Hypocrisy of today's youth attending country clubs with textbooks

cnelsen

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
Washington, DC
Steve Sailer is, in my view, the most insightful and intelligent (and prolific?) writer writing today. Here, he makes a great point about American universities, which like to hold themselves out as bastions of liberal orthodoxy and the SJW students who pretend to be down with the oppressed of the world while fighting fiercely to gain a permanent spot in the most permanent repository of privilege: academia.

I have to admit They have a point about not wanting to have to leave. Universities are at the still point of a turning world. When I was a child in the 1960s, the two most famous colleges were Harvard and Yale. They were the Pan Am and TWA, the Kodak and Polaroid, the Woolworth and Montgomery Ward of education.

Today, while so many once-flourishing companies have gone the way of Nineveh and Tyre, Harvard and Yale are still the Harvard and Yale of colleges.

Indeed, they’ve been that for a remarkably long time for American institutions: Yale dates to 1701 and Harvard to 1636.

The other two most famous universities in the world today are likely Cambridge, which was founded in 1201, and Oxford, whose origins are lost in the mists of time (a date of 1096 is sometimes suggested).

In truth, higher-education institutions are less often engines of social change than they are preservers of class privilege. They are country clubs with textbooks.
One can imagine the tortured thinking that motivates a white college sophomore at an expensive liberal arts college to denounce white privilege. He is cravenly shifting the guilt he feels personally for his privileged position as a university student to his entire race, which, as he's been told by Hollywood for as long as he can remember, is the one race it is OK to hate. It is certainly no misfortune to him if his entire race is on the hook for protecting his individual position. There is strength in numbers.

Don't hate me for my privilege, hate my entire race.

Hogwash 101

Nice read. TY for sharing.

Sailer writes, "liberal young adults seem to love their schools." Why shouldn't they? College is a great place to be when one doesn't know what one wants to do. Young adults these days have spent so much of their formative years merely being heard. That's unique in the annals of human history. Being heard is something that in my youth one earned by doing more than what it takes to obtain an Internet enabled device.

Our most recent crop of 20-somethings spent the entirety of their formative years sharing whatever absurd thought crossed their mind and receiving the approbation of myriad others like them. And what is the catalyst of the liking? Nothing other than others having the same thought.

Contrast that with what young people of the 1990s and before had to do to (1) be heard, much less garner accolades for what one said. They had to have something of critical merit to say. That's very different from merely having something one wants to say and saying it. So, what we have now is a generation of young adults who are quite adept at the mechanics of saying whatever they want, but not nearly so facile at saying something worth hearing.

It's no surprise such individuals want to protract their college years. What are they -- the ones who are not something-laude grads and who, instead, are merely loud -- to do when they leave? College is a great place for being heard. That's what they know how to do, so staying, naturally, is what aim to do.

• Banned
So, what we have now is a generation of young adults who are quite adept at the mechanics of saying whatever they want, but not nearly so facile at saying something worth hearing.
And even less adept at defending whatever burps out of their mouths.

Forum List

Back