that?" etc. no judgments, just talk.

Progressives can't imagine anyone foregoing the opportunity to coerce people into prescribed boxes.

That's why they want to now dictate who gets a degree based upon their political and religious views, instead of their scholarly ability and work.

Forum List

Back